Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 10:11 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,352 times

Advertisements

I guess this is the correct place to post this question. There is a young guy I know through work, I have only known him for a couple of months. (I am not going to get into his nationality here to keep this thread on track). Anyway, he is in the process of changing his name from a very American name to one from his "native country". The new name will not have a first or last name, just one name (like Cher). I asked him about the reason for changing it, and he said "Because I more closely associate myself with my heritage, which is Kurdish, not with the name that was given to me by my Mother and Father."

That, in itself, seemed odd to me, but it gets stranger from there. He is VERY militant and is anti everything. He refuses to have a new Social Security number with his new name, and will not have a driver's license (although he will continue to drive). He says the Government has no authority to require him to have any documentation of his existance and he does not want to be controlled by anyone. I had to ask about that, and he said his new "nationality" does not require him to have any record of his existance. He has notified the HR Dept at work that he will not provide them with a new SS number or any other documentation once he has his new name.

Finally, the other day he was sending certified letters to various departments of the Internal Revenue service, telling them he wants them to provide proof that they are allowed to collect income taxes. I kinda got into a discussion with him on the sanity of him doing that, and he said they are an illegal operation and something about the money they collect going to King George, not America.

We asked him how he expects to drive without a license and he said "If you research it, you are only required to have a driver's license if you drive for work, and I do no drive for work." He said he has been stopped by the police and demands to see their authority to make him have a driver's license, and he says they always let him go .

No one I know seems very concerned about this guy, but he is out there. He is not an unpleasant person, but when you start asking him questions he becomes very radical and says he knows what he is doing.

Any thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 11:04 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
Follow the lead of your fellow co-workers and do not concern yourself with this guy. Yes, he is out there.
Besides he will not be employed at your place of business very long. Once he refuses to give HR a new SS number with his new name, out he goes.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:11 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
It sounds more like a mental problem than anything else. You can't talk sense into someone with that kind of issue.

I image he'll run into some issues with not having the proper documentation for his new name...with no ID, how do you cash a check, or go to the doctor? If he won't give HR documentation for his new name, they'll probably have to issue his checks, insurance ID cards, etc. in his old name. For that matter, if he doesn't think anyone has any right to ask for documentation of his existence, he's probably not going to court to change his name, which might be why he won't provide any paperwork for the new name.

If the police let him go when he wants them to prove their authority to make him have a license, that's because they don't want to spend their whole shift dealing with someone with mental issues. One day he'll run into a cop with nothing better to do than prove it to him.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:33 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
He sounds mentally ill, frankly.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:58 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,144 times
I would stay far away from him. Don't poke the bear and engage him in conversations that you know are hot button topics. If he's borderline paranoid delusional, then you could set him off.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:19 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
He's obviously a kook and paranoid. I would keep my distance but be observant of him. I know that if it was me, I wouldn't trust him.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:33 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Just because he changes his name doesn't mean he'll get a new SS number. That goes with the person, not the name.

I agree with the others: keep your distance. This guy has his own sense of reality and it's not pretty.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:01 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,352 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. It is really bizarre. On one hand, he is a quiet, nice young guy who is really easy to get along with (and pretty intelligent), but he harbors this deep anti everything dislike for anything that has authority attached to it.

A perfect example is, a customer of ours got a ticket for $250 for leaving his car sitting in the fire lane while he shopped. He went up to the customer and said " You didn't sign anything so they can't make you pay it, and besides, make them show you where they have the authority to tell you where you can park." The customer looked at him as if he had two heads.

One thing that has crossed my mind is, whenever we hear about some non Muslim person who has, for some reason, become radicalized and joined some group like ISIS, we all wonder how that could happen. How could any young person start thinking that way ? I sort of feel I have gotten a glimpse into that world. Here is an otherwise normal young man whose ideas are from another planet. Very odd.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:06 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. It is really bizarre. On one hand, he is a quiet, nice young guy who is really easy to get along with (and pretty intelligent), but he harbors this deep anti everything dislike for anything that has authority attached to it.
A perfect example is, a customer of ours got a ticket for $250 for leaving his car sitting in the fire lane while he shopped. He went up to the customer and said " You didn't sign anything so they can't make you pay it, and besides, make them show you where they have the authority to tell you where you can park." The customer looked at him as if he had two heads.
One thing that has crossed my mind is, whenever we hear about some non Muslim person who have, for some reason, become radialized and joined some group like ISIS, we all wonder how that could happen. How could any young person start thinking that way ? I sort of feel I have gotten a glimpse into that world. Here is an otherwise normal young man whose ideas are from another planet. Very odd.
His ideas are no different than many who have come before him and his ideas are not from another planet they just do not fall within society's acceptable range of normal.
To you and the others on this thread he is *not normal, mentally ill, etc*.
To him you and the others on this thread are *not normal, mentally, etc*.

Who gets to decide who is right?

PS ~~ If you did not want to slant the thread you probably should not have mentioned Kurdish. So much for keeping nationality out of things.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:11 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
I had a friend the is manic-depressive..........he was a lot like your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships