Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 06:30 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times

Advertisements

At least one study has shown that the more expensive the wedding and engagement ring, the less likely a marriage will last:

Want a happy marriage? Have a big, cheap wedding - CNN.com

But they did find that the more people who attended a wedding, the more likely the marriage would last (probably indicates social support, which I can understand can be helpful---but just attending a wedding as a party event doesn't guarantee social support for a couple when times get tough).

You can not attend a wedding, but still be there after for friendship and support. It's kind of like when someone dies---there's lots of people at the funeral and for a short time after...but grieving people complain that no one is there for them three months later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 06:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
I think you harbor resentment. Considering what you've written in your original post, that this friendship has petered out, and that you quit inviting her to do things to see if she would invite you. You proved to yourself this friendship was one sided for whatever reason. And you've moved on.

If this "save the date" is your first knowledge of her pending wedding, then indeed your friendship has completely gone south.

I would rsvp, and send a gift and call it a day.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:07 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 514gal View Post
I recently got a Save the Date for a friend's wedding next year but I really don't feel like going. Up until about 5 years ago or so we were glued at the hip but we have slowly been drifting apart for a number of years as it feels like we have less and less in common. In the past year you can count the number of times I have seen or heard from her on one hand. Basically I realized that it was always me initiating contact and plans to hang out so I stopped to see if she would take the lead but she never did. Am I wrong for not feeling more excited about this wedding? Should I go or can I politely decline?
You have a lot of sourpuss feelings about your relationship with this woman. This invite seems to be nothing more than something like a splinter that you are playing with.. What's "wrong" is why are you twisting this one way and another. Yank it out and stop fiddling about it.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:10 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,743,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
It is probably a situation of a catch 22 for the bride. If she didn't invite you, she may be concerned you would be offended. That being said, some people really do get upset when people do not show for their wedding, so if you don't go then this may be the end of the friendship for both of you.

I personally don't like weddings. I am in a happy marriage and don't dislike anyone entering marriage. I simply do not like the events. I find them to be expensive to attend, don't care for large crowds and it just makes me feel anxious as you end up at a table with people you don't know. Honestly, I'd rather send a stellar gift. The last wedding I went to was for my cousin. The date she chose was the same date as when I got married.

During the evening she surprised us by telling the DJ to call us out from the crowd and have us start a small dance to announce our wedding anniversary. It was a very sweet gesture on her part but for someone like me, who can't dance very well AND hates being the center of attention, it was a little bit of a nightmare.
OMG....see...she really should have told you she wanted to do this for you to make sure you were ok with it first.

This is the type of thing that would have been horrifying for me lol

Old 09-09-2016, 08:19 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
You have a lot of sourpuss feelings about your relationship with this woman. This invite seems to be nothing more than something like a splinter that you are playing with.. What's "wrong" is why are you twisting this one way and another. Yank it out and stop fiddling about it.

I think this is a very insightful comment.

There is no reason to over analyze a wedding invitation. You either go or you don't go. No need to give any reasons or excuses or analyze it to death. It's not worth that much investment of one's mental energies.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:15 AM

264 posts, read 250,447 times
Quote:
I have to admit that that is another reason I'm apprehensive about this wedding. Apart from the fact that our friendship isn't what it used to be I have my doubts about the marriage and whether they are actually a happy couple. Her fiance has already cheated on her and in general is a jerk. I kind of suspect she is marrying him because she is so desperate to fulfill her dream of a family and a house in the burbs that she would be willing to settle for someone who treats her poorly.
Sounds like that's as good a reason not to go as any.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:44 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
I have to admit that that is another reason I'm apprehensive about this wedding. Apart from the fact that our friendship isn't what it used to be I have my doubts about the marriage and whether they are actually a happy couple. Her fiance has already cheated on her and in general is a jerk. I kind of suspect she is marrying him because she is so desperate to fulfill her dream of a family and a house in the burbs that she would be willing to settle for someone who treats her poorly.
Then don't go.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:02 AM

226 posts, read 198,930 times
If I got a Save the Date from a "friend" who I didn't even know was seeing anyone, much less engaged, then I am a mere acquaintance at this point. Some people just want a lot of attendees/presents.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marachino View Post
If I got a Save the Date from a "friend" who I didn't even know was seeing anyone, much less engaged, then I am a mere acquaintance at this point. Some people just want a lot of attendees/presents.
Exactly. This "friendship" has turned into a casual acquaintance at best.

You're right about a lot of attendees. I just went through this with an "old friend" and I posted this earlier. Got invited to wedding in MA and I live in CA. Haven't seen these people in 8 years, talked once on the phone in the last year.

It wasn't about them wanting me there(I never met the groom and the bride is the daughter of an college friend and we just chat through email). The mother(friend) is very self centered and she wanted an audience for her Mother of the Bride role.....LOL.

I sent a gift, never got a thank you in an email from the mother/friend for doing so. She was annoyed I wasn't coming, also now getting the cold shoulder as in no emails....Oh well, I saved myself about $2K in travel expenses and now clearly made the right decision not to go.

We have a very "Look at me" society today. So in these situations it's about a gift and having an audience, not about them really wanting you there.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:23 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Unfortunately this is something that she has chosen for herself and as friends or family no one has to like it but they do have to accept it as her choice.
Perhaps you can mark the date and as the time gets closer make a decision after you get the actual invitation as to your attending or not.
Friendships change over the years which is a natural progression of separate lives moving forward, there is no right or wrong in the situation on either side of the friendship.
You might also consider a nice card and best wishes for her future if you decide not to attend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships