Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 04:25 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times

Advertisements

My sister left a friend's house late into the night drunk as a skunk arriving at my sister-in-law's house upset over her marriage and babbling nonsense. Her husband was at home. She had been "partying" without him and crashed at my sister-in-law until early morning and left.

I know my sister and her husband had problems in the past. Her husband is a functioning alcoholic, recreational pot smoker. I have seen her husband get verbally abusive towards her in the past when they were younger. Since my sister and I aren't that close and don't really ever get together much, it makes it difficult for us to communicate and have a face-to-face discussion.

When my sister sobered up, she had no recollection of what happened the night before. I explained what happened and the things she mentioned about her marriage. She brushed it off like everything was fine between her and her husband. And I was like okay, well, if there is a serious issue consider seeking marital counseling instead of getting drunk and then driving around.

She typically doesn't drink very often but when she does, on occasion, it gets out of control
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 04:29 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
you aren't close and don't know - not sure why the post?

Old 08-31-2016, 04:41 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Not a thing you can do about this. It's up to your sister in law to not let your sister in if she shows up drunk. She can call the police and have her taken home or she can let her in. Her choice- yours too if she shows up at your house.

Your sister has already made it clear that she not going for counseling so all you can do is keep your fingers crossed that she doesn't harm herself or anyone else while she drives drunk. You can't fix your sister.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:44 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Where do you come in with all this? Were you also at your SIL's house?

Old 08-31-2016, 04:54 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
you aren't close and don't know - not sure why the post?
We talk here and there usually through text. an occasional phone call or FB. We see each other maybe once a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Not a thing you can do about this. It's up to your sister in law to not let your sister in if she shows up drunk. She can call the police and have her taken home or she can let her in. Her choice- yours too if she shows up at your house.

Your sister has already made it clear that she not going for counseling so all you can do is keep your fingers crossed that she doesn't harm herself or anyone else while she drives drunk. You can't fix your sister.
Good point. It's up to her to fix the problems with her husband. I did tell her getting drunk over whatever problems they're going through like it will go away on its own isn't gonna help. She's the type of person to avoid conflict rather than deal with problem and seek a solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Where do you come in with all this? Were you also at your SIL's house?
My sister-in-law told me what had happened. I wasn't there. She wasn't too happy with her coming over in the wee hours of the morning crying drunk.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:56 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Let the person/people who ACTUALLY dealt with and heard her speak to her

Old 08-31-2016, 06:15 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
This really isn't any of your business

Old 08-31-2016, 06:41 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
She may not even KNOW whats wrong. Sometimes just being drunk brings up strange unprovoked emotions in people.

I've seen a group af 4 drunk guys go from "It's all good" to brawling in the street (rolling around, not even landing punches) to "I love you; man!" & crying all in one night.

Who knows but she probably got mad at her husband, took off for a girls night & blew everything out of proportion.

Then, she sobers up & is like "What? What do you mean somethings wrong with me?"

Old 08-31-2016, 07:03 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,885 times
Did you happen to mention to her how incredibly stupid , irresponsible and selfish her actions were? Driving drunk is horrendous and yet to you it seems secondary to her marital issues Who cares about that when she put lives in danger?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:08 PM

539 posts, read 567,053 times
^
Not saying it's okay, but people drive intoxicated ALL THE TIME. Seriously.
OP, it's not your business, especially since it sounds like she doesn't want you in it, but you're trying to be a good sister and care for her, so I applaud that. Unfortunately, if she's been with the same jerk off for how ever long, I doubt it will change, and I doubt her view of her own life will change. But if it DOES, let her know you're there for her when that time comes. BUT AT THE SAME TIME, I wouldn't enable her by telling her it's okay and comforting her through the years, because if she continues to stay with him and be miserable, then it's not a big enough problem for everyone else to care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships