Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 04:47 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,334 times

Advertisements

This stems from a mild discussion in a neighbourhood bar this week.
Okay, so you marry a woman who has a married brother.
The brother and his wife have three children, two girls and a boy, these kids have forever been your new wife's nephew and nieces.
Now, as they call you uncle, are they really YOUR nephew and nieces too, or is there such a thing as niece/nephew in-law?
It's a bit like the relationship between you, (as a man), and your wife's brother's wife, your wife's brother is your brother-in-law, but technically his wife is no relation to you at all, even though you think of her, and possibly refer to her, as your sister-in-law.
She is probably, in the final analysis, simply your brother-in-law's wife.
The guy in question in the bar, WANTED to call his wife's nieces his nieces too, and although he knew that no one would question that, he was just airing the thought that was he REALLY their uncle?
I chipped in my five cents by saying that he was overthinking it, just say, 'my nieces', nobody will argue it.
I guess that I could google this, but some input may be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 06:42 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
This is Wiki's definition. Your bar friend is correct.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephew_and_niece

Old 09-23-2016, 07:06 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
they are your nieces and nephews, even if not related by blood.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:46 AM

973 posts, read 914,379 times
Yeah, they're still your nieces/nephews — just not through blood.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:05 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
You need a common progenitor to be related. I have this argument all the time with people who use the "in my family we call them ..." argument.

Your nieces and nephews are YOUR siblings children.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:30 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
This is Wiki's definition. Your bar friend is correct.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephew_and_niece
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
they are your nieces and nephews, even if not related by blood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Yeah, they're still your nieces/nephews — just not through blood.
I agree with these posters.

Perhaps it goes back to your wedding vows with your spouse "and two shall become one" or "joined together" or whatever, your spouse's nieces and nephews are your nieces and nephews, too.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:31 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You need a common progenitor to be related. I have this argument all the time with people who use the "in my family we call them ..." argument.

Your nieces and nephews are YOUR siblings children.
So, thinkalot, what are your spouse's siblings children to you? Nothing?

Old 09-23-2016, 08:47 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,334 times
Thanks for all your replies, "Whacky" Pete will be overjoyed to find that he is a gen-you-wine Uncle when I see him over a shot of Stoly tonight.
Now, how about my assertion that your brother-in-law's wife, (not your sister), is just that, your brother-in-law's wife, NOT your sister-in-law.
To be up front, I googled this, and some sites said she is NOT your sister-in-law, but more said that you could say that she is.
As I personally think that my brother-in-law's wife, (my wife's sister-in-law), is an absolute 2.50 diamond carat lady, I am proud to call her, and think of her, as my sister-in-law.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:59 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Personally I feel it should be the way the individual wants to think of it.

If you feel affection towards that person, by all means call her your sis-in-law. If you don't give a rats you know what, then it is 'my wife's sis-in-law'.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:30 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,097,760 times
On the topic of nieces and nephews...my husband's sister's (my SIL) kids are my nephews. I wouldn't consider them anything other than that.
My SIL's husband is my husband's brother in-law to me. I don't consider him my brother-in-law. I suppose if I liked him better I could consider him something. To me, he's just SIL's husband. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships