Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 06:00 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,084,935 times

Advertisements

A bunch of 'em.....all at once.

Approaching my 50th birthday, my now estranged ex-wife was adamant about throwing me a party to celebrate the event. My plan was to have another married couple over (long time great friends), and have a real nice bbq dinner at home.

She decided to invite many of her "work friends" over for a surprise party (at our house), and lemme tell ya, it was more than an inconvenience. I was REAL busy with my job, had multiple home projects going on at the same time, and I really wasn't enthusiastic about hosting ANOTHER party at home....

I received a bunch of gag gifts from folks that I barely knew. Plus, I felt inclined to run to the grocery store and shell out big bucks for a lot more food than what I was planning to prepare. Plus alcohol. I plodded my way through this fiasco as long as I could.......

Ex-wifey had a trip planned and was leaving the next morning for a week. Guess who got to clean up the mess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 06:17 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,748,986 times
A Cleopatra necklace from a friend when I was 16 and I had to wear it when going out with her.. it was hideous.. and a second hand dolls pram with a wonky wheel that I had to keep kicking to stop it rubbing against the wheel in front, embarrassment of my life hahaha.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:34 AM

75 posts, read 71,133 times
For Christmas, my mother gave me 2 wooden plate chargers. Not four, just two. Oh, and she forgot to take the clearance price tag off the back so I could see how little she spent on me that Christmas.

Everyone else got nice gifts that obviously didn't come from the clearance aisle.

The year before, she gave me a cheap (I mean CHEEEAAAPPP) crappy set of plastic spoons that were dipped in chocolate for me to use in coffee. Didn't take the clearance tag off of those as well.

Out of her four kids, obviously I am her 10th favorite.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:53 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,140 times
I was about 10 y/o and "Santa Claus" gave me a MC Hammer Doll... I was sooo upset I cried and cried.. All wanted was a black Ken doll... I guess he couldn't find one...

Old 02-06-2017, 11:58 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,639,614 times
OMG! I'm sorry, but I can't help laughing about some of these horrible presents!

My mother is notorious for giving hideous, unsuitable gifts for Christmas. She knows that I hate pastels and that I prefer not to receive clothing gifts, so of course, one year I got a pair of banana yellow corduroy jeans, and another year a Pepto-Bismol pink, floor-length off the shoulder peasant dress (both went directly to Goodwill). More hideous gifts through the years: a black lawn jockey, a kangaroo lamp, grinning pumpkin clip-on earrings (my ears have been pierced since my teens and even if they weren't, I would not wear them), 2 paint-by numbers clown pictures,and pink ceramic pig filled with marbles.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:36 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
My brother, despite bragging about how much money he has, buys the worst gifts. He gave my Nephew a used book. He gave me a old kitchen scale. We used to draw names for presents, and everybody would worry that he would be the one that chose us.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:52 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
A friend brought me some really outdated film -- like 5 years outdated -- he and his mother had found in a thrift store. The whole thing was weird. It wasn't "Here, I saw this and thought of you" but "See what I found?" He was so pleased with himself for finding it, so I decided not to treat it as a gift.

I reimbursed him for it and chucked it in the trash when I got home.

The weirdest gift situation was when an in-law got me a nice plaid scarf for Christmas but kept talking about how much she loved it and how much she wished she'd bought it for herself instead. All I could think was "Is she hinting I should give it back to her?"
^^^ I've had this happen before someone gives me a gift - I like the gift and thank them but they go on a bit too much about how much they like it and wish they bought one for themself. It's like enough already stop carrying on. Geez !

I've had people say, I bought one for myself because I liked it so much, and I think that's great. I've done that before, too but depending on who I'm giving the gift to I usually don't say anything. It's their gift to open and enjoy the moment.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:01 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Oh the plastic spoons made me laugh and reminded me of a gift from my mother in law many years ago... I could have cried when I opened it more with embarrassment, it was a plastic ball full of coloured cotton wool balls and a scarf Id given her for Mothers Day ... some months before, she must have forgotten who bought her the scarf hahaha..I never told my hubby to this day ...Im a giver and always try to pick nice good gifts... for others and gifts that suit them or I think they would like.... maybe she felt the same and that we all need and like cotton wool balls hahaha.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:31 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
One year my husband and I shopped and shopped for a coffee table. We found one we sorta liked, but I decided it was too old fashioned. My husband liked it more than I did but he was okay with passing on it.

My inlaws bought it for us for Christmas. They thought we passed on it because it was too expensive. I never said that but maybe husband did. They put the small drawer in a box for unwrapping so they had to explain it. My face just fell. That was not the first thing they gave both of us that was really just for husband.

When we got divorced, that coffee table was one of the first things I put in his truck to take to his new place.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:12 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,094 times
LOL. Some hilarious stuffs here.

I've gotten some weird X'mas gifts that were mostly forgotten or thrown soon enough. I remember an ex-colleague gave me a framed butterfly, it looked dull and just eery.. Like wtf am I gonna do with it?
Another time I received from friend a sexy panty which looks nice, but apparently it looked too big for my size! I figured it'd fit better for herself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships