Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 12:49 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,404,165 times

Advertisements

My mom and I are not very similar. She's super-girly, loves jewelry and being pampered. I'm more boots, jeans, books and dogs. We basically have no values in common. We were at odds through most of my childhood and she really did a number on me. I've had relatives and friends corroborate how nasty and mean she can be, but she basically alternated between suffocating affection and putdowns and criticisms (including threats to put me into foster care). She wanted me to be like her, while excelling academically in ways she never bothered. Her behavior actually upset my friends, but it also became a running joke with them because they thought she was so over the top.

Any attempt to confront her about this treatment as an adult or to even ask her to acknowledge or discuss it, results in temper tantrums, denials of reality, horrible insults and accusations that I'm ungrateful or "only remember the bad things" and statements that she "did the best she could." Not surprisingly, I keep her at a distance via very firm boundaries, which has worked well.

She occasionally tries to start political conversations with me, and then gets angry when I have an opposing viewpoint and I won't come around to her way of thinking. I love her because she made sure I had every advantage, even if my self-esteem was regularly battered into nothingness and even though she's proven herself unreliable in times of crisis. But she was instrumental in me being able to grow into the person I am today, and I'm very happy with my life.

Well, recently she insisted that I include her as a friend on facebook because all her other friends are friends with their children on facebook. She demanded it as her birthday present. So I caved and friended her, against my better judgement - and also promptly unfollowed her so i wouldn't be provoked into saying anything unpleasant.

Recently, she felt the need to spout a bunch of political tripe that is patently false on one of my posts about Hillary being more qualified than Trump. I countered her arguments pretty effectively and told her she needed to read multiple sources, and she backpedaled like crazy, telling me that we have different viewpoints and that we should just agree to disagree. She couldn't have a temper tantrum and scream at me or say nasty things in public, so her only choice was retreat. I put a period on it by reminding her that I don't post "hysterical tripe" on her facebook page.

She loves to brag about how smart I am and how smart my friends are (to the point that some people are offended and I'm embarrassed), and now those friends are very politely and very respectfully taking her statements apart on facebook.

Can I just say that it warmed the cockles of my heart? Facebook does have therapeutic value. If it makes me a bad person to feel this way, I think I can live with that.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:54 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,661,440 times
Seems pretty childish to me.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Seems pretty childish to me.
Again, I can live with that. I'm sure you're very far above such feelings. LOL

Old 09-09-2016, 01:02 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,992,425 times
You know what would make you feel even better? Stop letting your mother live in your head.
Nothing frustrates a bully more than being ignored. If you don't react... They don't have ammunition to use against you. Just sayin.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:07 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,661,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Again, I can live with that. I'm sure you're very far above such feelings. LOL
What purpose did it serve? I have no idea how you were raised or how awful your mother was but sooner or later you're going to have to get past it. Belittling her on Facebook seems a lame attempt to get even.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:12 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,323,625 times
So you stomped your feet (with words) and it made you feel all better.
Congratulations.
At times the high road to silence is the golden road to travel.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
You know what would make you feel even better? Stop letting your mother live in your head.
Nothing frustrates a bully more than being ignored. If you don't react... They don't have ammunition to use against you. Just sayin.

Well, that's why I didn't want her to be my friend on facebook. I've set boundaries and maintained them religiously over the years, keeping her at an amused distance, but she was relentless. We've been mostly copacetic for years, but she keeps pushing for more. It's nice to have my feelings about her validated publicly - at her instigation - after years of being gaslighted by her. After her insisting for years that I didn't know what I was talking about or that I was making things up, she's being called out by other people.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:15 PM

44,382 posts, read 20,102,658 times
Facebook-related threads are not permitted. Please see rules in Sticky thread.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships