Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 02:00 AM

513 posts, read 736,733 times

Advertisements

Quote: But I've encountered a few nosy people who just seemed really desperate to find out how much money I earn or my husband earns. I do transcription work out of my home and it's supplemental income, so I had someone ask me recently what I earn doing this and I told her, I'd rather not say. End quote.

I've done transcription work too, and have had people ask what I made and wanted do it, also, usually for the wrong reasons, in my opinion--usually a mother with young children just wanting to stay home (takes a lot of discipline and cooperation from older children or a spouse) and make some money. It's still a JOB--an employer (even if you are self-employed) expects you to work a certain number of hours and produce actual work!

The most ridiculous thing anyone asked me was "Can you make money doing that?" Yeeesss, I'm supporting myself with no other income, but that was as far as I would humor them and would try to change the subject, often with limited success. I've also started saying, "I'd rather not say," about many nosy inquiries, including what I paid for various items, because people nowadays think no question is off limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 04:21 AM

4,849 posts, read 2,668,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
The reason I'm not posting this on the work board is because I am asking this question from a social perspective. In social situations, when has it ever been okay to ask someone how much money they make? I was always taught that was impolite to ask, especially if you don't know someone very well. I've been appalled at meeting people for the first time, and they ask how much I make or my husband makes at his job. Why do people do this? If they are curious about the salary for a certain occupation, they could get a general idea by doing a google search for salaries in their local area for that particular occupation.

simply reply "not enough" and leave it at that..

Old 02-19-2017, 05:29 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
Being in gov't, people get by with "what are you? GS what?" The pay rate of a position is fairly common knowledge and the dollar amount is published online. The level within that grade is the unknown but it still gets asked anyway.

It would be different if someone were shopping for a career and asking a general baseline starting salary.

Boorish behavior. Has no place in polite society. (Polite Society is almost an oxymoron these days)

Old 02-19-2017, 10:48 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think it's rude. I have a nosy friend who kept trying to find out lol. She would say, "Oh, I saw a job advertised that looked like something you might be interested in, but I don't know if it's good for you because I don't know how much money you make." Then she would stare at me expectantly. I would just change the subject.

She tells me what her son and all her friends make, with commentary on how she thinks they should be spending it or not spending it. I make more than any of them. No way will I EVER tell her!
I know people like this, and I do consider it rude. Some people are obsessed with other's money. They love to point out how much this one or that one makes, making anyone who earns less feel inadequate. That is not considerate of other people's feelings. Must we all get into a conversation of earnings contest, all the way up to William Buffett? It projects envy, in my opinion.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:15 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,676,857 times
Not now but in high school I knew this guy who was obsessed with money and status. He once asked why my mother was driving an older car and if we were low class people. Really even as teenagers, it stunned me.

It was very rude and nosy.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:37 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,607 times
Asking someone how much money they make is the height of rudeness.

If anyone asked me for my salary I would tell them it was none of their business - and, depending on my mood, I may even tell them to go screw themselves.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:49 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,365,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
The reason I'm not posting this on the work board is because I am asking this question from a social perspective. In social situations, when has it ever been okay to ask someone how much money they make?
Never.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:46 PM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Is this a thing to discuss in Europe? Because I know a lot of people in the UK and not one of them discusses salary.
My friend's husband is a Brit who worked in my department when he came to NYC some years ago. He told her that he was shocked when he first met Americans because they asked such personal questions as "What do you do for a living" and "What town do you live in", things we don't think are really personal questions but in other cultures might be used to make judgments.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Not now but in high school I knew this guy who was obsessed with money and status. He once asked why my mother was driving an older car and if we were low class people. Really even as teenagers, it stunned me.

It was very rude and nosy.
I have friends who encountered a similar situation. They came from a town that when we were kids had been a small town with a hickish feel. There were horse farms and lots of blue collar workers. Over a short number of years, it turned around and became an affluent NYC bedroom community. The father in this family had a landscaping business. They moved to my town, which was more low-key, when the kids were in school and started getting "Your father cuts our lawn" sneers from the wealthier kids.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-19-2017 at 07:35 PM..

Old 02-19-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I know people like this, and I do consider it rude. Some people are obsessed with other's money. They love to point out how much this one or that one makes, making anyone who earns less feel inadequate. That is not considerate of other people's feelings. Must we all get into a conversation of earnings contest, all the way up to Warren Buffett? It projects envy, in my opinion.
This woman couldn't make me feel inadequate, but I just know she talks too much about everyone to everyone, plus she makes judgments like "why can't Susan and her husband just buy a new car when I KNOW she inherited stocks from her father..." Because it's none of your business, that's why.

She would have a heart attack if she knew what I still have to pay off for my daughter's college, too.
People make judgments about that sort of thing, as well. None.Of.Your.Business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships