Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 06:29 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times

Advertisements

I guess this is more of a rant than anything else, but does anyone else hate the holidays because it means relatives come to visit? I just spent over a week with a house full of in-laws, and it was a nightmare of stress. I can't stand my MIL especially. All of them can easily afford hotels, but instead they have to stay with us and are never happy with anything (the temperature, the beds, the linens, the shower, and so on), and my MIL criticizes me constantly and offers a never-ending stream of unsolicited advice. After a week of "vacation," I need a vacation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 06:38 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
I'd get roaring drunk, serve cold cereal for breakfast and take out Chinese for dinner. Everyone takes turns making lunch, their dime. If you're going to be criticised no matter what you do, you may as well enjoy! They won't be back the following year.
I'm taking the first week of the year off. This may be my new tradition.
Edited to add: wear a French maid uniform. doesn't matter if you're male or female. the sexier the better. (i got out of bed to add that... it's perfect)

Last edited by hunterseat; 01-03-2017 at 07:17 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 06:44 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
Why did they "have" to stay with you guys?

Perhaps now would be the best time to start planning for a vacation out next Xmas where you won't need to deal with the in laws.

Last edited by Inkpoe; 01-03-2017 at 08:06 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 08:00 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Why did they "have" to stay with guys?

Perhaps now would be the best time to start planning for a vacation out next Xmas where you won't need to deal with the in laws.
I was thinking the same things.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I guess this is more of a rant than anything else, but does anyone else hate the holidays because it means relatives come to visit? I just spent over a week with a house full of in-laws, and it was a nightmare of stress. I can't stand my MIL especially. All of them can easily afford hotels, but instead they have to stay with us and are never happy with anything (the temperature, the beds, the linens, the shower, and so on), and my MIL criticizes me constantly and offers a never-ending stream of unsolicited advice. After a week of "vacation," I need a vacation!
How does your wife feel about this? Does she/do you invite them to stay? To a point, I do understand how you feel. It is hard to have a house full of people, and not at all relaxing.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:46 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,262,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Why did they "have" to stay with you guys?

Yep, time to plan that Christmas-to-New-Year's weeklong vacation.

Alternatively, plan that major house renovation to start a month or so before Christmas. You know, the kind where they rip out your entire kitchen or bathroom. Bathroom might be best. "Oh, sorry, Mom. The plumbers temporarily put the toilet at the bottom of the basement stairs". (This actually happened when I was a kid. I am not sure what the plumbers hooked the toilet up to while our sole bathroom was being renovated, but we all had to "go" in the basement, while yelling up the stairs, "Don't come down the stairs until I tell you it's OK." Oh, boy, my brothers had some fun with that. Sorry for the t/j there.)

I also like the suggestion to not care how you act, because you are going to be criticized no matter what. You might as well enjoy yourself.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:50 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,985,456 times
Quote:
Holy crap!!! Honey is that you? I didn't know you had a cd account..
The stress was really on me though. Trying to make you happy and my family at the same time.
If only y'all were honest with each other and didn't hold things in the way you do.
Believe me it was more stressful for me than you sweetheart.
I'll treat your family the same way you treated mine.
Night dear.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:46 AM

866 posts, read 630,115 times
Quote:
Google: self esteem and self respect and you will know how to deal with troublesome folks the next time! When you have good, solid self worth, you can tell anyone where to "stick it" if and when they act like spoiled brats in your home and even tell them there's NO room at your house for them!
IT'S YOUR HOUSE!!!!
I used to watch my pathetic parents put up with and endure rotten visitors and could never figure out why they let the rotten visitors mistreat ALL of us. Now I know why - BAD SELF ESTEEM! They just didn't have the GUTS to tell the morons where to "get off"!

Old 01-04-2017, 05:37 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,985,456 times
Seriously OP.
Your frustration is understood.
I can relate.
This year I plan on traveling 1000 plus miles to be with my stubborn relatives as not to put my stubborn spouse
In an unwanted situation.
Tried to reason with both of them this xmas and they both refuse to meet in the middle.
As for me, I make my own happiness.
I will never put my parents out and make them feel less than.
Spouse has valid complaints, but he could have handled himself differently. Same with my mother.
My goal this year is not to get in between them.
I'm eyeing 2 summer and winter 2017 plane tickets as I type.
It's a real shame when family can't tolerate each other.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:28 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrich View Post
Google: self esteem and self respect and you will know how to deal with troublesome folks the next time! When you have good, solid self worth, you can tell anyone where to "stick it" if and when they act like spoiled brats in your home and even tell them there's NO room at your house for them!
IT'S YOUR HOUSE!!!!
I used to watch my pathetic parents put up with and endure rotten visitors and could never figure out why they let the rotten visitors mistreat ALL of us. Now I know why - BAD SELF ESTEEM! They just didn't have the GUTS to tell the morons where to "get off"!
Having good self esteem doesn't mean being rude, and being polite doesn't mean you have low self esteem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships