Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 09:26 AM

983 posts, read 1,055,374 times

Advertisements

Have you all seen this? Pink Truth – Facts, opinions, and the real story behind Mary Kay Cosmetics. It's specifically the "back story" behind Mary Kay, but I think much of what they say probably applies to other MLM deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 09:36 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

1. I do believe that MK is largely responsible for her using this "sales technique." I have a friend - well, an acquaintance because I'm too scared of her with her MK to get close enough to her to call her a friend - who is actually pretty successful with MK, and she STILL uses this technique and teaches it to her recruits. Most of my MK products (I hardly have any left, thank goodness) are from running into her somewhere and getting cornered. It's not that I dislike MK products, some of which are actually pretty nice - but I just can hardly stand their program. .
Many MK salespeople don't even try to sell the cosmetics, they just try to recruit. They earn more from recruiting than from selling a tube of mascara here and there. One of their recruiting tactics is to tell women to join the business, by putting the money on a credit card and not tell their husband about it. They tell them "It's easier to beg forgiveness, than ask permission". Then they encourage them to keep purchasing more and more inventory on credit cards. This is why you see so many MK products being dumped onto ebay; it's leftover inventory they couldn't sell, so now they are selling it at a loss. The women who are "successful" in the business often have tons of cc debt.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:34 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
^^^It was a small little gift store, they don't sell makeup there.

The young girl that randomly approached me with this big song & dance was a customer shopping in the same store.

Yes she was soliciting.
Thanks, that's what I thought.

Than you stop her right in her tracks by telling her soliciting isn't legal. If she persists you tell the owner/employee.

Doesn't matter that this store doesn't sell make up, she is bothering customers.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:36 PM

284 posts, read 234,594 times
I have had something very similar happen to me at Target. I was in the cosmetics aisle and a woman approached me telling me she could tell I had very good taste in make-up and jewelry. Hilarious because I wear very little of either, most of my jewelry is of the $10 variety. Anyway, after the awkward "compliments" she hands me her card, yep, she was selling jewelry and wanted me to host a "party". I LOVE throwing real parties for friends and family, so I get slightly offended that they use the word party to describe holding you hostage for a few hours while trying to convince you that you can't possibly live without that overpriced pizza cutter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships