Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 03:52 PM

263 posts, read 235,222 times

Advertisements

Please tell me your stories.

After I moved to bay area I first lived in East San Jose because my first job did not pay much and wanted some freedom so I rented a little studio in East San Jose. After 1 year of living in uncomfortable neighborhood I ended up moving to Sunnyvale to live with 1 open gay man. He got his boyfriend and it got crowded. Later I ended up moving to Mountain View with a single girl who before moving promised she would not move in anybody only later after she met her new boyfriend to make him a part time resident

In both cases, those significant others treat their girlfriend/boyfriend's place as if it was theirs and they cook, they sleep together and have a lot of sex, etc. Very awkward situation. If you try to re-negotiate the rent, they will get up in arms and say a lot of BS.

I think they think they can dominate and dominate because what are you gonna do about them? Kick them out of lease on which they are? What is your power? I think the only best "cure" would be to bring your own boyfriend/girlfriend and see how their medicine taste in their mouths but if you are single, new to the area and have no friends, no girlfriend/boyfriend its impossible to pull it off. I also have little language barrier since I am ESL, I speak it well and for the most part I understand people very well and hold jobs that require clear communication without a problem. But I think the natives will never treat me like the natives from my country of origin would due to my accent and slow speech. I think that also little plays role how people perceive me and respect. I feel if this was somebody "equal" to their status, they would feel that they have to play nicer. I don't know. Having no strong close network of friends who could stand behind you plays that role too, but I think that so far I was unlucky in finding good roommates, matching with ego selfish types. Next time I plan to live on my own and pay up. But I wanted to share my story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 04:26 PM

52,408 posts, read 52,930,537 times
Can't you find a cheap studio somewhere? Is that out of your price range? I'm too old for roommate nonsense. I did it back when I was in my low 20's and it was with just one other dude. I hear stories of 3 and sometimes 4 roommates. I couldn't imagine living like that. I'm a quiet introverted guy and I don't like lots of people laying around the house. I couldn't imagine coming home from work and seeing multiple people sitting in the living room watching TV or whatever it is. I'd probably spend most of my time in my bedroom if that were the case.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Can't you find a cheap studio somewhere? Is that out of your price range? I'm too old for roommate nonsense. I did it back when I was in my low 20's and it was with just one other dude. I hear stories of 3 and sometimes 4 roommates. I couldn't imagine living like that. I'm a quiet introverted guy and I don't like lots of people laying around the house. I couldn't imagine coming home from work and seeing multiple people sitting in the living room watching TV or whatever it is. I'd probably spend most of my time in my bedroom if that were the case.
When I was moving I could not afford studio near my job, they were much pricier than 2bedroom split in half. For mountain view a crummy 2/2 is $2950-3200 a month for rent. A Studio especially in Mountain view cost usually above $2200. Its not uncommon to cost much more.

When I lived in Sunnyvale, I lived in 2/1 apartment shared bathroom and rent was "cheap" $2250 and then imposed raised rate on renewal at $2700.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwman2830 View Post
When I was moving I could not afford studio near my job, they were much pricier than 2bedroom split in half. For mountain view a crummy 2/2 is $2950-3200 a month for rent. A Studio especially in Mountain view cost usually above $2200. Its not uncommon to cost much more.

When I lived in Sunnyvale, I lived in 2/1 apartment shared bathroom and rent was "cheap" $2250 and then imposed raised rate on renewal at $2700.
Good lord. I haven't checked rent prices in a while, my god that's ridiculous. You don't wanna know what we pay for our mortgage on the condo we bought 17 yrs ago.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:18 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,365,895 times
I had it happen to me several times. I eventually got my own place. But if I were ever forced to live with roommates again, there would be a contract that would state "no overnight visitors." I don't want their lovers ... or their mothers or their unemployed brothers and without a contract you're more than likely to get something like that. It always starts out as a "just once in awhile" thing and next thing you know you have a new roommate and money becomes an issue.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Good lord. I haven't checked rent prices in a while, my god that's ridiculous. You don't wanna know what we pay for our mortgage on the condo we bought 17 yrs ago.
One of the reasons I am considering living in other states once I am done getting myself to high level in career. Then take job somewhere with minimal adjustment cut in salary. Phoenix, Seattle, Texas or even Chicago comes to my mind. I used to live in Chicago and hears the tech industry has grown. Rent have went up there also, but are not yet at outragous level and keep building new apartments, condos, people keep moving to suhurban homes which helps with rent control.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
One of the reasons I am considering living in other states once I am done getting myself to high level in career. Then take job somewhere with minimal adjustment cut in salary. Phoenix, Seattle, Texas or even Chicago comes to my mind. I used to live in Chicago and hears the tech industry has grown. Rent have went up there also, but are not yet at outragous level and keep building new apartments, condos, people keep moving to suhurban homes which helps with rent control.

Good plan, get a little further along in the job experience and GTFO of Ca. You might take a 10 percent pay cut depending where you go, but eve if you do the COL in other parts of the country is so much cheaper. I'd be out of here myself if I could.

Ca is nice but overrated as hell at times. I could just as easily live somewhere else, have more and for much less money.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Good plan, get a little further along in the job experience and GTFO of Ca. You might take a 10 percent pay cut depending where you go, but eve if you do the COL in other parts of the country is so much cheaper. I'd be out of here myself if I could.

Ca is nice but overrated as hell at times. I could just as easily live somewhere else, have more and for much less money.
I have met people from NYC metro where it is as expensive and if they had a choice they said they would move back there. They liked living there better.

Funny thing, last time I looked at prices even SoCal seems more reasonable especially in regards to rents than Bay Area.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I have met people from NYC metro where it is as expensive and if they had a choice they said they would move back there. They liked living there better.

Funny thing, last time I looked at prices even SoCal seems more reasonable especially in regards to rents than Bay Area.

So Cal is definitely a bit cheaper than up north. Silicon Beach is starting happened here in the western part of LA and more and more high tech companies are starting to move in. I think Google is building something in the area too, I think it was Google, but yeah LA is cheaper than the Bay. The weather is better too and it's not as far far left nutty as the Bay area is.

Last edited by Chowhound; 08-21-2016 at 07:20 PM..

Old 08-22-2016, 06:04 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,987,354 times
How many are on the lease? 2? Check the fine print in the lease to be sure it is actually ok to have 3 living there. If not, perhaps a quiet word to the landlord is in order.

I feel for you but I do hope you don't really internalize that stuff about them treating you this way or that way because you are not locally born, if you will. It has nothing to do with your speech or anything about YOU really at all. They are simply doing it, as they would to practically anyone else I would bet, because they are immature, rude and selfish people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships