Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 02:13 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times

Advertisements

I think it may have more to do with the age group and maturity level. When I was in my 20's I had more male friends then female friends. I was a Tom Boy and would rather have been out riding motorcycles, shooting guns, and fishing then be with a bunch of silly girls. They were boring to me and they were jealous whenever their boyfriends payed more attention to me then them. Now I have a mix of both male and female friends. I do have more female friends now that I'm older then I did when I was younger. One of my fishing buddies from my 20's was married when we would go fishing together, and, without his wife. She was just fine with us fishing together and we are all still lifelong friends. Women like her were few and far between though. She was not the norm.

One size does not fit all, and I guess you could call me untrustworthy if you want Staphangel, but my friends husband was safer with me then any other woman. I'm the one that dragged his sorry butt out of a bar when I caught him being too friendly with another woman. Sorry but to this day I still find my male friends to be more fun and interesting. Most of my female friends can't ride a mile on a bike let alone keep up with me on a 12 mile ride. Once a Tom Boy, always a Tom Boy.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:52 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
Anyone else feel the same?
No, I do not feel the same.

Besides---I have too much going on in my own life to be concerned who other people are friends with or not friends with.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:55 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
I apologize if this is not the right forum to say this, but it is something that I and I am sure many others have noticed. Namely women that say "I don't really have a lot of girlfriends because I don't get along with other women" "I am not like other girls (as if other girls are somehow "bad")" "I have lots more guy friends than girlfriends" etc. etc. ad nauseum.

It's really sad. For one most do it just to look "cool" for guys, then internalize it and blow off other women even though they could be great friends! It's fine to have guys as friends, but as a general rule it works better if the friends women have are more women than men, to me if I meet a woman that says any of the above or has more guy friends I don't trust her.

Not to get political, but we live in an age where women more than ever should be helping and supporting each other, we should always support other women and come together in sisterhood. Yet it's really sad how so many feel it's a kind of badge of honor to say "I'm not like other girls/women". Anyone else feel the same?
A+

Old 02-17-2017, 03:50 PM

997 posts, read 938,043 times
I think you are talking about immature women or girls who are flirty and like to have attention from men. They may not get along with other girls or young women because they are man-stealing attention hogs.

That is not the same thing as a person who gets along better with the opposite sex because of shared interests and rapport.

A person who lacks social skills might have a problem with 'getting along' in general. Male attention is not the same thing as friendship. That could be the confusion.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:09 PM

417 posts, read 345,924 times
I don't pick my friends because of what's between their legs. I pick my friends because of common intrests and life goals. I probably had a fifty fifty split of male and female friends, and will likely be friends with anyone as long as they're a kind person. I think that should be all that matters in friend groups.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:44 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't choose my friends by gender.
That's the "age" I live in.
The only time I consider the gender of someone with whom I might be friendly, is if I have something in mind, other than being just friends.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:05 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
I'm in a predominately male career. I'm female. The only drama comes from * drum roll * females. One in particular. Oh and the gay guy with the overinflated sense of importance.

I'm thankful for the internet because it's enabled me to meet other horse women around the country. We have a fairly close-knit group. I've met so many in person from California to Washington to Massachusetts to Georgia and tons of states in between.

I agree with the Texas gal. Too much superficial bs with so many women.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:09 AM

I disagree with the age group comment. Some of the worst have been older women. Jealousy, bitterness... I'm at an age where the youngsters don't have to worry about my competition for the stud muffins.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:18 PM

153 posts, read 115,000 times
It's great seeing that I am getting some support. The sad thing is the women here saying "I just have more guy friends" in reality have their own internalized misogyny that makes them not be good friends with other women. We need to come together and combat the patriarchy which causes just this sort of thing. Instead of siding with your sisters women think it's safer and easier to side with the enemy, they are no better than collaborators in any other war.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:26 PM

"the enemy?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.