Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 07:45 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

I live in a small city of about 50,000. The Fraternal Order of Moose used to run a large gym and swimming pool complex for the public. Over time, their footprint has substantially declined - they've gone from a prominent position to basically a drinking establishment on the fringe of downtown. Same with the Eagles - they're hanging on, but barely. American Legion is also suffering from declining membership in the area.

Why are these organizations having so much trouble? Are they in decline where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 07:59 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
It's just the changing of society. The WWII generation, and earlier, were "joiners". Masons, Moose, Elks, Kiwanis, etc. We Baby Boomers were less so.

The following generations appear to be even less.

One of the reasons may be due to the transience of people today. When people pretty much worked at the same place their entire life it was easier to make the connections and join those various organizations.

Today, when the average tenure with an employer is under ten years and then you move on, and maybe move to another area, those connections either aren't very strong or they're not even being made.

Note to the Millennials: belonging to one of those organizations, as well as the local country club, was once considered almost required for managers and a good opportunity to network.

As for me, I wouldn't want to belong to any organization that would accept me as a member.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:06 AM

953 posts, read 843,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's just the changing of society. The WWII generation, and earlier, were "joiners". Masons, Moose, Elks, Kiwanis, etc. We Baby Boomers were less so.

As for me, I wouldn't want to belong to any organization that would accept me as a member.
Groucho Marx is in the building.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:07 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,918 times
I also think there are just so many other individualized options these days for activities and opportunities to socialize that are tailored to specific interests (dance, martial arts, sports, etc). tbh, I've never seen a Moose/Elk lodge or VFW that had any serious type of facility like you describe - I would go to a YMCA or fitness center for something like that. I guess I was never clear on what exactly lodges did besides congregate. Probably because it was pretty much entirely men, so that wouldn't be something on my possibilities radar anyway.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:29 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
they've gone from a prominent position to basically a drinking establishment
For as long as I can remember that's all they ever were. My father was a member and basically all is was is a place to go to, to BS and get hammered.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:52 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Note to the Millennials: belonging to one of those organizations, as well as the local country club, was once considered almost required for managers and a good opportunity to network.
That might be part of the downfall. The Old Boys' Network doesn't appeal to people who aren't old boys.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:58 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I also think there are just so many other individualized options these days for activities and opportunities to socialize that are tailored to specific interests (dance, martial arts, sports, etc). tbh, I've never seen a Moose/Elk lodge or VFW that had any serious type of facility like you describe - I would go to a YMCA or fitness center for something like that. I guess I was never clear on what exactly lodges did besides congregate. Probably because it was pretty much entirely men, so that wouldn't be something on my possibilities radar anyway.

It was definitely a different world than it is today. That said though, while the actual organization was just for men, most of them also had 'women's auxilliary' groups as well where the wives gathered and connected.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:59 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,677 times
They are still going strong in rural Indiana.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:02 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
It was definitely a different world than it is today. That said though, while the actual organization was just for men, most of them also had 'women's auxilliary' groups as well where the wives gathered and connected.
I'm not sure what some of the other lodges had, but the Masons had DeMolay for the boys and Job's Daughters for the girls. When those organizations became less attractive to teenagers, there went the next generation of Masons.....

Old 02-10-2017, 09:09 AM

242 posts, read 300,679 times
I think these organizations are losing appeal. They have a small presence where I live but for the most part I think the younger generations don't care much for them. As IndyDancer points out there are many clubs, sports leagues, etc that cater to specific interests. For example, I am part of a badminton league and a ski club because those two involve activities that I really enjoy doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships