U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:55 AM

225 posts, read 432,989 times

Advertisements

I'm a supervisor for the Health Department in our city. I have been in this position for 4 years and I supervise a total 13 people. I have never fired anyone, but have had two people who HR called voluntary termination because one never came back for sickness and the other was arrested and was out for 90 days. I'm having issues with one employee who I had to write up for behavioral issues. She is still a probationary employee (less than 1 year), so she can be terminated at any time. The write up was because she yelled at me in my office, making patients wait for an excessive amount of time without calling for additional help, and using all of her sick & annual leave and going into negative leave. HR approved my write up and asked about termination, but I told them I would let her stay with improvement and the next instance she would be gone. Well last week a patient had a bad experience with her and wrote a long email to me and the physician about how he treated her. She also got an attitude with me when I told her I may not be able to approve her time off. I sent the letter from the patient to HR and also told them about her behavior towards me. I recommended termination. I left for vacation the next day and my boss met with this employee to talk to her about everything that has happened. When I come back my boss tells me that she thinks this is just a personality conflict between me and her and does not think it's an issue! That there are 1 or 2 other people who are making worse mistakes that should be gone instead of her. So at this point I'm not sure how to handle this? I'm the one that has to supervise her and deal with her behavior, not my boss. She has already expressed that she wants to be a stay at home mother, so I believe her focus is not here but at home with her kids.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 11:25 AM

12,582 posts, read 14,560,666 times
If you could use paragraphs it may be easier to write people up.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:39 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,292,769 times
There are those that like to try to get themselves fired in order to get unemployment. Could this employee be one of them?

Old 07-07-2016, 11:44 AM

28,900 posts, read 48,711,484 times
Your original thread was move to the Work forum.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:46 AM

10,259 posts, read 6,606,370 times
I think this is more a Work and Employment issue but...

Were you unemotional and factual in your latest write-up of this employee? I ask because you said she copped an attitude. Did you feel disrespected? And might that have influenced the tone of the write-up?

I would leave any speculation about the employee's future plans out of discussions.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:36 PM

24,843 posts, read 31,780,840 times
You write up the next incident and send it to HR, or whatever the process is.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:26 PM

36,765 posts, read 11,948,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
I'm a supervisor for the Health Department in our city. I have been in this position for 4 years and I supervise a total 13 people. I have never fired anyone, but have had two people who HR called voluntary termination because one never came back for sickness and the other was arrested and was out for 90 days. I'm having issues with one employee who I had to write up for behavioral issues. She is still a probationary employee (less than 1 year), so she can be terminated at any time. The write up was because she yelled at me in my office, making patients wait for an excessive amount of time without calling for additional help, and using all of her sick & annual leave and going into negative leave. HR approved my write up and asked about termination, but I told them I would let her stay with improvement and the next instance she would be gone. Well last week a patient had a bad experience with her and wrote a long email to me and the physician about how he treated her. She also got an attitude with me when I told her I may not be able to approve her time off. I sent the letter from the patient to HR and also told them about her behavior towards me. I recommended termination. I left for vacation the next day and my boss met with this employee to talk to her about everything that has happened. When I come back my boss tells me that she thinks this is just a personality conflict between me and her and does not think it's an issue! That there are 1 or 2 other people who are making worse mistakes that should be gone instead of her. So at this point I'm not sure how to handle this? I'm the one that has to supervise her and deal with her behavior, not my boss. She has already expressed that she wants to be a stay at home mother, so I believe her focus is not here but at home with her kids.

She should be terminated for excessive use of sick leave alone. We always extrapolated a probationer's use of sick leave (if s/he's used 6 days in ____months....). In addition, it appears you've addressed the problem(s) with her; it's to no employer's advantage to waste time and resources training staff, only to terminate them without cause.

All I can say is that you'd better document everything, including your recommendation as her immediate supervisor that she be terminated. I'm assuming hers isn't a seasonal position and that she's a civil service employee. You'll never get rid of her once she reaches permanent status. You can make book on it.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:56 PM

7,697 posts, read 14,035,252 times
I bet while you were gone, the employee was on her best behavior.

Just keep documenting and save everything. If you have to meet with your boss about this employee and s/he still doesn't think that this particular employee is a problem, would it be possible that you recommend that this employee transfer to another department or supervisor?

Old 07-07-2016, 06:47 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,712,400 times
Not surprising at all. I remember a co-worker that was abusing her sick leave for years.

I wonder who this problem employee in the OP is sleeping with on the job?! There's got to be a reason she's getting away with this heinous behavior.

If this woman wants to be a stay-at-home mother, that's what she should do - and not be on a job where she's incompetent & negatively affecting other co-worker's & customers. She should leave, and make way for someone that actually WANTS TO WORK.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:05 PM

366 posts, read 335,432 times
Ok...This right here, is a pretty good example of who all the jobs are going to, when you have hardworking, mature, and responsible people...out of work.

People like this who play around, cop attitudes, get arrested, call in sick, etc, should be thankful that they're even employed.

My advice, get rid of this ticking time bomb. I'm sure you'll find a long list of unemployed people who actually take their jobs seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or