Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 06:06 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,309 times

Advertisements

I'm going to make this pretty quick. Some neighbors agreed to host the annual neighborhood Christmas party. The deal is generally that the host provides hors d'oeuvres, beer/wine, and the house for the party. It generally costs about $20 per person. This is not the part in question.

The evite specifies all of the above, but also states, "BYOB if you'd like drinks other than the above, but please no red wine." Uh, what? I suppose they're concerned about people spilling and staining the carpet? I honestly thought it was a joke when my husband read it to me.

My DH, being a bit of a pot-stirrer, texted the husband (who is a golf buddy of his) and asked if rose was OK instead, and the husband said no.

Now, I realize that the host can do/say whatever he/she wishes, but this just seems weird to me! I mean, what kind of carpet do you have that couldn't be cleaned; is it woven with gold? And just how drunk do you think the neighbors will get between 6 and 8 PM on a Sunday that they would spill all over the place? I mean, really?

Maybe some of you think this is totally fine, but I find it bizarre. If the wife is that worried about her home, why agree to host the party?

Old 12-02-2018, 06:19 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Personally, the "No red wine" request seems pretty odd to me.

However, I once had a friend/acquaintance whose parent's living room had white (silk?) chairs, white (silk?) couches and white carpeting. They only allowed their teenage daughter & her friends to have water & no food in that room. I have no idea if the parents & their friends could eat and drink in that room. But, I doubt if they would offer to host a neighborhood party.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:23 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
They may have older white carpets that are a nightmare to clean.

I wouldn't have agreed to host any parties if that were the case. I have hardwood floors and area rugs, pretty much spill-proof.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:24 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,395,814 times
It costs a few hundred dollars to have a large wool area rug cleaned. People don't have to be drunk to spill drinks; accidents happen.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:28 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Their house, totally within their rights. End of discussion.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:48 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,878 times
They offered to host the party, you didn't. You don't get to dictate the rules that they wish to impose in order to hold the party. Do I think it's a little odd? Yes. But hey, I don't care for red wine, anyway, so it wouldn't bother me. :-)

Old 12-02-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
They may have older white carpets that are a nightmare to clean.

I wouldn't have agreed to host any parties if that were the case. I have hardwood floors and area rugs, pretty much spill-proof.
The house is approximately two years old. No older than three. Brand new construction when they moved in.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Their house, totally within their rights. End of discussion.
Understood. I get that, as I said in the OP. But if you are that persnickety, why host the party? And many things could be spilled on a rug; why ban just red wine? WEIRD. Sorry, it's weird.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:13 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Understood. I get that, as I said in the OP. But if you are that persnickety, why host the party? And many things could be spilled on a rug; why ban just red wine? WEIRD. Sorry, it's weird.
Some people think red wine spills are too hard to clean. I dunno. I think Koolaid is worse.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:17 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I'm going to make this pretty quick. Some neighbors agreed to host the annual neighborhood Christmas party. The deal is generally that the host provides hors d'oeuvres, beer/wine, and the house for the party. It generally costs about $20 per person. This is not the part in question.

The evite specifies all of the above, but also states, "BYOB if you'd like drinks other than the above, but please no red wine." Uh, what? I suppose they're concerned about people spilling and staining the carpet? I honestly thought it was a joke when my husband read it to me.

My DH, being a bit of a pot-stirrer, texted the husband (who is a golf buddy of his) and asked if rose was OK instead, and the husband said no.

Now, I realize that the host can do/say whatever he/she wishes, but this just seems weird to me! I mean, what kind of carpet do you have that couldn't be cleaned; is it woven with gold? And just how drunk do you think the neighbors will get between 6 and 8 PM on a Sunday that they would spill all over the place? I mean, really?

Maybe some of you think this is totally fine, but I find it bizarre. If the wife is that worried about her home, why agree to host the party?
1. I have a carpet that costs $500 to clean. It has to be picked up, taken to a facility, and then delivered back. Bc I am a tipper, then it costs the tip. I have totally shopped around. For this size and type of carpet, this is the going price.

2. You don't have to be drunk to spill. In fact, I have never been drunk when I have spilled something (I am rarely if ever drunk, but I admit to spilling things from time to time).

3. Host can say whatever they want. I agree that it seems super weird to ban red wine, but it's their house and their party. I'd ban smoking from mine. *shrug*

4. If the party is as short as you say, can't people get through 2 hours without boozing it up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships