U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 04:34 AM

3,679 posts, read 2,207,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I would rather have friends that I have nothing in common with then no friends at all. You can develop common interests. Last night I helped a friend celebrate her 50th birthday at a bowling ally. I've only bowled two other times in my life when I was around 10 or 12. It was a disaster but so much fun. I'd love to do it again despite the many gutter balls. Okay I wasn't too thrilled having my fingers in a ball that has had hundreds of fingers in it, but once you get passed the gross factor, it was really fun. It's not something I would have done on my own.

People are interesting creatures and yes you have to be skilled at weeding out the rectums. I have many interesting and diverse people in my life and it has made my life infinitely richer and more interesting. Yes CCL there will be people in your life that you just can't connect with. For me it's just been rectums and alcoholics. Heck I never played Scrabble in my entire life until just a couple of years ago when one of my besties introduced it to me. She beats the pants off of me almost every time and I'll tell her that it was fun and I'll let her beat me again soon. It's possible to find some laughs in anything if you keep an open mind, and I live for those laughs. Even after my third gutter ball in a row Just find a way to have some fun with your room mate and friends.
What a refreshing post! Rep point coming your way!

As for me I am mourning a friendship of 20 years. We had many problems that never really got resolved. A lot of that was my lack oof social skills and understanding of what being a friend means. But it was not all me! It hurts that she hasn't/ won't listen to me. That has been her way thru out, so I should understand by now.

But I am hurting with no friend to share. My heart hurts, I have words, thoughts and feelings with no place to go with them.

But I just have to go through this. I do have a new friend that I met the week Iet go of my old friend. I am happy but I haven't rushed into the new friendship because I know I have to give this time.

Animalcrazy, I like your statement, "People are interesting creatures..." I agree!! I finally understood I was hiding from making friends because I was fearful. How can a person be fearful but not know it, just believe that feeling was HER??

So, I am going to finally make friends. Just have to get out there!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 08:36 PM

6,828 posts, read 8,363,833 times
Here is a famous poem about list friendship.

https://allpoetry.com/Around-The-Corner

And a great song by John Denver.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ruiOy68Z1o

Old 10-16-2016, 05:33 PM

43,176 posts, read 53,826,016 times
I would see no point in having friends I had nothing in common with. I can be happy as can be by myself. Having, or being, a friend involves an investment in time and effort. I have pushed to the wayside, many friends who do not share my views on things, or only take, but not give back, etc. Those who remain are there on the back burner. If they need me I'm there, if I need them, they're there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships