Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 09:08 PM

298 posts, read 278,334 times

Advertisements

How does one make friends with a female? it seems to be the hardest task ever, am I being too picky with which female I want to be friends with? I always try going after the good-looking young ones but I end up not doing so as they think im trying to hit on them, but im also just as young as they are and the same age, I don't have poor social-skills, I have friends who have the most good-looking female friends and I don't? Do you have to be good-looking to have female friends? I don't understand how its like being friends with females, I do better with guys at socializing but for some reason with females im just confused, im afraid to approach females also because of the fear of rejection, and not only that the cry for sexual-harassment or sexual-assault as I may think they are feminists, but I know they wont and aren't it might be a post dramatic stress that I have, I noticed most female friends only friends with those guys who they met in school or work and that's about it, they don't really accept strangers into there lives.

Last edited by Rockstar21; 10-07-2016 at 09:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 06:43 AM

11,836 posts, read 12,111,396 times
Reread what you wrote. The answers are already there as to why you're having this issue.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:29 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,335,567 times
Post dramatic stress? Is that a Freudian slip?

To have a friend, you have to be a friend.

Your post sounds desperate. Step back, and don't come on too strong.

Have you been accused of sexual harassment? Do you know why?

If you relax, treat women with kindness, and just enjoy their company, you might do better.

The guys who just seem to be about looking for sex are a turn off.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:33 AM

2,403 posts, read 3,849,006 times
Why do your prospective female friends have to be young and good looking? Answer this and your problem might be solved.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:40 AM

10 posts, read 12,917 times
'Desperado, why don't you come to your senses...'

Old 10-08-2016, 01:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,335,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Why do your prospective female friends have to be young and good looking? Answer this and your problem might be solved.
This too.

And develop yourself. A guy with a crummy personality and no mastery of anything is not a good catch for any woman. I think the solution to your problem is to change yourself.

Old 10-08-2016, 04:41 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,194,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
How does one make friends with a female? it seems to be the hardest task ever, am I being too picky with which female I want to be friends with? I always try going after the good-looking young ones but I end up not doing so as they think im trying to hit on them, but im also just as young as they are and the same age, I don't have poor social-skills, I have friends who have the most good-looking female friends and I don't? Do you have to be good-looking to have female friends? I don't understand how its like being friends with females, I do better with guys at socializing but for some reason with females im just confused, im afraid to approach females also because of the fear of rejection, and not only that the cry for sexual-harassment or sexual-assault as I may think they are feminists, but I know they wont and aren't it might be a post dramatic stress that I have, I noticed most female friends only friends with those guys who they met in school or work and that's about it, they don't really accept strangers into there lives.
As a who? Gay guy, straight guy, gay or straight woman? Slightly different answers, depending.

This is the most gender-neutral post, vis-a-vis OP's identity, seen by me in quite awhile...mildly curious if OP is a lesbian.

So alright, let's assume you're a hetero guy, for the sake of argument. I think most of the below may still apply to straight guys and lesbians equally:

- Referring to a woman who is "hot" yet you want to be a "friend" is a non sequitur. See "Ladder Theory:" ladder-jumping is a nonstarter/complete waste of valuable time and youth. If you're "going after the good looking hot ones," by all means: keep it going, that's what Tinder is for and I've certainly done my share of hookups and etc. Oh, wait: you mean as friends? Nuh uh!

- I've dated a woman or two, hasn't worked out, and we became friends after. I no longer found them attractive in that way, thus were more valuable and clicked better as friends. That's rare, but not unheard-of, in the normal course of dating and friendships.

- One of whom I call "inner circle" friends these days is a woman who is presentable, but I've never been particularly attracted to her and vice-versa. She's on Friend Ladder and I certainly won't be ladder-jumping, nor would she want me to, nor do I anticipate her making a pass at me either. We've actually discussed this a few times over the years, and it's a dumb idea for various reasons.

So, becoming the last woman's friend I mentioned above: being introduced through male friends back when she was friend-of-friend's wife (later, ex-wife), not ever hitting on her, not being a jerk, not leering/sneering/making juvenile sexual innuendo before I knew her (very) well as a friend, being kind and generous, and otherwise exemplifying traits the vast majority of women want in a friend. Including "being there," emotionally-speaking, when needed. Which is quite different than what men want in friendships, equally obviously.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:15 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,838,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
You sure about that?

Why do you refer to women as "females" and men as "guys" rather than "males"?

Old 10-08-2016, 07:37 PM

52,426 posts, read 52,978,006 times
First of all, stop calling them "female" it sounds like you're sitting on the Serengeti describing wildlife.

View them as people. That might be a good start.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:54 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,194,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
First of all, stop calling them "female" it sounds like you're sitting on the Serengeti describing wildlife.

View them as people. That might be a good start.
Shot I caught north of the Serengeti (Chobe National Park), Botswana, just over a year ago.

Pretty sure it's a male, though. Nor am I clear if it thought of the remaining herd as 'friends'. Guessing not; elephants know better

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships