Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 12:35 PM

341 posts, read 265,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Follow the lead of your fellow co-workers and do not concern yourself with this guy. Yes, he is out there.
Besides he will not be employed at your place of business very long. Once he refuses to give HR a new SS number with his new name, out he goes.
Why would he be fired for practing his right?He does NOT have give the HR SS its not required
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 12:39 PM

341 posts, read 265,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
His ideas are no different than many who have come before him and his ideas are not from another planet they just do not fall within society's acceptable range of normal.
To you and the others on this thread he is *not normal, mentally ill, etc*.
To him you and the others on this thread are *not normal, mentally, etc*.

Who gets to decide who is right?

PS ~~ If you did not want to slant the thread you probably should not have mentioned Kurdish. So much for keeping nationality out of things.
Agree most successful people in the world or society always had minds out the norm,the young man is smart and unquie and EVERYTHING he is saying is well right.I'm kinda like him people say"oh your mentality ill" or your not normal,define normal for me..

Old 05-28-2016, 03:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwali2009 View Post
Why would he be fired for practing his right?He does NOT have give the HR SS its not required
Employee's Social Security Number (SSN)
You are required to get each employee's name and Social Security Number (SSN) and to enter them on Form W-2. (This requirement also applies to resident and nonresident alien employees.) You should ask your employee to show you his or her social security card. The employee may show the card if it is available. You may, but are not required to, photocopy the social security card if the employee provides it. Record each new employee's name and social security number from his or her social security card. Any employee without a social security card should apply for one using Form SS-5, Application for Social Security Card (PDF). The Social Security Administration (SSA) offers social security number (SSN) verification and quick access to relevant forms and publications.
Do not accept an ITIN in place of an SSN for employee identification or for work. An ITIN is only available to resident and nonresident aliens who are not eligible for U.S. employment and need identification for other tax purposes. You can identify an ITIN because it is a 9-digit number, beginning with the number "9" and is formatted like an SSN (NNN-NN-NNN).
Note: An individual with an ITIN who later becomes eligible to work in the United States must obtain an SSN.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...ring-employees

Edited to add: sometimes people are paid off book, that is, paid in cash and the wages are not recorded and processed as a paycheck. In that case, the employee is obligated to declare them at tax time, even though I know many do not. If one does not have recorded wages paid into SS, then one can't draw benefits later in life, or if one becomes disabled. Also, any surviving children may not qualify for benefits if one has died leaving dependent children. There are exceptions to the latter, but I am not a qualified tax pro. I am sure someone else knows more details.

It isn't in anyone's interest for an employee to not divulge his or her SS#, and it really makes no sense to try not to do so.

Either the young man is inexperienced and naive, or perhaps he is unbalanced or worse.

Apparently, he has been given an explanation of this, and he either conforms or he gets canned.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:03 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,696,722 times
Quote:

Uhhhhhhh...................we don't happen to work together, do we ?????

Old 05-28-2016, 04:09 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Quote:
Wrong.

In the United States it is illegal to hire someone without a valid SS# with a very few limited exceptions (migrant illegal aliens in tobacco comes to mind) and your employment must be EVarified through Homeland Security. Employers risk steep fines if they do not comply, somewhere in the area of $5000 an employee?

HR would not let him skate over this however he does not have a new SS#.

https://www.uscis.gov/e-verify

Old 05-28-2016, 04:19 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,456,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
I guess this is the correct place to post this question. There is a young guy I know through work, I have only known him for a couple of months. (I am not going to get into his nationality here to keep this thread on track). Anyway, he is in the process of changing his name from a very American name to one from his "native country". The new name will not have a first or last name, just one name (like Cher). I asked him about the reason for changing it, and he said "Because I more closely associate myself with my heritage, which is Kurdish, not with the name that was given to me by my Mother and Father."

That, in itself, seemed odd to me, but it gets stranger from there. He is VERY militant and is anti everything. He refuses to have a new Social Security number with his new name, and will not have a driver's license (although he will continue to drive). He says the Government has no authority to require him to have any documentation of his existance and he does not want to be controlled by anyone. I had to ask about that, and he said his new "nationality" does not require him to have any record of his existance. He has notified the HR Dept at work that he will not provide them with a new SS number or any other documentation once he has his new name.

Finally, the other day he was sending certified letters to various departments of the Internal Revenue service, telling them he wants them to provide proof that they are allowed to collect income taxes. I kinda got into a discussion with him on the sanity of him doing that, and he said they are an illegal operation and something about the money they collect going to King George, not America.

We asked him how he expects to drive without a license and he said "If you research it, you are only required to have a driver's license if you drive for work, and I do no drive for work." He said he has been stopped by the police and demands to see their authority to make him have a driver's license, and he says they always let him go .

No one I know seems very concerned about this guy, but he is out there. He is not an unpleasant person, but when you start asking him questions he becomes very radical and says he knows what he is doing.

Any thoughts ?
Stay away from him and don't talk about him with others. He sounds like a nut.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:20 PM

49 posts, read 230,942 times
So when HR tells his mgr/supervisor to fire him, does he come back with a weapon & go postal? Sounds like he needs to visit a therapist. Also seems he's listening to early AM talk radio.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:35 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,231 times
When you change your name, you don't get a new social security number, you just get a new social security card. HR may has for proof of the name change, but if they've already e-verified him, they likely won't care.

There are a fair number of people that mistakingly believe they can tell the IRS that they refuse to pay taxes because they're illegal because they weren't ratified by the all the states. These people will not be successful with this argument.

It sounds like this person is getting a lot of misinformation and is ignorant to the realities of some of the things that he's doing. Since he's not asking for you to help him to understand how these things work, I wouldn't bother having the conversation. I have a coworker who insists that smoking is not bad for your health and that the government is lying to us. Having the conversation with him hurts me more than it helps him, so I ignore him and go about my business. it sounds like this is what your other coworkers are doing, and it might be a good plan. At least in your case your coworker is pleasant to work with.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:23 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,173,857 times
OP, your co-worker is a P.O.S., and possibly mentally ill. People that think the rules don't apply to them are a-holes.

I can't see him lasting that long on the job. I would seriously distance yourself from him - if people associate you with him then it may end up reflecting badly on you.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 05-29-2016 at 12:37 AM..

Old 05-29-2016, 08:16 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,114,432 times
OP you're saying a lot of the same excuses that people said after the San Bernardino shootings. They all said that the shooter "seemed quiet" and "didn't appear to be violent" and other such things. This guy you're talking about is displaying alarming behavior that is very suspicious.

I think since you're so afraid of reporting him then you should write an anonymous letter to your HR department about him and then keep your distance from the guy. I don't know where you're at but I'm truly seriously concerned here that the next workplace violence situation reported on the news will be yours if you don't do something about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships