Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 11:28 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,326 times

Advertisements

You should split the cost of the room and re evaluate your friendship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 12:18 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
I have traveled with people like this, and they are very aggravating. He should have split the cost of the hotel as a matter of course, regardless as to his expenses to get to the destination. If he cannot afford the airfare and hotel, then he should not go that route.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-25-2016, 01:48 AM

7,702 posts, read 5,445,119 times
Do you really enjoy spending your free time around this wannabe freeloader?

Old 05-25-2016, 06:23 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
well, he thinks I am the one keeping score since I booked the hotel and asked if we are going to split it. The reason I asked is otherwise he will not pay his share AND he will say I am being cheap for asking.
Life is too short to waste time with people who create stress like this. Cancel the trip and seek out new friends.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:45 AM

666 posts, read 642,134 times
As several other folks have said, abort abort. You should be splitting the hotel. If you do get him to agree to do so he's going to nickel and dime you the whole trip, maybe even worse since I feel like he'll be bitter and salty over the hotel situation.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:45 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,350,616 times
Quote:
So my friend who lives in Arizona is coming to join in on a trip to San Diego. I live in Los Angeles so it will be a drive down for me but he has to fly in which will cost him a few hundred bucks I think. He thinks I should pick up the entire tab for the hotel since he has the expense of flying. I think we should just share the cost of the hotel 50/50 since the fact that he is flying is not exactly my issue. He thinks that is not how friends operate.

Is he being reasonable?
Quote:
well, he thinks I am the one keeping score since I booked the hotel and asked if we are going to split it. The reason I asked is otherwise he will not pay his share AND he will say I am being cheap for asking.
Yuck, I'd be second guessing my trip right about now...

And your friend is in the wrong here. My husband and I flew down to visit my sister. We stayed at a few hotels along the way and we split each hotel room three ways.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
We traveled with friends who had airline pass back when that was easier to get flights...
We never expected them to help pay for our tickets and didn't expect them to say comp our room to make up for our more expensive fares.
They did use their guest passes on one trip for our tickets but was a little unnerving because flying on passes might have meant we missed a flight if higher rated employees wanted to fly-
He had very high rating for their tickets but guest passes were on lower level...

I hope this works out for the OP but some people don't handle unequal budgets very well.
We have some friends who are always reluctant to pay for a shared meal and wind up covering the tab much more often...
we don't see them that often so it is just price of admission, so to speak...

Old 05-25-2016, 07:50 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
I wouldn't mind paying if I know our friendship is enduring and mutually beneficial in more ways than just money. There are lots of things in life that money can't buy and good friendship is one of them.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:13 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
What does the bolded mean? Is there another reason for the trip, and he is just tagging along? Are other people going? Is the entire point of the trip for you 2 to meet up?

Generally, I agree with the others. Split the room. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

I agree - OP, please answer this.

Did you ask him to come? I need more information.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:27 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I wouldn't mind paying if I know our friendship is enduring and mutually beneficial in more ways than just money. There are lots of things in life that money can't buy and good friendship is one of them.

This is what I wanted to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships