Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 05:42 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,176 times

Advertisements

Great posts everyone !

It's shocking how rude some people in sales can be, I always thought it was important to build a client base, but many do the opposite and push their potential client away.

I can remember having Tupperware parties in the 70s & 80s and they were fun, prices were reasonable and products everyone could use. The hostess received a few nice gifts from Tupperware and it worked out great. There wasn't this high pressure selling going on.

The Avon lady also had products I liked and would give free samples. A lot of times people would have to track her down to purchase something. She would drop off a small catalog and would rec'd an order.

Years ago, before the internet, I sold prints and nice knick-knack items, similar to Tupperware parties, however, I also sold to business offices. The products were nice quality and reasonably priced. Many times when I dropped off a catalog, I would rec'd a call for an order. Then when I would show up at the office to take the order there were several other employees that also placed orders. The prints were popular but also sold a lot of small clocks, paperweights & bookends.

I miss the time of the Tupperware parties and the Avon Lady stopping by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Oh yess.....how much *fun* it is.....its like a fun club I could even belong to. What a deal they would offer me a place in their fun club selling crap. And if I don't want to become a "consultant"...well I could host a party. Hummm...nah, I don't have friends. Then they want you to order something LOL

I will say I went to a couple parties friends of mine got roped into doing and I had fun and did buy a couple things. But this was for long term friends only (who seemed to have a hard time saying no)
Anytime I hear the word "fun" with selling anything I walk away, even the shopping shows overuse "fun" when describing a purse, jacket, etc. It's annoying, a little phoney and somewhat childish to hear an adult describe so many products as "fun"

I don't really see products as "fun" ! My version of fun is being in the front row of an awesome concert !

Last edited by 70's Music Girl; 02-18-2017 at 06:22 PM..

Old 02-18-2017, 05:57 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post

I can remember having Tupperware parties in the 70s & 80s and they were fun, prices were reasonable and products everyone could use. The hostess received a few nice gifts from Tupperware and it worked out great. There wasn't this high pressure selling going on.

The Avon lady also had products I liked and would give free samples. A lot of times people would have to track her down to purchase something. She would drop off a small catalog and would rec'd an order.
I still like to order from Avon.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I started talking with a nice young couple at the dog park on one of the trails. They tried to get me interested in their scheme for "financial independence" with phrases like "No one should have to work until they're old" and stuff like that. I told them how I love my coworkers, get to work from home and have carved out a very unique career path.

They try to get people to talk about their job dissatisfaction, then that's their way to "hook" people. Truth is many people are unhappy or unsuccessful at their jobs, so that is their recruiting base. They also (wrongly) assume that stay-at-home mothers are easy targets for MLMs, which often is not the case. They seem to assume that a SAHM doesn't have much money if she just lives on her husband's income - but this is just an assumption and it's often wrong.

I've heard a few people confess that unless someone can "do" something for them, financially or help them in some way, or buy over-price crap from them, then they don't want to waste time on that person. They aren't looking for simple friendship. That is really sad.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I still like to order from Avon.
Are Avon ladies still around ? I liked the small solid perfumes that were in a compact.

What Avon products do you like ?

Old 02-18-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
They try to get people to talk about their job dissatisfaction, then that's their way to "hook" people. Truth is many people are unhappy or unsuccessful at their jobs, so that is their recruiting base. They also (wrongly) assume that stay-at-home mothers are easy targets for MLMs, which often is not the case. They seem to assume that a SAHM doesn't have much money if she just lives on her husband's income - but this is just an assumption and it's often wrong.

I've heard a few people confess that unless someone can "do" something for them, financially or help them in some way, or buy over-price crap from them, then they don't want to waste time on that person. They aren't looking for simple friendship. That is really sad.
The Stay at Home Mom is the most important job in the world ! Yes it is a huge assumption for someone to think it's not fulfilling ?!
(Most people that assume do so because they are self projecting and these people do make idiots out of themselves by doing so.)

A simple friendship is a great gift

Old 02-18-2017, 06:12 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,520,659 times
many years ago i sold MK & this is one of their (along with other MLMs) techniques that i find very offensive. the leaders tell the newbies to talk to anyone & everyone while you're at the grocery/dept store, at the bank, etc. personally? that's MY time. when i go out, leave me alone. i also don't like being hassled by girlscouts or boyscouts when i leave the store. if i don't like it, why in the world would i do that to someone else?

Old 02-18-2017, 06:36 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,312 times
What about those vultures at the shopping malls who work in the center kiosks selling all kinds of overpriced crap? If you walk past them, they go, Excuse me can I ask you something? And if you even flinch they will relentlessly hound you until you walk over to their stupid kiosk so they can give you their spiel and sell you their crap. I've stopped walking through the first floor of the mall for that very reason. I will only walk around the second floor and go downstairs very rarely for any of my shopping.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
What about those vultures at the shopping malls who work in the center kiosks selling all kinds of overpriced crap? If you walk past them, they go, Excuse me can I ask you something? And if you even flinch they will relentlessly hound you until you walk over to their stupid kiosk so they can give you their spiel and sell you their crap. I've stopped walking through the first floor of the mall for that very reason. I will only walk around the second floor and go downstairs very rarely for any of my shopping.
This is part of the reason so many department stores are dying out. Many people shop online now. They don't want to deal with this hassle. Still, it doesn't bother me as much as someone who pretends to be my friend for a while, just to recruit me into some business. To me, that's a deception issue.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:03 AM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
I said, see the difference, much nicer flow and interaction. I approached you and was honest and respectful.
Had you approached me with an approach along the lines of this I may have been receptive and possibly bought something at a later date.
Guess I'll be the voice of dissent and say this low key method is not used much any more, maybe in higher end products still, but everybody from banks to retail stores has long been trending to a much more hard sell approach.
This method may not have worked on you but it works well on a lot of people because they enjoy feeling important or special in some way. The girl might need to hone her skills at flattering people but she has the right basic idea.
Customer surveys I've read that generally have the highest scores are usually accompanied by comments about how the customer was made to feel important, or like they were the only customer in the store, with praise for how much time an employee spent on them, and how friendly they were. Not prices, or goods, or efficiency.
If you want to make most people feel good about what you're selling, stroke their egos, just be subtle about it, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships