Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 12:21 PM

32,512 posts, read 47,530,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
A joke like that is only funny if you tell the person right away. ......
I don't think it is funny even if you tell them right away. It is a cruel joke with the intention of ridiculing the recipient. It's given so that you can laugh at them and make them feel foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 12:39 PM

44,277 posts, read 19,938,833 times
A guy I dated for almost 6 years when I was in my 20s really took the cake. He was cheap as can be, but I was young and naïve then, so I was impressed by him - at first. He always liked to make a public scene when he gave me a gift, so that strangers could ooooh and aaaah about what a thoughtful, wonderful, generous person he was. Prime example:

We were at a restaurant (a cheap family-type chain restaurant) and halfway through the meal he excused himself for a minute. He returned from the car with a large and very beautiful floral arrangement for me. I could hardly believe it, because he had always been so cheap before. I thought it was a lovely gift and I thanked him profusely. (Though I was embarrassed with the big floral arrangement on the table at the restaurant and all the attention it drew from other patrons.)

A week later, we were at a Burger King and he did the same thing -- excused himself and returned with a large floral arrangement. All of the B-K people praised him for being so romantic and generous. Some even clapped.

The next day, his mom asked me how I liked the flowers. I said something to the effect of, "Oh, you know about the flowers? They sure were a surprise!" She proceeded to tell me that my boyfriend did not purchase the flowers. His mom was participating in a marketing survey, and each week a different florist would send her a big floral arrangement, ordered and purchased by the marketing company. She then had to fill out a questionnaire about the quality of the arrangement, delivery service, etc. Each week when she received the arrangement, she gave it to her son, who in turned gave it to me. But until I found out where he got them, he took the credit and the accolades for being such a generous romantic.

He was so full of !

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:46 PM

3,393 posts, read 3,997,859 times
For a few years, all I wanted was a camera. Any kind of camera, I wasn't picky. Well, I open the gift from my grandparents and it's a Kodal camera. I started jumping up and down and squealing with joy. They sat there stock-still and told me to open it. I open the box and it's filled with stale Halloween candy.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:56 PM

993 posts, read 2,282,317 times
My grandmother sent me a birthday card with a single stick of gum in it. I never expected anything from her, since she had 26 grandchildren, so it was actually sort of funny and sweet at the same time. That was the only time she got me something for my birthday.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:09 PM

11,021 posts, read 17,410,070 times
It's not one I received, but a friend of mine bought his girlfriend a 4 ft x 6 ft black velvet picture of Elvis. She and her mother, who she lived with and was taking care of, were not, and never have been, fans of Elvis Presley (Smart people!). My friend is one of those who likes to buy you things that HE likes and it doesn't matter if you do or not. Next time he went over to see her, two days later, she had stored the picture in the garage. He got mad and broke up with her.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:25 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,211,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
It's not one I received, but a friend of mine bought his girlfriend a 4 ft x 6 ft black velvet picture of Elvis. She and her mother, who she lived with and was taking care of, were not, and never have been, fans of Elvis Presley (Smart people!). My friend is one of those who likes to buy you things that HE likes and it doesn't matter if you do or not. Next time he went over to see her, two days later, she had stored the picture in the garage. He got mad and broke up with her.

She didn't like the velvet Elvis?

Webb Wilder has something to say about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czoCv5oBnBY

Old 02-17-2017, 01:21 PM

505 posts, read 578,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
A guy I dated for almost 6 years when I was in my 20s really took the cake. He was cheap as can be, but I was young and naïve then, so I was impressed by him - at first. He always liked to make a public scene when he gave me a gift, so that strangers could ooooh and aaaah about what a thoughtful, wonderful, generous person he was. Prime example:

We were at a restaurant (a cheap family-type chain restaurant) and halfway through the meal he excused himself for a minute. He returned from the car with a large and very beautiful floral arrangement for me. I could hardly believe it, because he had always been so cheap before. I thought it was a lovely gift and I thanked him profusely. (Though I was embarrassed with the big floral arrangement on the table at the restaurant and all the attention it drew from other patrons.)

A week later, we were at a Burger King and he did the same thing -- excused himself and returned with a large floral arrangement. All of the B-K people praised him for being so romantic and generous. Some even clapped.

The next day, his mom asked me how I liked the flowers. I said something to the effect of, "Oh, you know about the flowers? They sure were a surprise!" She proceeded to tell me that my boyfriend did not purchase the flowers. His mom was participating in a marketing survey, and each week a different florist would send her a big floral arrangement, ordered and purchased by the marketing company. She then had to fill out a questionnaire about the quality of the arrangement, delivery service, etc. Each week when she received the arrangement, she gave it to her son, who in turned gave it to me. But until I found out where he got them, he took the credit and the accolades for being such a generous romantic.

He was so full of !

IMO there was nothing wrong with him gifting you with those flowers. That was still sweet he thought of you to give them to.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:28 PM

19,235 posts, read 15,104,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freak7 View Post
IMO there was nothing wrong with him gifting you with those flowers. That was still sweet he thought of you to give them to.
No, there was nothing wrong with him giving them to her. The problem was that he was trying to present himself as spending all this money, and thought, on giving these flowers to her. It wasn't that way; they just fell into his lap, so to speak. It was the dishonesty.

When I was a teenager, one of my brothers gave me a wrapped box on my birthday. When I opened it, there was a 1 lb. bag of sunflower seeds in it. lol It was a running joke in my family how much I loved sunflower seeds. I laughed out loud when I saw it, and I was thrilled.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:35 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,663,390 times
^^^^^ I agree it was dishonest. Really tacky. Just kinda would make me question their overall integrity.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:37 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,818,039 times
An very dear out-of state older cousin who was an amateur artist gave me a large framed oil painting he'd done, consisting of various ancient Egyptian motifs, rather randomly spaced around the canvas: King Tut's mask here, a cat there, hieroglyphics and an ankh and a pyramid scattered around the edges with a sphinx near the bottom. None of them were in scale with or related to one another - they were just placed here and there.

I was not especially interested in ancient Egypt and had nothing Egyptian in my home. But I thanked him and praised the detail and precision in his work, and said I'd have to find a special place for it.

Which I did, knowing he was unlikely to make the long trip to my home again. That special place turned out to be in the home of a friend who just loved anything Egyptian and thought this was the best thing since sliced papyrus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships