Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 03:24 PM

27 posts, read 16,178 times

Advertisements

This is about me, just in case you wondered!

Aside from mother troubles, I also have work troubles. My last permanent position that I was ar for almost three years had mass layoffs a year ago and unfortunately I was apart of that. So over the last year I've worked a few temporary positions and finally landed a permanent position and I've only been here for 3 weeks, but there's a lot that I do not like about the company. I feel completely overworked. You can just tell that this is the type of company that has employees doing two jobs because they're too cheap to hire additional help.

I've been working with temp agencies since I was out of high school so I have a good relationship with a lot of them in my area. I emailed a temp agency right by me and explained my current situation and asked if they could go back to finding me something else. They seemed on board, but then today I ask them how they would handle interviewing if I worked from 8:30 to 5 and all the sudden they became reluctant to find me anything because they didn't want to take me from a permanent position and put me into a temporary to hire position. But I figured I would have a difficult time finding a job on my own because of my restricted interviewing time. So now I don't know if they're actually going to help me and I'm starting to feel trapped here.

Again you guys know I'm not great with words and I tend to be a bit over emotional, so what do I tell these temp agencies? The truth is I don't want to work here anymore and I am on the verge of quitting but I know I can't quit because I can't be without income. I am willing to leave a permanent job to move into a temporary to hire situation. I just feel like I drew the short end of the stick here and this job is not for me at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 04:00 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,516,255 times
Did this agency place you in this job? They won't get paid if you quit so early. And a temp to perm placement doesn't pay as well.

It's always better to be employed while looking for a job than unemployed. People with jobs make excuses or book time off to go to interviews. The agency were probably surprised that you were asking this kind of question. An agency doesn't do anything beyond screening candidates. It is still on you to try and figure out how you are going to make it to interviews.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:03 PM

27 posts, read 16,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
Did this agency place you in this job? They won't get paid if you quit so early. And a temp to perm placement doesn't pay as well.

It's always better to be employed while looking for a job than unemployed. People with jobs make excuses or book time off to go to interviews. The agency were probably surprised that you were asking this kind of question. An agency doesn't do anything beyond screening candidates. It is still on you to try and figure out how you are going to make it to interviews.
No, they didn't place me here. I found this job on my own. I mean, I know they screen candidates, but they also do a lot more. They help with interviewing and they have a lot of contacts, so they can help with finding a job. And the pay I make now is less than when I was a temp. I've had better pay with some temp jobs. I'm won't quit for a temp job, only a temp to hire job. Only if it's a certainty that it will go permanent.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:46 AM

554 posts, read 623,784 times
I agree with the poster who said you can always take time off from work for interviews. I realize you may not have time accumulated yet since this is a fairly new position but you could always take time off without pay. If you are that unhappy and determined to find a job you could use any accuse such as a sick day to get time off for a interview. Just make sure when you start looking that it is a job you are really interested in before you start taking time off work for interviews. Honestly, I think if you have only been working at your current job for a short while you should try to stick it out a little longer. The company may not be a bad as you think it is shoot you haven't even made it thru the probationary period...lol

Old 12-21-2016, 08:52 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,516,255 times
Agencies get paid by the companies that come to them looking for someone. If the company didn't ask them to find someone, they're not going to place somebody there. That's how they make their money, they don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships