Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:46 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,651,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
I apologize if this is not the right forum to say this, but it is something that I and I am sure many others have noticed. Namely women that say "I don't really have a lot of girlfriends because I don't get along with other women" "I am not like other girls (as if other girls are somehow "bad")" "I have lots more guy friends than girlfriends" etc. etc. ad nauseum.

It's really sad. For one most do it just to look "cool" for guys, then internalize it and blow off other women even though they could be great friends! It's fine to have guys as friends, but as a general rule it works better if the friends women have are more women than men, to me if I meet a woman that says any of the above or has more guy friends I don't trust her.

Not to get political, but we live in an age where women more than ever should be helping and supporting each other, we should always support other women and come together in sisterhood. Yet it's really sad how so many feel it's a kind of badge of honor to say "I'm not like other girls/women". Anyone else feel the same?
I've always had more male friends than female friends. I find many women to be extremely catty and stuck in high school. I had no interest in this drama even in high school. Many guys enjoyed having me as a friend because I was safe....I wasn't trying to get into their pants, I was a great tutor in college, I was always happy to provide someone a ride when they were drinking, etc. I was also more interested in doing things like going hiking, kayaking, camping, getting dirty, than going shopping, getting my hair done, getting fake nails, etc. I've always been very tomboyish. It's actually one of the reasons my husband was attracted to me when we first met. He liked that I wasn't high maintenance. My idea of maintenance is taking a shower daily and getting my hair cut every 3-6 months.

Even now one of my neighbors has a crush on me because I know how to use a chainsaw and I'm not afraid to use it. He wants to send his wife over so I can give her lessons, but she's too busy with her spa treatments. She might break a nail or hair might end up out of place.

It's fine that you don't trust me! I really don't care. Should I mention that many of my male friends are also gay? I stood up for many of them throughout high school and college when people were giving them crap. A few years ago, one of the guys reached out to me via Facebook. I haven't seen or talked to him in years. I always wondered what happened to him....I really hope he didn't kill himself because of the years of torture he suffered. He moved to NYC and got involved in theater. He's now a big deal in hair and make up on Broadway. He thanked for me the years of sticking up for him and protecting him. he was several years younger than me....he was in my brother's class. I really didn't care if he was gay. I wasn't interested in dating or sleeping with him. He was a nice kid who didn't deserve to be crapped on by those nasty high school girls. I was very happy to hear from him and so happy to see that he made a great life for himself. I really was worried he wasn't here any longer or he went down a bad road because of the abuse he suffered.....all at the hands of girls!

Old 02-15-2017, 06:47 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,257,177 times
I have not noticed anything like that, not sure where OP got such impression. Maybe it's just specific age group?

Personally, I'm not a "girly girl" but I don't chose friends based on gender and have few close friends because I'm an introvert and have no need for the whole "tribe".

But I don't need to be friends with other women to support them. I do get along better with men and enjoy their uncomplicated emotional world. But this does not make me "anti-woman".

What I am very much against is propagation of all those stupid stereotypes, just like many mentioned in this thread. If you get some impressions from a group of women you happen to be in does not mean it applies to the whole gender.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
I found this to be a problem also. Not all women are this way though. But in an office environment it sure makes it tough to go to work every day.
I've definitely experienced this in more than one office. I had one woman try to make my life a living hell. The more I ignored her, the worse she got. It was like dealing with some high school twit.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:27 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,632,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
I have not noticed anything like that, not sure where OP got such impression. Maybe it's just specific age group?

Personally, I'm not a "girly girl" but I don't chose friends based on gender and have few close friends because I'm an introvert and have no need for the whole "tribe".

But I don't need to be friends with other women to support them. I do get along better with men and enjoy their uncomplicated emotional world. But this does not make me "anti-woman".

What I am very much against is propagation of all those stupid stereotypes, just like many mentioned in this thread. If you get some impressions from a group of women you happen to be in does not mean it applies to the whole gender.
This right here. I keep seeing this. What are we supposedly supporting each other for and sticking together about? I think this makes us sound ridiculous. Again I'm one with just the few friends, so what am I missing? Is it what I think it is and these big groups of women think men are really bad and need support because of it? I don't like the whole man bashing thing and there are women that do this, but we aren't all like that just like we aren't all catty and backstabbing.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
This right here. I keep seeing this. What are we supposedly supporting each other for and sticking together about? I think this makes us sound ridiculous. Again I'm one with just the few friends, so what am I missing? Is it what I think it is and these big groups of women think men are really bad and need support because of it? I don't like the whole man bashing thing and there are women that do this, but we aren't all like that just like we aren't all catty and backstabbing.
Having boobs?

Having a vagina?

I have no idea what we're supposed to be supporting! Maybe a number of women need a good bra? If you figure it out, let me know!

Old 02-15-2017, 08:07 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,257,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Having boobs?

Having a vagina?

I have no idea what we're supposed to be supporting! Maybe a number of women need a good bra? If you figure it out, let me know!
Haha, i kinda get what op is saying. Women bash each other a lot. I dont know why but i think this is why a lot of women choose to not have as many women friends. But again, you can not have a lot of women friends but at the same time respect other women. I dont think the two go hand in hand.

There are probably a lot women who have tons of other female friends yet talk so much crap behind their backs. Doesnt make u a better person automatically just bc you connect woth members of your own gender.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:13 PM

11,813 posts, read 12,059,287 times
Quote:
I've always had more male friends than female friends. I find many women to be wextremely catty and stuck in high school. I had no interest in this drama even in high school. Many guys enjoyed having me as a friend because I was safe....I wasn't trying to get into their pants, I was a great tutor in college, I was always happy to provide someone a ride when they were drinking, etc. I was also more interested in doing things like going hiking, kayaking, camping, getting dirty, than going shopping, getting my hair done, getting fake nails, etc. I've always been very tomboyish. It's actually one of the reasons my husband was attracted to me when we first met. He liked that I wasn't high maintenance. My idea of maintenance is taking a shower daily and getting my hair cut every 3-6 months.

Even now one of my neighbors has a crush on me because I know how to use a chainsaw and I'm not afraid to use it. He wants to send his wife over so I can give her lessons, but she's too busy with her spa treatments. She might break a nail or hair might end up out of place.
You rail against being catty but what do you call this? ^^^^^^

There's absolutely no reason to put down another woman for enjoying the spa and not knowing how to operate a chainsaw, but you did it anyway. Seems you are what you disdain in others.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:04 PM

153 posts, read 115,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
What a load of garbage. If anything, it is the opposite. From my experience women that need lots of women friends are insecure and need lots of cheerleaders to make themselves feel better but will go against other women that aren't like them or won't play their games. I have few female friends and lots of guy friends and it is a LOT easier with men. Women keep other women down and it's a sad fact.
What a load of crap! I am sure the reason you may not have lots of "women friends" is, like most like you is because of you! I'd be willing to bet you probably have slept with, or at least thought about sleeping with a lot of these "guy friends". Women that have lots of guy friends can't be trusted since in my experience they care more about attention from men than actually trying to get along with their own gender. There is a reason we are called the fairer sex.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:10 PM

153 posts, read 115,154 times
Quote:
Having boobs?

Having a vagina?

How about sticking together in regards to helping and supporting other women in areas where women are sorely needed such as business, politics, academia etc. We still live in a male-dominated system of patriarchy, we need to come together and support each other instead of tearing each other down. Think about it: When women get into it with each other whether it be physically or mentally it can be over something serious yet men just laugh it off as "cat fights". All the while we have women for all intents and purposes siding with the enemy not trying to be viewed as one of "those women". If women could compete on a far more fair and equal basis you wouldn't see women putting each other down like we do.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:51 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,781,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
You rail against being catty but what do you call this? ^^^^^^

There's absolutely no reason to put down another woman for enjoying the spa and not knowing how to operate a chainsaw, but you did it anyway. Seems you are what you disdain in others.
I'm afraid that "enjoying spa treatments" is not a skill.

Using a chainsaw is.

So yeah, I appreciate and enjoy the company of people who occupy their time with actual skills, not lounging about at a spa. And I DO disdain that class of women who spend most of their time on makeup and clothes. Not because they are female, but because they are shallow, dull, uninteresting people.

If you don't like it you can lump it. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships