Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 05:56 AM

5,202 posts, read 6,142,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
This decline has been noted for a number of years now, and some are just closing down as they do not have enough members that their dues will pay the bills to keep it open. These are just two of the many articles about this over the last 20 years of decline.

Fraternal, service groups battle waning membership - Washington Times

Masons, other service groups fight membership declines - USATODAY.com

And the same thing is happening for the American Legion and VFW.

Veteran groups struggle amid membership declines - News - Pekin Daily Times - Pekin, IL

Embattled VFW mulls image among declining numbers | TribLIVE

https://www.military1.com/coast-guar...e-for-members/

The fraternal and veteran groups have been on the way out for years. Many have closed and gone out of being, and others will join them in the near future.

I have a 64 year old son, who has been active in a fraternity for years. He was one of the officers. He would have been the next president of their lodge, but instead due to the lodge was dying, he chose to drop out. It had gotten so he was the youngest in the local lodge, and did not want to be the one that dissolved it, as he could not see any longer see any future for the lodge.
This exactly.........changing society, both parents working, children on traveling sports teams. Time is not something readily available to families now and unfortunately the political climate may play a small part.

Wall Street Journal had an article several, years ago on how some of these organizations were trying to actively recruit at the college levels.

I know here in our area and the next bordering town over the state line had what appeared to be open information about joining the Masons.

I know quite a few who belong to the Eagles, Moose, American Legion, etc. and have been a guest to some of their functions and seldom see anyone younger than fifity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 07:04 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I live in a small city of about 50,000. The Fraternal Order of Moose used to run a large gym and swimming pool complex for the public. Over time, their footprint has substantially declined - they've gone from a prominent position to basically a drinking establishment on the fringe of downtown. Same with the Eagles - they're hanging on, but barely. American Legion is also suffering from declining membership in the area.

Why are these organizations having so much trouble? Are they in decline where you live?
They went the same place as Carnival Glass, and pipe (tobacco) smoking!

Old 02-11-2017, 10:05 AM

745 posts, read 480,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
This exactly.........changing society, both parents working, children on traveling sports teams. Time is not something readily available to families now and unfortunately the political climate may play a small part.

Wall Street Journal had an article several, years ago on how some of these organizations were trying to actively recruit at the college levels.

I know here in our area and the next bordering town over the state line had what appeared to be open information about joining the Masons.

I know quite a few who belong to the Eagles, Moose, American Legion, etc. and have been a guest to some of their functions and seldom see anyone younger than fifity.
I agree with those things you mention, to include the fact that there are many more shift workers than there were years ago. When I was kid (sixties, early seventies), the stores were not open as late and you didn't have 24 hr grocery stores (nor ones that stay open until midnight) or convenience stores.

Now there are many parents that are working these jobs and one parent has to stay home. Additionally, salaried office workers are expected to work longer hours at their jobs if they want to survive.

There are many more distractions (namely home entertainment) that people find much more relaxing. I'm referring to cable tv, vcr, dvd......65 inch tv screen, which is probably more enjoyable to many than sitting the smoky loud elks lodge, and of course the internet. This ties into the need for more family time, which isn't a bad thing.

I might get beat up for this, but I think women have alot to do with it. As women became more prominent and had more rights, they expected their husbands to stay home (more). Not saying there is anything wrong there, but I just see it as part of the reason for less club membership.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:11 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
I might get beat up for this, but I think women have alot to do with it. As women became more prominent and had more rights, they expected their husbands to stay home (more). Not saying there is anything wrong there, but I just see it as part of the reason for less club membership.
Honestly, that's probably a part of it. These mens' clubs operated on the notion that these guys who were at work all day while their housewives were at home alone, would then head out in the evening to the Elks or the Moose or the Kiwanis or whatever, leaving their wives home alone again to clean up after dinner and put the kids to bed. In an egalitarian marriage, that's not going to fly, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:14 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
We have a lot of posts and social clubs in my area and the majority of them are really struggling. I go maybe twice a year for the cheap beer and to watch a sporting event, but they all allow smoking, which is a big turn off to a lot of younger non-smokers. The smoke can get overwhelming. So, until things change, I'll pretty much stay away.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Honestly, that's probably a part of it. These mens' clubs operated on the notion that these guys who were at work all day while their housewives were at home alone, would then head out in the evening to the Elks or the Moose or the Kiwanis or whatever, leaving their wives home alone again to clean up after dinner and put the kids to bed. In an egalitarian marriage, that's not going to fly, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
On the other hand, it's not necessarily a bad thing to have a men's clubhouse - as long as (like myself) the man is chipping in at home. My wife doesn't mind if I go around the corner to the 'men's' bar once a week to air out.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:22 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
On the other hand, it's not necessarily a bad thing to have a men's clubhouse - as long as (like myself) the man is chipping in at home. My wife doesn't mind if I go around the corner to the 'men's' bar once a week to air out.
Oh, absolutely. As long as everything's getting done at home and nobody feels abandoned or taken advantage of, however a couple wants to divide up their time is up to them. I'm imagining that's not the case for some of the guys propping up the bar at the VFW, though.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:26 AM

993 posts, read 766,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I think this is pretty accurate. And it's certainly decreased even more from the Baby Boomers. It's sad really. If anything it would be a good way to meet people.
I'm 58 and I do know a few peers who are involved in fraternal organizations. My husband is 65, just retired from the insurance business. It was a different work world years ago.

In the late 70s and 80s he was strongly encouraged to network and join a country club and he was given an allowance to do so. I can remember having dinner at the boss's house often and being scrutinized. Fortunately his boss was a peach as was his wife. Ha! When we married I was given a set of golf clubs and lessons with the pro by my in laws....I never did learn to play.

But playing 18 holes is a serious time commitment when both parents work full time. As is working with fraternal,organizations. It's time away from the family and the kids. Time that's precious. And I think that's what's changed....both parents working full time and at the same time more organized sports and activities for children.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Oh, absolutely. As long as everything's getting done at home and nobody feels abandoned or taken advantage of, however a couple wants to divide up their time is up to them. I'm imagining that's not the case for some of the guys propping up the bar at the VFW, though.
True, true. My next door neighbor is in the bar immediately after work most days and leaves his wife (who's a great girl AND works full time) to tend to the house and kids. If anything, he makes me look better. lol
Sometimes the really handsome guys just aren't worth it I imagine (not that I'm chopped liver) ...

Old 02-11-2017, 10:45 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post

Women wanted their husbands to stay home more, because the women got rights? That makes no sense. First of all, those lodges were their own social circles and organized a lot of social events that included the wives. Secondly, as more options opened up for women, the women were getting out and being active more, so the process was the opposite of wanting to stay home. For example: Rotary. Women succeeded in getting Rotary to open up to businesswomen. So women had civic activity and charitable org. meetings to attend, too. This meant they were much less inclined to insist their hubbies stay home every night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships