Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 03:59 PM

51 posts, read 43,612 times

Advertisements

I have been invited before for thanksgiving and xmas but hubby had throat cancer and is still on a feeding tube. I did go yesterday and naturally I brought a home made dessert. I was always taught to 1. bring something 2. ask what you can do to help.

I asked if there was any thing I could do to help and my inlaw mom said no I got everything under control. I sat down when everthing was ready and we had a nice dinner. I asked what can I do to help you clean up and with out breaking stride she said you can clean up and do the dishes lol, and every body got up an walked away and went into the livingroom.

Now correct me if I am wrong. But to just leave me to clean every thing and all the pots and pans and dishes. no offer to dry so after I filled the sink with hot soapy water I rinsed all the dishes and placed them in the hot soapy basin. thank got there are 2 sinks. They have a huge table so I just soaked all the pots and pans and bowls and placed them on the table.

There is no room to put anything since the counter space was clutter. After washing all the dishes I walked into the living room and said to my daughter Jessica I need you to help me atleast dry the dishes as I threw her a dish towel and walked back into the kitchen. I said just place them on the talble in stacks.

She said to me mom you are so stupid to ask if there was anything to do to help. I whispered to her I didn't expect to have to clear the table and scrape all the dishes into the garbadge and trust me I wont be making this mistake again. I finished after about a hour and left everything in piles on the table.

jess, finished with you can dry the rest and walked away again I'm alone drying all the pots and pans and glasses. In all the years I have been invited out to someones house and offered to give the mom a hand I never was made to clean everything by my self again there was 12 people. If I am invited to xmas dinner I have learned my lesson and will not be asking what can I do to help you clean up.

Am I over reacting my husband said no that they left you to handle everything and it was your first time being over there.
thoughts? am I over reacting? I don't think so my feelings were hurt. the nerve. It was the first time since they got married that I have seen the parent of my daughters husband oh and I had 4 grandkids running around the whole time I was trying to get everything done.
lesson learned for sure. oh I did get a thank you when I walked into the living room and collapsed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 04:01 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,460,735 times
Your offer was honored!

Old 11-25-2016, 04:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,670,562 times
I don't think you're overreacting, "many hands make light work".

But you raised Jessica, how come she didn't get off her rear end and come help you? I mean you had to go into the living room and ask her to help dry.

I mean Jessica's comments about how you're so stupid to offer to help, doesn't bode well for you.

I went to a relative's house, I helped carry out various dishes of food and helped clear, without asking.

I mean you said you were taught to always ask if you can help, so was I, but what happened to Jessica, she sat on her a**?

Old 11-25-2016, 04:17 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,327,798 times
I blame your daughter and not you. She should have stepped up to help you clean up.

The in laws should have split the duties too since you said help not do it by yourself.

Honestly I would not return there for meals. Maybe if invited for a show up party...

Sorry you were treated such a way

Old 11-25-2016, 04:32 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,926,200 times
Are you seriously telling us your daughter didn't come in to help you until you asked her too? FOR 12 PEOPLE?? No way!! No way no how!!Jeez- these threads just keep getting better and better-I just finished reading a thread where a couple invited people they just met 2 minutes ago for thanksgiving dinner and wondered why they didn't show up and now this- I swear- you can't make this S**! up! Sorry OP you were dissed big time- and you are even considering going back for Christmas dinner? If you do go just show up in a french maids uniform- bless your heart- (and give your daughter a swift kick in the a$$ for me) she should have had your back and marshaled the forces to help you...................people...........

Old 11-25-2016, 04:39 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,417,380 times
I don't think you're overreacting at all. It's very rude to invite someone for dinner and then make them do all of the cleanup, especially for 12 people.

Yes, it's nice for guests to help out but not to make that one person do everything. I can't believe no one else offered to help you. Your daughter and her husband should've helped you or done the cleanup and let you relax.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:48 PM

619 posts, read 577,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired2014 View Post
I have been invited before for thanksgiving and xmas but hubby had throat cancer and is still on a feeding tube. I did go yesterday and naturally I brought a home made dessert. I was always taught to 1. bring something 2. ask what you can do to help.

I asked if there was any thing I could do to help and my inlaw mom said no I got everything under control. I sat down when everthing was ready and we had a nice dinner. I asked what can I do to help you clean up and with out breaking stride she said you can clean up and do the dishes lol, and every body got up an walked away and went into the livingroom.

Now correct me if I am wrong. But to just leave me to clean every thing and all the pots and pans and dishes. no offer to dry so after I filled the sink with hot soapy water I rinsed all the dishes and placed them in the hot soapy basin. thank got there are 2 sinks. They have a huge table so I just soaked all the pots and pans and bowls and placed them on the table.

There is no room to put anything since the counter space was clutter. After washing all the dishes I walked into the living room and said to my daughter Jessica I need you to help me atleast dry the dishes as I threw her a dish towel and walked back into the kitchen. I said just place them on the talble in stacks.

She said to me mom you are so stupid to ask if there was anything to do to help. I whispered to her I didn't expect to have to clear the table and scrape all the dishes into the garbadge and trust me I wont be making this mistake again. I finished after about a hour and left everything in piles on the table.

jess, finished with you can dry the rest and walked away again I'm alone drying all the pots and pans and glasses. In all the years I have been invited out to someones house and offered to give the mom a hand I never was made to clean everything by my self again there was 12 people. If I am invited to xmas dinner I have learned my lesson and will not be asking what can I do to help you clean up.

Am I over reacting my husband said no that they left you to handle everything and it was your first time being over there.
thoughts? am I over reacting? I don't think so my feelings were hurt. the nerve. It was the first time since they got married that I have seen the parent of my daughters husband oh and I had 4 grandkids running around the whole time I was trying to get everything done.
lesson learned for sure. oh I did get a thank you when I walked into the living room and collapsed.
No they were seriously seriously rude to you.

But I think you would have been OK to do a portion of the clean up and then leave the rest for, I don't know, the hosts? Or come out of the kitchen after surveying the work, and say "uh, guys , I'm more than happy to help you but this is too much work for me. I'll need at least three extra pairs of hands. Here, Lisa you put the food away, Sarah you scrape and rinse the plates, and Bessie you do the glasses and I'll start on the flatware ".

lFor example, if it were me, I probably would have done part of the work, such as stacked all the plates, put all the flatware in a tub of water and soap, poured water in the pans, wiped Down the counter. I wouldn't have also washed and dried.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:44 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,039,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired2014 View Post

That is a horrible way to treat any guest. Like you, I was taught to always ask if there was anything I could do to help. Most often, the hostess would say, "No, thanks, I've got it," or once in a while she would say, "How about I wash, you dry," or something like that, but never in my life have I heard of the hostess laying it all on a guest (even if family/in-law) like they were her personal slave labor.

I would have been in there crying like Cinderella. If you go there next year, your hostess gift should be a box of Brillo pads and a dishcloth.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:45 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,216,487 times
You should have just put the dishes on the floor for the dog to lick clean. After the dog finished, put them in the cabinet. Then announce what you did, as you are leaving.

Don't go back Christmas (it's a trap).

Old 11-25-2016, 05:45 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,753,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I blame your daughter and not you. She should have stepped up to help you clean up.

The in laws should have split the duties too since you said help not do it by yourself.

Honestly I would not return there for meals. Maybe if invited for a show up party...

Sorry you were treated such a way

OH WOW, I would have TOLD your daughter to help AND her husband! I would never expect a guest to do all of that work. I actually think it's quite rude of them and if I was you I would NEVER return!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships