Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 06:38 AM

370 posts, read 656,090 times

Advertisements

So I work with a woman. She is around 36 or 37. She is not that attractive, pale, and very skinny. I know I am not gorgeous myself, but I always felt OK about my appearance. She once complained how being single is depressing her and has been single for many years. She said she would love to be beautiful like Linda Evangelista. The she said "what about us? How do we get men if we are not beautiful?" We are both single.
I immediately felt like someone punched me in the stomach. I mean I felt that was flat out rude.
Was she being rude or am I too sensitive? I don't know but I don't think I would say that to someone, ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 07:01 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,026,225 times
Why you want to take rubbish in to your pocket. ? She did not tell it to you she spell out how she feel about something. If you take like that then how you label her on this post also rude dont you think?

Old 09-04-2016, 07:20 AM

370 posts, read 656,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
Why you want to take rubbish in to your pocket. ? She did not tell it to you she spell out how she feel about something. If you take like that then how you label her on this post also rude dont you think?
Yeah maybe you are right. I think I'm too sensitive...I read too much into it!

Old 09-04-2016, 07:29 AM

36,496 posts, read 16,088,372 times
I would have laughed and said, Ya well, Men want a lot more than beauty

Old 09-04-2016, 07:35 AM

1,504 posts, read 855,303 times
No just dumb...how about being beautiful on the inside and letting that beauty radiate outward? This attitude that both woman have is light weight and superficial. ALL woman are beautiful...if you think you are not you will NOT be....

Old 09-04-2016, 01:40 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,930,313 times
Been there. I don't get why people do that. Maybe just to bring people down when they feel down. I have been at the receiving side of those comments and they do sting. Just to try to shake them off. To me they feel like a put down my mom would do, so it stings more.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:43 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,287,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
So I work with a woman. She is around 36 or 37. She is not that attractive, pale, and very skinny. I know I am not gorgeous myself, but I always felt OK about my appearance. She once complained how being single is depressing her and has been single for many years. She said she would love to be beautiful like Linda Evangelista. The she said "what about us? How do we get men if we are not beautiful?" We are both single.
I immediately felt like someone punched me in the stomach. I mean I felt that was flat out rude.
Was she being rude or am I too sensitive? I don't know but I don't think I would say that to someone, ever!
The words 'speak for yourself' would work wonders in this situation.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:44 PM

8,192 posts, read 8,421,512 times
Misery loves company. She just wanted a soul sister, didn't mean to insult you.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,710,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The words 'speak for yourself' would work wonders in this situation.
:

You beat me to it.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:30 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,987,354 times
I would have ignored that part of her sentence and just answered the crux of the question. I don't think she was attacking you - she just mis-phrased what she really wanted to know about - how to go about attracting (the right type of) men.

Even 'classically attractive' women - you know the kind you see on the pages of magazines, etc. (who may or not be 'beautiful' to all of us - beauty IS in the eye of the beholder/owner) often have just as much trouble getting and keeping men as the rest of us who don't grace such places with our pictures daily. If she doesn't think so or know that, she needs to be educated anyway and because you reacted to the extraneous part of the sentence, I wonder if you helped her out at all? Hate to say it but yes, I think you overreacted.

Lots of what some would call not very attractive women are very successful with men - mostly because they don't much worry about whether they are 'beautiful' or not - they focus more on being interesting (and interested in), being upbeat (but not outrageously so), and mainly just being themselves. If you look like a fun/happy (with yourself no matter what that 'self' looks like), capable, self-confident, fascinating person to be around, it won't matter if you resemble a mouse, you will attract a crowd. If you look desperate, it won't matter how pretty you are ... people will shy away. Skinny, pale, chubby, orange, blue, purple .. none of those things really matter that much to the right kind of person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships