Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 04:18 AM

171 posts, read 157,343 times

Advertisements

A guy at my university program (Engineering Physics, by the way) used to always be highly unsocial and quiet, and everything indicated that he was indeed that way - he would never be present at any school parties or activities, he hardly ever said a word during classes, and he barely even said hi when he saw one of the other students in the school corridors, unless we said hi to him first.
He wasn't really "unfriendly" or anything, he was just really, really quiet most of the time (although for some reason he would seem very cheerful, confident and talkative while working with other students during laborations etc).
But then he was away from school for about two weeks quite recently (I guess he travelled home for a while since our schedule was pretty lax for a while then, mostly exercise lessons and that stuff), and when he came back he was suddenly a whole lot more open and social than he has ever been before;
now he suddenly readily greets classmates when he sees them, asks how they are doing, smiles a lot and seems genuinely relaxed, and even quite flirty.
Sure, this is of course a good thing, however I find it pretty strange how he made such a huge change in such a short time - usually people change gradually over the course of maybe of couple months or years, but this guy changed completely in just a couple weeks.
Do you know any possible reasons for this?
I am just a bit curious and would like to get some perspective on this, so that I can understand it a bit better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 05:03 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
One can make a change like that if one decides to do so. Maybe he decided he needed to be friendlier to others and is doing so.

For example, 90% of the time I don't talk to strangers or comment to them. Some days I decide that I will compliment a stranger to spread kindness in the world. I intentionally do so.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:33 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,361,909 times
The aliens removed the tracking device

Old 09-29-2016, 05:38 AM

11,803 posts, read 12,043,246 times
Maybe he's been given medication to treat anxiety or depression and it's stabilized or elevated his mood.

It really could be anything, but speculating doesn't get you anywhere. Unless he tells you, you'll never know.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:14 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,933,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus86 View Post
A guy at my university program (Engineering Physics, by the way) used to always be highly unsocial and quiet, and everything indicated that he was indeed that way - he would never be present at any school parties or activities, he hardly ever said a word during classes, and he barely even said hi when he saw one of the other students in the school corridors, unless we said hi to him first.
He wasn't really "unfriendly" or anything, he was just really, really quiet most of the time (although for some reason he would seem very cheerful, confident and talkative while working with other students during laborations etc).
But then he was away from school for about two weeks quite recently (I guess he travelled home for a while since our schedule was pretty lax for a while then, mostly exercise lessons and that stuff), and when he came back he was suddenly a whole lot more open and social than he has ever been before;
now he suddenly readily greets classmates when he sees them, asks how they are doing, smiles a lot and seems genuinely relaxed, and even quite flirty.
Sure, this is of course a good thing, however I find it pretty strange how he made such a huge change in such a short time - usually people change gradually over the course of maybe of couple months or years, but this guy changed completely in just a couple weeks.
I am just a bit curious and would like to get some perspective on this, so that I can understand it a bit better.
2 weeks? Meds

Old 09-29-2016, 06:27 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,684 times
My thought was meds too. Could be for any number of legitimate reasons.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:01 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,836,530 times
I thought the same thing, meds or is in love.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:11 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Maybe he's been given medication to treat anxiety or depression and it's stabilized or elevated his mood.

It really could be anything, but speculating doesn't get you anywhere. Unless he tells you, you'll never know.
While most anti-depression medications take several weeks (some about six weeks to be fully effective) he may have started on them earlier and they are now "kicking in" or it could be the placebo effect (he started taking them so he is trying harder because he thinks that they are already working). Or he could be on other immediately acting medications like anti-anxiety medications.

Or, he could be in love.

Or, he could have just decided "I'm going to friendlier" and is making a real conscious effort to do it.

Or, he could have gone home and had a heart to heart talk with a close friend or relative that gave him the determination to be more outgoing.

Or, he was the way he was before because of something personal, like a parent like a serious illness, and now the situation is better so he is back to his normal self.

It really does not matter. Just be his friend.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:46 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,039,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus86 View Post
May be he broke up

Old 09-29-2016, 07:56 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,079,488 times
He finally became a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships