Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 03:38 PM

22,341 posts, read 47,322,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
I guess younger people overuse the term "friends" perhaps when what they mean is acquaintance or just plain old roommate.
Some think they have a 'friend' when anyone 'likes' anything on their social media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 03:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,551,829 times
Quote:
32. But those 10 years feel like a lot.

I don't hate them. One of them agreed to put me up when I broke up with my ex a few months ago (long story). I've known her for over a year through a Facebook group. We initially connected because we both suffer from anxiety and depression, but she got better and has a new roommate her own age. They get along great, but I feel left out or like the boring older sister. Good people, yes. Friends, no.

They feel like a lot, because they are a lot. If you were 52 and your roommates were 42 it wouldn't feel likes such a gap, if they were say 29 to your 32 it wouldn't be bad, but 22 to 32, big gap.

What do you mean you have known her over a year through a Facebook group? Have you known a year in person or did you just meet?

Yes, you're right. Many today(and especially younger people) throw the word "friend" around way too much, when your acquaintances.

Maybe you have too much of an expectation? Many times people live together due to economic reasons and while you make small talk and are "friendly" but aren't interested in friendships where you socialize other than maybe making a meal together at home once in awhile.

It sounds like she did you a favor by letting you move in and you're expecting too much. I would look for outside interests, if you have anxiety issues perhaps a group that is tailored to people 30 and over.

2,956 posts, read 2,328,980 times
My wife and child are all I need. I have one "true" friend who lives 900 miles from me. We have some family type "friends" that I'd go out of my way to help but I wouldn't say we have tons in common. Still nice to hand out with once in awhile.

51,956 posts, read 52,393,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I'm fine with no friends period.
Yeah, you can just cook the books and blast some Mastodon or Slayer and you'll be fine.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Some think they have a 'friend' when anyone 'likes' anything on their social media.
Exactly, and it's pretty sad. I know someone who is 46(and should know better) bragging about how many Facebook friends they have. I said "you do realize these people aren't friends".:

Funny, they didn't call any of them when they needed a ride after outpatient surgery, I picked them up.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:00 PM

854 posts, read 517,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
^^ This!!

Old 10-06-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
They feel like a lot, because they are a lot. If you were 52 and your roommates were 42 it wouldn't feel likes such a gap, if they were say 29 to your 32 it wouldn't be bad, but 22 to 32, big gap.

What do you mean you have known her over a year through a Facebook group? Have you known a year in person or did you just meet?

Yes, you're right. Many today(and especially younger people) throw the word "friend" around way too much, when your acquaintances.

Maybe you have too much of an expectation? Many times people live together due to economic reasons and while you make small talk and are "friendly" but aren't interested in friendships where you socialize other than maybe making a meal together at home once in awhile.

It sounds like she did you a favor by letting you move in and you're expecting too much. I would look for outside interests, if you have anxiety issues perhaps a group that is tailored to people 30 and over.
We met on a Facebook depression group. I stayed with the one friend before, but it was when she was still living with her mom and it was a healthier dynamic (at least for me). She's cool and all, but actually living together and her coming out of her shell has made me realize we haven't got anything in common.

I agree about age gaps. I tend to think people born after 1991 or so are just different in many respects. We don't like the same music. I feel old around them.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:29 PM

7,274 posts, read 5,252,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, you can just cook the books and blast some Mastodon or Slayer and you'll be fine.
......or Opeth

Old 10-06-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
......or Opeth
Huh?

Old 10-06-2016, 07:26 PM

51,956 posts, read 52,393,874 times
Quote:
Huh?
It's a metal band.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships