Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 07:38 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,719,018 times

Advertisements

Have you ever known someone with a "black cloud" over their head? This person seems to always has misfortune through no fault of their own (well sometimes it's their fault). Obviously some people make bad decisions, but some people seem to have bad luck, regardless of what decisions they make.

Our office assistant is like this. Within the past two months, she has experienced:
  • Office computer hard drive died
  • Involved in a crash where the driver left the scene
  • Flat tire & the replacement tire was faulty two days later
  • Cut her finger pretty badly slicing tomatoes
  • Dropped her brand new phone
  • Frequently sick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 07:55 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,453 times
I'd just feel badly for them.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:37 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
That all seems unrelated, and I don't think of most of that as a big deal. Those are all things that often happen, and it's just coincidental that they happened in a short span of time. Two of those could be attributed to not paying attention, but still seems in normal range to me.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
It seems like some of her problems are from not paying attention or thinking ahead. Maybe she's young? I know that when I'm really stressed or tired or preoccupied, that's when I do something like cut myself while chopping. Recently did this while chopping potatoes. I was stressed and not paying attention.

After learning the hard way about things like dropping brand new phones, when I recently bought an iphone, I actually ordered an Otterbox case for it at the same time, so when I received the phone, it went directly into the case for it to protect it. I also buy warranty insurance for new, expensive things, so if I spill coffee on my new Macbook, it will be replaced.

And I wonder about the replacement tire she bought. What kind of tires is she buying, that they go flat and fail? That's another thing we usually learn the hard way when we're young. I can remember buying retreads and hearing them peel off while driving down the highway LOL.

Hard drive - why was the office hard drive her problem? Or was it her responsibility to be sure her work was backed up, and she didn't do it?

Drivers leave the scene of a crash all the time. That happened to me, too.

Frequently sick - is she calling in to take time off work because she's sick?

She sounds young and distracted. Party animal not getting enough sleep?

Anyway, I think a lot of her problems are of her own making. And there's always the glass half empty, glass half full attitude, too. If you're looking for proof that your life sucks, you'll find it - and same for the opposite.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:48 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
If I didn't know better, I'd say I'm your assistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

Our office assistant is like this. Within the past two months, she has experienced:
Nope, hasn't happened.

This has happened to me TWICE

Nope

Yep. Got four stitches

I dropped not one but two iPhones into water

• Frequently sick
Unfortunately true.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:13 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
I had this six years ago, and it's happening again....

Six years ago my mom was diagnosed with cancer, my sister with leukemia, my dad was given his last rites (somehow did not pass) my son diagnosed with Aspergers, I was being bullied at my job...it was endless.

Now my father just passed, my husband lost his job and our hot water heater just broke spilling gallons of water all over the house creating thousands of dollars in damage. No idea what the hell I am going to do.

Hopefully the cloud will lift soon!

Old 12-09-2016, 03:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,036,935 times
Quote:
Have you ever known someone with a "black cloud" over their head? This person seems to always has misfortune through no fault of their own (well sometimes it's their fault). Obviously some people make bad decisions, but some people seem to have bad luck, regardless of what decisions they make.

• Frequently sick
Office computer: not her fault or her concern

Car accident: can happen to anyone at any moment

flat tire with bad spare: again, can happen to anyone. (when the last time YOU checked the condition of your tires, much less checked your spare?)

Cutting her finger: people do this all the time while cutting fruit/veggies.

Dropped her phone: Again, something that happens to people ALL THE TIME. (well, not me..I don't drop my iPhone, but I do know people who've had to repair theirs quite often.

Sick: People get sick all the time. Maybe she has kids in school or daycare. Right now the flu is bad in my area and so pneumonia and strep throat.

This stuff happens to a lot of people everyday and has nothing to do with a 'black cloud' hanging over them.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:47 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I had this six years ago, and it's happening again....

Six years ago my mom was diagnosed with cancer, my sister with leukemia, my dad was given his last rites (somehow did not pass) my son diagnosed with Aspergers, I was being bullied at my job...it was endless.

Now my father just passed, my husband lost his job and our hot water heater just broke spilling gallons of water all over the house creating thousands of dollars in damage. No idea what the hell I am going to do.

Hopefully the cloud will lift soon!

I am so sorry. Good luck to you and your family.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:49 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Quote:

I have known a few people who seem like they have a streak of bad luck. It happens. At least hers are not serious ones. Maybe her luck will change soon.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:53 AM

6,565 posts, read 8,402,207 times
I've known a couple of people who seem to have a run of bad luck, and can't catch a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships