Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 07:55 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Diana -- read this article. It'll help you understand what you're dealing with.

Estranged From My Mother on Mother's Day

Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a very tough thing to deal with in a parent. They don't get better. They use and use and use. If they need someone to kick around -- they'll keep you around.

Read the article and then Google NPD: Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

And remember, when people on here are implying that you're ungrateful, they haven't likely encountered a parent with NPD (they don't even know that they don't know). NPD people are horrible to grow up around.

You need to be stealthy: graduate and make a plan to quietly move out. Even if it takes months. Go slowly and don't make a lot of noise/drama about moving. When it's finally obvious what you're doing just say quietly and firmly that you found a place etc. Act as matter-of-fact as possible. If you tell these people too much, they try to squash your plans and ideas.

PM me if you need more info., but start with the above article and Google NPD.

Take good care of yourself,

Alley
NPD? You can't be serious. She's 30 living at home and you dx'd the mom to have NPD from one post?!

I'd be over a dirty room too if my kid was 30 living at home. I have a mother that has NPD so save the lecture.

NPD...please.

Fyi- you aren't "paying all your own bills" if you're living at home.

Last edited by LLCNYC; 05-25-2016 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 09:49 PM

25 posts, read 17,392 times
Thank you all who gave me good advise. I very much appreciate it. I guess the bottom line and the point Im trying to make is it's hard to understand people who are mean to you when you have done nothing wrong to them. I don't know why my sisters are just rude to me out of the blue and my mother as well.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:31 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Honey, get some counselling.....it will help you all the way around. Anyone 30 (almost) yrs old, living at home, with no friends and their family is all "out to get them" has issues a forum can not solve. If you are not a troll and this is a legitimate post, it is a cry for help.

Get the help you need so you don't waste your life wondering why the world is out to get you and can have some quality of life in the future.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:57 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Honey, get some counselling.....it will help you all the way around. Anyone 30 (almost) yrs old, living at home, with no friends and their family is all "out to get them" has issues a forum can not solve. If you are not a troll and this is a legitimate post, it is a cry for help.

Get the help you need so you don't waste your life wondering why the world is out to get you and can have some quality of life in the future.
^^^ Yes.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:23 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabanana123 View Post
Thank you all who gave me good advise. I very much appreciate it. I guess the bottom line and the point Im trying to make is it's hard to understand people who are mean to you when you have done nothing wrong to them. I don't know why my sisters are just rude to me out of the blue and my mother as well.
No one here is equipped to explain that with any accuracy. Hoping for an explanation is not sensible, as no one here has observed the interactions IRL. You won't find the answer to 'why' here. It could be you deserve every bit of it. Could be you deserve none of it. Could be, probably is, somewhere in between.

If you want a better life, there's a path. Whether you take it, that's up to you.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:13 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times
Quote:
My goodness people here are on the attack like no other. All I want to know is how to establish a better relationship with my sisters and mother. How many times do I have to say going to school full time and working part time is extremely hard and right now I dont have the money to live on my own.
You seem to view any criticism as 'being attacked'. What you are not getting is the point that you live at home for free(we assume), yet insist on stating that you support yourself, and get upset when the reality of the situation is put to you. Maybe showing your parents some appreciation for their continuing financial assistance would help the situation. If your living situation was really THAT bad, than you would have to make some tough decisions, like putting school on hold and getting a full time job so you can move out. Many people before you have had to do just that, so if you accept their charity, suck it up till you leave.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:05 AM

9 posts, read 8,595 times
Default Opinion

Quote:
I am one step closer to completely cutting ties with my family, however easier said than done. I am 30 years old in college ALMOST DONE! ready and so anxious to embark on this new journey and freedom my life will take me once I have graduated college. I still live at home with my mom and dad because unfortunately, I simply cannot afford to move out on my own at this time and I do not have any friends I could live with either. I am a pretty lonely person but I do not let it get me down unless I wish I had some sort of friend or escape I can go to when it comes to dealing with my family.

My sisters are horrible to me. They like to gang up and blame me for everyone's problems. The thing is, I don't do anything! I have spent time with myself figuring out if I have done anything on my end to make them treat me like this and I can honestly say with all my heart, I haven't. My mom takes their side ALWAYS. They could call me every name in the book, say that I am a failure, yell, whatever, and my mom will blame me for it and never my sisters. My sisters get away with everything. I am so sick and tired of being treated like this. I cannot sit down with any of them and tell them how I feel because again, they will put the blame on me instead of listening to me and try to make an attempt as to how I feel. If anything it will make the situation worse. I do not see any resolution in sight for this. I am STRONGLY considering once I have graduated college and get a job to cut off ties with them completely. I have dealt with this long enough and I can't do it anymore. Any support or advise to anyone on here that is in or has gone through the same experience I am going through right now is greatly appreciated.
Its best to focus on your studies......and spend as minimal time possible with them. (For now) Find a friend to have conversations with about it.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:10 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
My goodness people here are on the attack like no other. All I want to know is how to establish a better relationship with my sisters and mother. How many times do I have to say going to school full time and working part time is extremely hard and right now I dont have the money to live on my own.

There are some people in here who have been too harsh on you. Its way too easy to judge from behind a computer screen. Living with your parents at 30 may not be the best situation but there are far worse things one could be dealing with. Hopefully you are close to being able to finish school so you can work full time and get your own place. This is the only way you can free yourself from the arguing and fighting. Family can be a blessing but it also can be a curse. Sometimes relatives should simply mind their own business. It also can be necessary to reduce or eliminate the involvement relatives have in your life. Life is too short to have toxic people ruining your happiness. Having said that it is better to get along with relatives, but sometimes you just cannot fix these relationships. Getting along is a two way street. Good luck to you.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:53 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72
There are some people in here who have been too harsh on you.
Yes Im ashamed of you guys!!

Old 05-26-2016, 11:55 AM

25 posts, read 17,392 times
I am almost done with school. I graduate less than a year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships