Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 08:51 AM

894 posts, read 589,696 times

Advertisements

I just remember I heard my great-grandmother tell one of us many years not to whistle on a Sunday. Bless her heart.

Also, a family friend's dad believed that if his daughter's hair got combed past 6pm, "she wouldn't do good in school" the next day. Whew. (To this day, I feel kind of sorry for the old guy.)

Have your parents or grandparents ever said something that made you want to scratch your head and say "huh?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 09:48 AM

11,581 posts, read 6,775,910 times
This is a little different from what the OP is asking, but I just said thought of this saying the other day that my mom used to say when my two younger daughters where arguing with each other.

When my brother and I were younger and we used to fight and argue while being on break from school, my mom used to say "Stop fighting or I'll bring you to school". We would say "but we're on break, school is closed" and she would say " I'll bring you to school and you could wait by the doors till they open". Obviously she was kidding, but now being a parent I think it was funny she would say that!

Old 11-27-2016, 09:56 AM

^^^^Hilarious! The fear of school should be more than enough to make any kid behave.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:57 AM

15,223 posts, read 10,393,633 times
My grandmother believed using tampons would cause early menopause and that it was dangerous to take a bath/shower more than once a week. She would only wash her hair once a month (thank goodness it was dry) because she was afraid the hair color, which was permanent, not semi-permanent would wash out quicker.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:07 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,298,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My grandmother believed using tampons would cause early menopause
Ok, that's a new one! I was always told using tampons would make you "not a virgin". So could riding a bike.

Unfortunately, mine center around weirdo beliefs about bodies and sex. I could fill up the entire forum with these. Let's see...

The girl is to blame for premarital sex, not the man.

Men's brains and muscles are bigger than women's, meaning they are smarter and stronger.

You should ask boys questions to make them feel smarter, even if you already know the answer.

Homosexuality in men is caused by having too close a relationship with the mother. (I had a few more on this topic, but they are just too painful and offensive to repeat. Gawd, I was raised by an ignorant person.)

Females menstruate today because of Eve's sin.

If I was to begin to bring up the pseudoscientific stuff...we'd be here all day. Just insert every wackadoodle herbology, iridology, reflexology, and cure-all vitamins sold via pyramid schemes here.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:12 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,300,653 times
Not quite what the OP is asking. But I think it will be appreciated.

I had a very sweet G.Ma.....And she had a lovely sense of humor. She was once trying to describe to me over the phone how small her new little apartment was. She said, "It's so small I have to step outside to cuss the cat"
Gosh I miss her.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:12 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,598,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
Ok, that's a new one! I was always told using tampons would make you "not a virgin". So could riding a bike.

Unfortunately, mine center around weirdo beliefs about bodies and sex. I could fill up the entire forum with these. Let's see...

Men's brains and muscles are bigger than women's, meaning they are smarter and stronger.

You should ask boys questions to make them feel smarter, even if you already know the answer.

Homosexuality in men is caused by having too close a relationship with the mother. (I had a few more on this topic, but they are just too painful and offensive to repeat. Gawd, I was raised by an ignorant person.)

If I was to begin to bring up the pseudoscientific stuff...we'd be here all day. Just insert every wackadoodle herbology, iridology, reflexology, and cure-all vitamins sold via pyramid schemes here.
Some of those are quite obvious old stereotypes (still in effect in many areas of the world)

No hymen = not a virgin

It's up the the girl to say no and or not get in vulnerable situations - because, well, boys will be boys

Women aren't rational enough for important decisions

Homosexuals are made by being too soft on male children or having them perform traditional female activities.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:

That one about bike-riding taking away one's virginity, wow. May God bless our parents/grandparents. They truly are/were a trip!

Old 11-27-2016, 12:31 PM

88,869 posts, read 85,336,177 times
Quote:

My mother believed tampons would cause cancer because you were "keeping all that stuff up inside of you". It took a while for me to realize how stupid that was and feel free to use them. Thank goodness I had older sisters.

Then there was the thing about girls being raped because their skirts were so short.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:32 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,929,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
That one about bike-riding taking away one's virginity, wow. May God bless our parents/grandparents. They truly are/were a trip!
My mom/grandmother believed doing splits or falling in a certain way would break the hymen. But I don't think they confused no hymen and not a virgin. Or at least I don't think so.

I remember being told all the time the most unappealing part of food (bread crust, chicken skin, burnt parts, etc) was the healthiest.

My dad actually believed you should put butter on a burn and wouldn't believe differently.

I am sure more will pop in my head soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships