Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 05:54 PM

15,202 posts, read 10,210,220 times

Advertisements

I would rather have no friends but I'm an introvert. It wasn't that way when I was younger but now friends are not important to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 06:16 PM

854 posts, read 517,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I would rather have no friends but I'm an introvert. It wasn't that way when I was younger but now friends are not important to me.
I'm an ambivert forced to live as an introvert. I need both alone time and socializing.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Wait until you get to your 70's and ask this question again.
I don't even want to get to 40.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:20 PM

22,341 posts, read 47,322,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
I don't even want to get to 40.
What? You would rather die!?!

Old 10-07-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
What? You would rather die!?!
No. I'll simply stop celebrating my birthday after I turn 39

Old 10-07-2016, 07:06 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,689,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Neither.
Seriously.

I LIKE having friends, and I LIKE doing things with them.

No friends would not be a choice I would make, even though I am comfortable in my own skin.
I don't need a "squad" as you put it, but it is nice to have people to share life events with.

As for your option 2 - " friends you have little or nothing in common with"... I cannot relate at all.
If we have nothing in common, I fail to see how we can be friends. They are merely acquaintances, or people I know.

How about a third choice... make new friends with whom you ARE comfortable and with whom you DO have common interests.

This is exactly what I would have said so I now can only say.......Ditto!

Old 10-07-2016, 07:09 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,043,377 times
Quote:
What makes you say that? What are you interested in?
I really, really want to travel. I'd be happy in an RV with my youngest kids who are still at home; going to an ocean & meeting wierd people along the way.

Other than that; I don't ...really know, anymore.

I've had 11 kids. This never stopped me from having a pretty diverse group of friends before but I left the employed world 10 years ago to take care of a disabled child.

Since then it's been basic day-to-day survival.

I've had a very strange life that I don't feel many people can relate to. Pick 3 different "women" from 3 different walks of life & roll them into one.

And I mean from one end of the spectrum to the other: Very rich. Very poor. Very addicted. Very healthy. Married. Prostitute. Mother. Party girl. Religious. Spiritual Crisis. Feminist. Housewife.

Thats me. I'm 48 & I've been a grandma since I was 41. I don't even feel like a grown-up. I feel like I roll-play a grown up!

I almost feel I do people a favor by not being able to really cultivate a friendship.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:25 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,906,392 times
I already have a friend. Thanks.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:22 AM

6 posts, read 5,423 times
Variety is the spice of life. I guarantee y'all have more in common than you're acknowledging. How much do you expect to have in common with your friends? Matching outfits? Same taste in mates? When 20 years go by and they're still in your life, then you know who your real friends are. Until then, don't overreact. Have a good time and keep it movin.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:25 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,322,703 times
Quote:
I still want to know why making friends is so much more difficult than it was a few years ago though.

I am fine with my own company. I like to write and read, so that takes up a lot of my time anyway. Unlike people, books, music and movies have never let me down or disappointed me.

I think some people have an easier time making friends and others don't. I think it's always been that way you just hear about it more due to the internet/social media/etc. As you get older, you're not "going out" as much, you're not always going to school and/or you're probably not hanging out with people at work---all ways people make friends---so that well sort of dries up.

My husband is my best friend. I have one other good friend---I'm in my 30s and she's in her 60s. We met in graduate school. Ignoring the age difference, we have a lot in common and we have very similar personalities. Other than that, I have a handful of friends I see here or there.

I have a hard time making and keeping friends. I've always been that way. Based on where I live, I would find it hard to find someone who I don't have at least one thing in common with but transport me somewhere else and that might not be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships