Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 09:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Ok, fair enough, but are they going to hold a low level offender with most likely a short history of criminal offenses for four months??? I know they make room all the time in jails for higher level offenses. Heck, DUI's and pot busts are routinely let go, but for them to hold him for so long just doesn't make sense, unless he was moving 50 pounds of the stuff. LOL
It's the lack of bail not the offense. But they wouldn't hold someone for four month for a crime that typically has less than four month jail sentence. The OP hasn't said what the specific offense was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 09:29 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's the lack of bail not the offense. But they wouldn't hold someone for four month for a crime that typically has less than four month jail sentence. The OP hasn't said what the specific offense was.

Another reason why the story sounds like bull. I inferred it was a drug bust based on what the OP said about the parents finding MJ under his bed or where ever they found it.

IDK, this isn't adding up to me.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:17 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,767 times
Quote:
Ok, fair enough, but are they going to hold a low level offender with most likely a short history of criminal offenses for four months??? I know they make room all the time in jails for higher level offenses. Heck, DUI's and pot busts are routinely let go, but for them to hold him for so long just doesn't make sense, unless he was moving 50 pounds of the stuff. LOL
Consider the case of Kalief Browder. His case is unique but not exceptional.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:30 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
I've posted multiple links about Rikers in this thread. They certainly do hold minor juvenile offenders for months on end. It's a hell-hole. In response to all the reports of brutality, some changes were made in early 2015, but it's unclear if they've had a positive effect. If you read about it, I think you'll be shocked.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:32 AM

493 posts, read 511,854 times
Quote:
Another reason why the story sounds like bull. I inferred it was a drug bust based on what the OP said about the parents finding MJ under his bed or where ever they found it.

IDK, this isn't adding up to me.
Its all in the thread. Rikers is a holding area for people who do not post bail. It is a jail. People go upstate usually if they are sentenced. Everyone is held there. Women, men, minors, and the mentally ill. It is a entire island off of queens and has many buildings. Even though they are now thinking of closing it down since it does more harm than good and generates a ridiculous amount of lawsuits for the city.

The weed under his bed is not why he was arrested it is why is parents didn't bail him out.

I mentioned his charges already. I also said I wasn't following his case. I knew when he got arrested and only realized he was still in jail when my cousin said they had to go to his court date. Most people post bail unless they are a serious offender and have high bail. Cases in nyc can be dragged on for a year or two until someone is convicted. He is actually blessed they decided not to indict him he would of been there for almost a year.

I think most people don't follow up on their extended family. If he was my nephew or someone that close I would have bailed him out.

5,000 bail is very low. People facing felonies don't get 5,000 bail. The bail bondsman all over the city and like 100 around every court house. The court even takes credit card.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:36 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddiva View Post
They may not have had any idea what was going on with him, where he was, that he was being held at Rikers, any of it. I certainly don't know everything going on in my extended family's life and they don't know what's going on in mine. I doubt he was given unlimited opportunities to contact aforementioned people and most likely had only his parents / home number without his cell phone, which I am sure was taken away.

My nephew was in jail, I was glad, hoping it would straighten him up because he was bad news. He got the everlovin' crap beat out of him, in a "nice" prison, and I still thought he got less of a sentence than he could and possibly should have, even though he was not a violent person. I love(d) that kid like a son, but he walked down a bad path that he couldn't seem to get out of and kept repeating the same idiotic mistakes. He didn't deserve to get beaten so severely that he was hospitalized, but I didn't think his sentence was unfair, still don't. Very, very few people knew what was going on in his life, we just aren't the type to go spreading our business. None of the neighbors knew. None of his teachers. No co-workers, friends or distant relatives.

I don't think putting it on anyone but the parents for not bailing him out is fair. He (my nephew) has since OD'd on drugs because he couldn't face going back to jail and couldn't or wouldn't stop his criminal behavior and wanted out. It's tragic, it's something we live with every day, but I don't blame the people who turned him in or anyone else, not the bullies in jail or even the guards who knew what was going on but didn't stop it, but the thing is, he had his day in court and was sentenced for the crimes he committed, we didn't just not post bail and let him rot til then. That's the difference. We made his bail, he went to trial and then had to live with the consequences of his actions. We still loved him, just not his behavior. There's a difference. We didn't just say f*** you, have a crummy life, sucks to be you.
Exactly. People seem to be confusing pretrial detention with being punished for a crime. The consequences of being found guilty of a crime are whatever the court dishes out. This kid was presumed innocent on the day he went in and was innocent on the day he left because there wasn't enough evidence to convict him.

If his parents thought he was guilty, or had had enough of his BS, they could have bailed him out and kicked him out of the house. At least he would have had a fighting chance.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:03 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
Did you actually read the post. His was arrested on a drug charge and cleared. His parents excuse for not bailing him out was that months before he was arrested they found a 20$ bag of weed under his bed a must be going down a wrong path. The two did not happen at the same time.
He was not sentenced to four months he sat in jail for four months because no one posted bail.
Most courts will assume that 500$ bond is very low. Im not sure I know of anyone who stayed in jail for something so low.
Why didn't others rally together, raise the money and have him released on bail?

Old 05-23-2016, 11:22 AM

258 posts, read 347,527 times
Quote:
Its all in the thread. Rikers is a holding area for people who do not post bail. It is a jail. People go upstate usually if they are sentenced. Everyone is held there. Women, men, minors, and the mentally ill. It is a entire island off of queens and has many buildings. Even though they are now thinking of closing it down since it does more harm than good and generates a ridiculous amount of lawsuits for the city.

The weed under his bed is not why he was arrested it is why is parents didn't bail him out.

I mentioned his charges already. I also said I wasn't following his case. I knew when he got arrested and only realized he was still in jail when my cousin said they had to go to his court date. Most people post bail unless they are a serious offender and have high bail. Cases in nyc can be dragged on for a year or two until someone is convicted. He is actually blessed they decided not to indict him he would of been there for almost a year.

I think most people don't follow up on their extended family. If he was my nephew or someone that close I would have bailed him out.

5,000 bail is very low. People facing felonies don't get 5,000 bail. The bail bondsman all over the city and like 100 around every court house. The court even takes credit card.
What's done is now done. It is obvious you feel really unhappy for the kid. I do too, after reading your posts. This is a horrible thing to happen to anyone, let alone at that age, and that too, months away from getting out of high school.

I think the most important part is being missed in this entire thread. The most important part for the young man now is to rebuild his life. Get back into high school, hit the books, get into a college, get a degree that will given him a decent job, get a job that gives him a living wage, etc.

At his age, and with what has happened to him - the incarceration, the betrayal from his immediate family - can easily get him to spiral out of control. As a distant relative, you could not prevent this stuff from happening in time. But can you, and do you want to, help fix this young man's life now? More than anything, he could do with some good guidance, a strong parental figure in his life, someone he can vent to, and someone who can guide him to not let his emotions become self-destructive.

And yes, the toughest part - someone who can repeatedly counsel him to stop thinking about the past, and move on. He will either self-destruct or will grit his teeth and wear his horrible past experiences like a cloak and use to to power him. I sincerely hope it will be the latter. But I do think he could really use some help at this stage.

Last edited by asliarun; 05-23-2016 at 11:59 AM..

Old 05-23-2016, 02:42 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
OP, it would be nice if you would actually find out what he was CHARGED with, exactly. Like many who have posted, I think there is a LOT more to the story that you've left out.

And then we have this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
That somehow makes it ok for a 17yr old innocent kid to be beaten and raped?
Seriously? Now you are convinced that he was beaten and raped? No evidence of that, no MENTION of that actually (and I'm sure the OP would have told us if it had actually happened, since she clearly sides with her cousin), so you have just made up new "facts" to add to the story. (Your next post will probably be, "Poor kid, dying at Rikers because his parents didn't bail him out, it's outrageous!")

And as others have pointed out, having charges dismissed doesn't mean he was "innocent." Prosecutors only take cases that they are convinced they can WIN -- just because they choose not to prosecute a particular case doesn't mean the person didn't do what he/she was charged with.

OP, report back when you actually have the full, complete story (what an idea!), including exactly what he was charged with.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:48 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
The whole case was dismissed he wasn't guilty of anything. His parents assumed because they had found weed previously that it must be true. But many kids smoke weed they are not criminals.
Not necessarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships