Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 05:51 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,075,752 times

Advertisements

Wife and I invited two couples and their kids to the house for a Saturday cookout/hangout.

We've known them for 12+ years. As time has gone on they have been prone to flaking out and/or coming solo. Overall it's really hard to confirm plans with them. There isn't any animosity or bad feelings per se, just the expected "they flaked again" eye roll. When we do get together it's always fun.

I'm more OK with it than my wife is, I figure families are always busy and there's rarely enough time to fit everything in that you want to do.

Knowing that we were likely to get a flake, I invited (my wife agreed) a couple outside of this particular social circle (but who does know one of the other couples) who we've also known for a long time.

So lo and behold, one couple flaked. The other is teetering. The couple I know best is firmly RSVP's.

My wife want to invite new couples. I think leave it as is (we'll be a foursome plus kids) or just re-schedule.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 06:07 PM

427 posts, read 442,857 times
Heck no, do it! You may find that the RSVP friends may be keepers and could start a new circle of friends with similar values.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:51 PM

8,301 posts, read 8,711,612 times
I only associate with people that do what they say they are going to do. Emergencies are an exception.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,705,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I only associate with people that do what they say they are going to do. Emergencies are an exception.

This.

OP, it's your fault.

Who keeps inviting people who keep flaking?

Do you also keep trying to a pet a dog that has bitten you?

Old 10-05-2016, 07:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,253,749 times
Don't reschedule. Just do it with the people who can come.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
This.

OP, it's your fault.

Who keeps inviting people who keep flaking?

Do you also keep trying to a pet a dog that has bitten you?
We maybe invite 2x per year...

Old 10-05-2016, 07:38 PM

509 posts, read 557,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
My wife want to invite new couples. I think leave it as is (we'll be a foursome plus kids) or just re-schedule.

Thoughts?
So your upset with people flaking out and your possible solution is to flake out?

Either leave it as is, or take your wife's lead and invite a few more people. Sounds like you need some non-flakey friends, branching out may be good.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Don't reschedule. Just do it with the people who can come.
Wow, someone who is actually responding to the info/question in the post. Thanks KK.

We are keeping it as is. I told my wife I didn't feel the need to make new invites just to "keep the numbers." This is an extremely informal hang out with friends.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:36 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,277,092 times
Quote:
Wife and I invited two couples and their kids to the house for a Saturday cookout/hangout.

We've known them for 12+ years. As time has gone on they have been prone to flaking out and/or coming solo. Overall it's really hard to confirm plans with them. There isn't any animosity or bad feelings per se, just the expected "they flaked again" eye roll. When we do get together it's always fun.

I'm more OK with it than my wife is, I figure families are always busy and there's rarely enough time to fit everything in that you want to do.

Knowing that we were likely to get a flake, I invited (my wife agreed) a couple outside of this particular social circle (but who does know one of the other couples) who we've also known for a long time.

So lo and behold, one couple flaked. The other is teetering. The couple I know best is firmly RSVP's.

Thoughts?
Invite more friends. Keep trying new friends.

Seriously. I don't care how fun they are. This borders on abusive behavior.

It's really not that hard. If someone invites you and you accept, they are buying food, cooking it, cleaning the house, etc.

So just not showing up is basically showing contempt for the people who wanted nothing but to show hospitality. I'd recommend a better group of friends.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:12 PM

18,567 posts, read 7,424,006 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
You sound like a totally reasonable person. Hope you have fun however it turns out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships