Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 06:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
I am just curious as this is a extended family issue and it doest personally affect me.

One of my younger family members was arrested on a drug charge. He told his parents he didn't do anything. Like most normal parents. His bail was set a 5,000 and his parents didn't post it. It would of cost about 500-700 to get a 5,000 dollar bond. His parents definitely had the money. They said they wanted to teach him a lesson and they didn't want anyone to bail him out either. They had found a bag of weed under his bed months ago (literally no bigger that a 20$ bag) and he must be selling to. Anyway as time went on the case was dismissed. The public defender was able to get the case thrown out so the case must of been very week in the first place since public defenders usually aren't very good. They were able to get video from outside of restaurant to show that the police statements of what occurred were false. He was held in jail in rikers island (a really terrible for anyone who doesn't know) for four months.

Anyway he is released from jail and refuses to go home. Won't speak to his parents because they didn't believe him. He moved in with our aunt. From what she said he said some pretty terrible things to them. I am sure he wont be able to graduate from H.S on time because he missed four months of school. That means he out of luck for whatever colleges he got into. This also made our last family functions very uncomfortable.

What would you do in this situation? Would you speak to your parents? If you were the parent would you do this?

I personally feel having a 20$ bag of weed is a huge jump from a drug dealer especially for a pretty decent kid with good grades.
Parents should have bailed him out. Now the entire family is paying the price of their stupidity. If they don't know now they made a terrible, life altering mistake, then they'll never admit it. There isn't anything you can do to make them know it.

If the parents had acted properly, the entire case might have been dropped quickly, and certainly the kid would have been back in school. I think the kid will be estranged from his parents for a long time, and this will not be to anyone's benefit. Its really too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 06:55 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddiva View Post
*Shrug* Do you honestly think that making him stay at Rikers for months is better than letting him out then giving him a fair trial?
Apparently everyone he knew felt that way.
No one bailed him out... even his friends did not come through for him. His teachers. his neighbors...

Old 05-22-2016, 07:11 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No one bailed him out... even his friends did not come through for him. His teachers. his neighbors...
That somehow makes it ok for a 17yr old innocent kid to be beaten and raped?

Old 05-22-2016, 07:26 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Parents should have bailed him out. Now the entire family is paying the price of their stupidity. If they don't know now they made a terrible, life altering mistake, then they'll never admit it. There isn't anything you can do to make them know it.

If the parents had acted properly, the entire case might have been dropped quickly, and certainly the kid would have been back in school. I think the kid will be estranged from his parents for a long time, and this will not be to anyone's benefit. Its really too bad.

These are most likely the type of parents who would never even consider that they may have made a mistake. There are even those on CD who say they would do the same to their child.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:41 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
That somehow makes it ok for a 17yr old innocent kid to be beaten and raped?
Boggles the mind that you think that....

Old 05-22-2016, 07:59 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Poor kid.

It seems like a lot of people defer to parental authority when perhaps they ought to get involved. I can understand the mindset though, as I tend to stay out of other people's business...

So sad for this kid though, that he went through this life-altering ordeal needlessly. And now he knows his parents assumed the worst about him, were apparently hoping he was guilty, and that they can't be trusted to be there for him when he needs them most. Poor kid.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:04 PM

238 posts, read 227,511 times
Quote:

They may not have had any idea what was going on with him, where he was, that he was being held at Rikers, any of it. I certainly don't know everything going on in my extended family's life and they don't know what's going on in mine. I doubt he was given unlimited opportunities to contact aforementioned people and most likely had only his parents / home number without his cell phone, which I am sure was taken away.

My nephew was in jail, I was glad, hoping it would straighten him up because he was bad news. He got the everlovin' crap beat out of him, in a "nice" prison, and I still thought he got less of a sentence than he could and possibly should have, even though he was not a violent person. I love(d) that kid like a son, but he walked down a bad path that he couldn't seem to get out of and kept repeating the same idiotic mistakes. He didn't deserve to get beaten so severely that he was hospitalized, but I didn't think his sentence was unfair, still don't. Very, very few people knew what was going on in his life, we just aren't the type to go spreading our business. None of the neighbors knew. None of his teachers. No co-workers, friends or distant relatives.

I don't think putting it on anyone but the parents for not bailing him out is fair. He (my nephew) has since OD'd on drugs because he couldn't face going back to jail and couldn't or wouldn't stop his criminal behavior and wanted out. It's tragic, it's something we live with every day, but I don't blame the people who turned him in or anyone else, not the bullies in jail or even the guards who knew what was going on but didn't stop it, but the thing is, he had his day in court and was sentenced for the crimes he committed, we didn't just not post bail and let him rot til then. That's the difference. We made his bail, he went to trial and then had to live with the consequences of his actions. We still loved him, just not his behavior. There's a difference. We didn't just say f*** you, have a crummy life, sucks to be you.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:33 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
I am just curious as this is a extended family issue and it doest personally affect me.

One of my younger family members was arrested on a drug charge. He told his parents he didn't do anything. Like most normal parents. His bail was set a 5,000 and his parents didn't post it. It would of cost about 500-700 to get a 5,000 dollar bond. His parents definitely had the money. They said they wanted to teach him a lesson and they didn't want anyone to bail him out either. They had found a bag of weed under his bed months ago (literally no bigger that a 20$ bag) and he must be selling to. Anyway as time went on the case was dismissed. The public defender was able to get the case thrown out so the case must of been very week in the first place since public defenders usually aren't very good. They were able to get video from outside of restaurant to show that the police statements of what occurred were false. He was held in jail in rikers island (a really terrible for anyone who doesn't know) for four months.

Anyway he is released from jail and refuses to go home. Won't speak to his parents because they didn't believe him. He moved in with our aunt. From what she said he said some pretty terrible things to them. I am sure he wont be able to graduate from H.S on time because he missed four months of school. That means he out of luck for whatever colleges he got into. This also made our last family functions very uncomfortable.

What would you do in this situation? Would you speak to your parents? If you were the parent would you do this?

I personally feel having a 20$ bag of weed is a huge jump from a drug dealer especially for a pretty decent kid with good grades.

A lot of things isn't adding up here. I haven't' read through the entire thread so maybe it's been mentioned already. For one, they don't throw you into prison, ie, Rikers island when you haven't been convicted, they don't put HS kids in prison without an adult level conviction. They don't keep you in plain ol jail for Maryjane possessions, they constantly let out low level offenders to make room in jails for higher level crimes. If he's a HS kid they most certainly wouldn't put in jail or prison with adult grown men.

There are a lot of things that don't add up. But in playing along with this scenario, they parents did what they had to do and left him in jail to learn a lesson. That would have been a reaction to finding the bag of dope a month earlier, if they hadn't then leaving him to rot in jail is just harsh, it's harsh either way, but finding a bag of dope probably would have scared them a bit and letting him sit in jail for a little while might have made some sense to the parents.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
A lot of things isn't adding up here. I haven't' read through the entire thread so maybe it's been mentioned already. For one, they don't throw you into prison, ie, Rikers island when you haven't been convicted, they don't put HS kids in prison without an adult level conviction. They don't keep you in plain ol jail for Maryjane possessions, they constantly let out low level offenders to make room in jails for higher level crimes. If he's a HS kid they most certainly wouldn't put in jail or prison with adult grown men.
That's incorrect. Riker's Island does hold older teenagers, including some who can't post bail (that's part of its function). Doubt it holds any marijuana offenders. Technically Riker's Island is a jail not a prison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rikers_Island

Old 05-22-2016, 09:10 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's incorrect. Riker's Island does hold older teenagers, including some who can't post bail (that's part of its function). Doubt it holds any marijuana offenders. Technically Riker's Island is a jail not a prison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rikers_Island

Ok, fair enough, but are they going to hold a low level offender with most likely a short history of criminal offenses for four months??? I know they make room all the time in jails for higher level offenses. Heck, DUI's and pot busts are routinely let go, but for them to hold him for so long just doesn't make sense, unless he was moving 50 pounds of the stuff. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships