Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:13 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I remember growing up my mom would always compare our families to other families with children she knew like we were never good enough. Like other families were so perfect compared to the one I grew up in. My dad was a lazy slob who rarely helped around the house or helped my mom with parental responsibilities of raising us 4 children. My mom played the martyr role very well. She felt the need to "control" the household but at the same time constantly complain about it. I feel like my sister's suicide was a result of their bad parenting
I am sorry ...

How old was she when she died?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 02:17 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
I remember growing up my mom would always compare our families to other families with children she knew like we were never good enough. Like other families were so perfect compared to the one I grew up in. My dad was a lazy slob who rarely helped around the house or helped my mom with parental responsibilities of raising us 4 children. My mom played the martyr role very well. She felt the need to "control" the household but at the same time constantly complain about it. I feel like my sister's suicide was a result of their bad parenting
I don't think you can convict your parents here. I had a lazy dad and controlling and nagging mom and I never tried to kill myself. Many others have the same type of parents but manage to live somehow. Sucicide is rarely attributed to one factor.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:22 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I don't think you can convict your parents here. I had a lazy dad and controlling and nagging mom and I never tried to kill myself. Many others have the same type of parents but manage to live somehow. Sucicide is rarely attributed to one factor.
I had controlling parents and bullying at school. I wanted to be dead from age 11-14. I don't think I was mentally ill.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:24 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,401 times
Quote:
You are trying to assign blame for your sister's act as a way of coping. You need to seek professional help and truly start dealing with this. In your head you may think you have dealt with it, but you haven't...get some help.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:26 PM

711 posts, read 688,676 times
Happyfarms, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I don't think anyone here can could say whether your family history impacted your sister's suicide. If you could have one last conversation with her, she might not even be able to tell you the conclusive reason.

Often, one of the hardest things in the world is to accept outcomes that may not have a simple black/white reason. As was suggested earlier, it could be helpful for you to get counseling so that you can find a way to come to terms with your family history and your sister's suicide.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:49 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Maybe you should talk to a psychologist. Just to air things out. I am sorry for your sisters death and thinking maybe this has affected you in ways you aren't aware of. Stay strong.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:58 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
No one will ever know why your sister committed suicide. She isn't here to tell us.

I am sorry for your loss but blaming others will not bring her back or make things better. It could make things worse.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:16 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,677 times
Very sorry for your loss but your sister is responsible for her suicide nobody else.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:01 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
You might want to consider joining a suicide survivor support group.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:13 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
I don't know the answer to why your sister killed herself, but condolences on your loss.

Mainly, I'm really sorry you got such a crappy mom. My bio mom plays that martyr role...it's fricken disgusting. Got passed down to my sister - I can't deal with people like that. It's lies and manipulation, and people fall for it.

Here's the thing: Your sister is gone. Your mom will not change. Does she feel guilt? I doubt it. She'll play on it all, though, if she's a martyr like mine. She'll whip that sympathy card out whenever she needs to manipulate someone - so expect that. If you're old enough to live on your own, I hope you don't get sucked in to all of that crap from her. If you're not yet old enough, when you are, get far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships