Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 11:27 PM

105 posts, read 104,280 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed this for, say the last 20 years? People no longer use "big words".

I am so sick of the following: veggies, kudos, jammies, crappy, selfies, besties, munchies, etc.

I was actually at a dinner party several years ago when an older woman jumped up from the table and cried, " Ooh, I've got to tee tee", and proceeded to run out of the room.

What happened to adult words and behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 11:31 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,318,803 times
Makes me sick to my tummie.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:26 AM

21,649 posts, read 8,805,307 times
It grinds my gears to hear grown adults using words like "yum" or "yummy." (Yes, I know - get a life! )

Old 07-07-2016, 01:46 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,580,627 times
Guilty as charged.
But for three years I lived in another country (as an adult) where it is extremely common to shorten everything.
Veggies, sammies, munchies, sunnies, brekkie, tum, wee, footy, and nobody's name is more than a syllable.

Do you think that maybe it's a carry-over from the Australia-craze that the US went through back in the '80s and '90s?

Old 07-07-2016, 06:17 AM

12,585 posts, read 17,012,435 times
Dinner with stay-home-moms will do that to you every time!

Old 07-07-2016, 06:55 AM

1,347 posts, read 952,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amman View Post
Has anyone noticed this for, say the last 20 years? People no longer use "big words".

I am so sick of the following: veggies, kudos, jammies, crappy, selfies, besties, munchies, etc.

I was actually at a dinner party several years ago when an older woman jumped up from the table and cried, " Ooh, I've got to tee tee", and proceeded to run out of the room.

This issue wasn't really on my radar.... but what are the appropriate big words for "kudos", "crappy" (which I use in place of what I really want to say, which is "sh*tty"), and "selfie" (which seems to be a term with a very specific meaning)?

If anything, I'd attribute it to the increasingly child-centric and casual culture that has emerged.

FWIW, I'm way more annoyed by corporate buzzwords. "Spend" is not a noun, people!!

Old 07-07-2016, 07:08 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,820,363 times
Info, convo, lates, presh, obvi/obvs ... there are few more I say, mostly to annoy my oldest child. I say ridiculously silly things to my cats, but so far they're not complaining. I'm a business writer and can get out my big words if I want to.

Quote:
FWIW, I'm way more annoyed by corporate buzzwords. "Spend" is not a noun, people!!

Old 07-07-2016, 07:11 AM

88,918 posts, read 85,450,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amman View Post

This was discussed on the Writing forum, too. I have a friend who says she has to go potty. 75 years old. She told me her son stopped by her house the other day because he had to go potty, too. He's 51. I am going to say something the next time she says that. Or give her a good sharp slap upside the head.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:42 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,219,193 times
tl;dr version: people are getting dumber

less intelligent people are reproducing at a higher rate than intelligent people. expect this trend to continue.

in the next 50 years, the english language will devolve into a series of guttural sounds and acronyms. it's already happening with YOLO, SWAG, FML, WTF, OMG etc...people say this stuff as normal conversation now.

i remember a time not too long ago when you were considered uneducated or ignorant for using "ain't". it all seems so quaint now.

and then you have reality television, fast food, and the decline of the education system making everyone dumber and deciding that donald trump or hilary clinton would make a good president.

and then working adults are too busy with their 4 jobs to raise their kids correctly(and you can't spank them anymore without a busybody neighbor calling CPS). consequently, their offspring are turning into ill-mannered heathens with all these "psychological disorders" that these medical professionals are making up since they are in cahoots with the pharmaceutical companies. 15 years ago, you were just considered a dick or a lousy person. but now, the medical system has an excuse for you as long as you buy their pills and pay their salaries. yay, these drugs are yummy! time to watch keeping up with the kardashians!

brawndo, it's got what plants crave

Last edited by StAcKhOuSe; 07-07-2016 at 08:01 AM..

Old 07-07-2016, 07:59 AM

88,918 posts, read 85,450,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
This issue wasn't really on my radar.... but what are the appropriate big words for "kudos", "crappy" (which I use in place of what I really want to say, which is "sh*tty"), and "selfie" (which seems to be a term with a very specific meaning)?

If anything, I'd attribute it to the increasingly child-centric and casual culture that has emerged.

How about "asks" for "requests"? "Ask" is not a noun, either.

I say "crappy" for the same reason you do. I don't think that one is a kid word. "Kudos" is certainly not a kid word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships