Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 04:59 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Growing up in a tiny house there were times where the family would be at each other's throats (in part due to the small house IMHO) This is not to sauna had abusive parents or anything like that, but there were times where there was tension. The thought of any sort of tension at home makes me shudder. Home needs to be peace and quiet.
Exactly, our homes are our sanctuaries! Yanno, people call a bad marriage a waste of time, but from my bad choices I learned a lot....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 07:44 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
No kidding. I'm 26 and still live at home (though I'm planning to get a job soon and save up to move out), but I hate it when I want to go someplace and my Mom tells me sometimes where I'm going and why (and even says I shouldn't cause it's dark and late out). I'm going out and that place because I want to, lol.

It's amazing when my parents and even my brother are out for the weekend and I have the house to myself. Literally have the freedom to do whatever, lol.
yup! it's not even about going somewhere you're not supposed to be going lol. it's just the simple fact of going somewhere and not having to answer to anybody.

i hope you get to experience more freedom soon !

Old 02-17-2017, 01:03 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
It took some adjusting to at first, but I'm getting WAY too comfortable with it, haha!

Old 02-17-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
yup! it's not even about going somewhere you're not supposed to be going lol. it's just the simple fact of going somewhere and not having to answer to anybody.

i hope you get to experience more freedom soon !
this is the part I like best, not to mention, pleasing oneself....being oneself, and doing everything according to my schedule and not someone else's.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:29 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
It seems like it would get lonely and boring too me. IDK. I'm not a person that needs a lot of people around me, but a SO would be nice. To live alone would feel shallow to me, but to each their own.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It seems like it would get lonely and boring too me. IDK. I'm not a person that needs a lot of people around me, but a SO would be nice. To live alone would feel shallow to me, but to each their own.
it is at first, b/c we as a society are so conditioned to believe that we need to be a couple to be successful, however, once you start doing things for yourself, and keeping yourself busy, it's honestly awesome...however, as you say, it's not for everyone and I think women like being alone more then men, could be wrong, but women are the caretakers....for the most part, and after a lifetime of kids and a husband and family, career, the thought of living alone is honestly appealing after a while. LIke I said, I do know many women who have lost their husbands who say, they would never marry again and like me, they refuse to date.

In my experience, going out to dinner with a man doesn't usually work, they always want more, and more....and I don't have that to give any longer, be it physical and/or mental...plus I hate talking on the phone.

I work full time, and to be honest, that is enough socialization for me. On weekends I meet people for dinner, but that's plenty and too much, sometimes I back out and need alone time.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:58 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
I love living alone!! Can't imagine being under the roof, sharing a space with another person. Honestly that would be a yuuuugeee adjustment for me. But, while I never feel lonely I do get bored sometimes. When that happens, I got out, have my fun and come back home. Life's great! I think single and living alone gets a bad rap.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:06 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
it is at first, b/c we as a society are so conditioned to believe that we need to be a couple to be successful, however, once you start doing things for yourself, and keeping yourself busy, it's honestly awesome...however, as you say, it's not for everyone and I think women like being alone more then men, could be wrong, but women are the caretakers....for the most part, and after a lifetime of kids and a husband and family, career, the thought of living alone is honestly appealing after a while. LIke I said, I do know many women who have lost their husbands who say, they would never marry again and like me, they refuse to date.

In my experience, going out to dinner with a man doesn't usually work, they always want more, and more....and I don't have that to give any longer, be it physical and/or mental...plus I hate talking on the phone.

I work full time, and to be honest, that is enough socialization for me. On weekends I meet people for dinner, but that's plenty and too much, sometimes I back out and need alone time.
My time here on CD and anecdotally it would seem like you're right about men wanting to be a couple more so than women. Not sure why that is. In terms of "caretaking" my SO, in my opinion isn't with me in any kind of care taker role, but we are still sorta young-ish, well, middle aged, not necessarily in the care taking years.

Nurse or a purse. Saying like that must come from somewhere.

I tend to be a lone wolf/introvert type, so having a SO is great with me. I don't have many friends and I don't want many friends. They tend to be too much work for me, so I get your wanting alone time. If I need alone time from the SO I can go out run errands take walks things like that.

We can't be around each other 24/7, I understand needing a little alone time, I get that.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:22 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
My time here on CD and anecdotally it would seem like you're right about men wanting to be a couple more so than women. Not sure why that is. In terms of "caretaking" my SO, in my opinion isn't with me in any kind of care taker role, but we are still sorta young-ish, well, middle aged, not necessarily in the care taking years.

I tend to be a lone wolf/introvert type, so having a SO is great with me. I don't have many friends and I don't want many friends. They tend to be too much work for me, so I get your wanting alone time. If I need alone time from the SO I can go out run errands take walks things like that.

We can't be around each other 24/7, I understand needing a little alone time, I get that.
^^This right here. Entirely too much work. It would be exhausting.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Chowhound My time here on CD and anecdotally it would seem like you're right about men wanting to be a couple more so than women. Not sure why that is. In terms of "caretaking" my SO, in my opinion isn't with me in any kind of care taker role, but we are still sorta young-ish, well, middle aged, not necessarily in the care taking years.
I think I know what it's about....(men afraid to be alone) Thank God it's changing, but in my day growing up and raising my own son, and even being married, I saw mother's do something unforgivable with their sons, and that is, they did everything for them. You see, back when my mom was growing up with us kids, the woman did all the chores, so obviously if you didn't live on a farm, the kids were not required to do housework. And some mom's loved to pamper their sons, to the point of doing everything for them. What she didn't realize was, that she was creating a monster for someone someday who would marry her son. And some mom's made their kids, they're whole life...that's all they had. So, a lot of men thought when they married, their wives would be as their mothers, and perhaps that is why, men back in the day, could not assume as much responsibility....? What do you think? I think it all starts while we are growing up?

Quote:
Yupper, some mother's of daughters do the same thing, but in a different way. Some mother's treat their daughters like dolls. They love to buy them the best clothes and dress them up to show them off. Why, because in their own minds, clothes and dressing up in the finest, shows they are successful...to them, when really, all it's doing is draining the bank account, and they to are creating a monster for the man who will someday marry their daughters.

Quote:
Yes, I agree totally, the older I grow, the less friends I need.

Quote:
Boy, at times I felt like I was suffocating....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships