Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 12:20 PM

6,514 posts, read 8,394,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Why does this fallacious association come across so often ?
It is the quiet part. If the subject in question were not well dressed we'd find some other pejorative term to describe them. Since they are we think they're staring down their nose at us. Plus, people are attracted (because they are well dressed) so it may feel like rejection if they're not too enthusiastic about talking to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 12:28 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,328,288 times
Guess I'm arrogant. Before I retired I was exceptionally well dressed and could be very quiet
because my profession required both. On the other hand, it also required that I be gregarious at times. People's perceptions of me would have been colored by the "role" I had to play. Around the office I was always professional but also quite friendly and easy to talk to.

Preconceived notions often prove false.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:10 PM

4,842 posts, read 3,608,891 times
Well, I'm well dressed when I go out, but I have a tendency to slob out at home. Cargo shorts, and tee shirt from husband, and flip flops. Ugg slippers in winter.

No.One.Cares.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,946,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's definitely not ageist. I've seen young women, even teens, with RBF. To be honest, I think men can have RBF too, but it would probably go by a different name. Resting *ick Face, perhaps?

The simplest definition of RBF is exactly what it says, a face that when at rest, still looks *itchy. Perhaps the term isn't the kindest, but it doesn't change the fact that the resting facial expression is off-putting.
Describing someone's face as a "*itch face" is subjective, at best, and implies that it is not a normal expression.

I simply hate that term. Why is a solemn face a "*itch face?" Who gets to say a face is that way? We are not obligated to smile at you! Or anyone. There is no social law that says I have to smile at you when I give my order for fast food, or when I check out at the grocery store, or when I walk down the street.

I do believe it is somewhat ageist. Younger people seem to dislike more solemn older people. And of course it is generally sexist as well. More men tell women to smile that women tell men, that's for sure.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:16 PM

16,344 posts, read 12,314,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Describing someone's face as a "*itch face" is subjective, at best, and implies that it is not a normal expression.

I simply hate that term. Why is a solemn face a "*itch face?" Who gets to say a face is that way? We are not obligated to smile at you! Or anyone. There is no social law that says I have to smile at you when I give my order for fast food, or when I check out at the grocery store, or when I walk down the street.

I do believe it is somewhat ageist. Younger people seem to dislike more solemn older people. And of course it is generally sexist as well. More men tell women to smile that women tell men, that's for sure.
It's not just a solemn face, or a lack of a smile. It's a resting face that still has a meanness to it. Someone can not smile and that's not the same as having RBF.

And no, it's not ageist. Plenty of teens and 20-somethings have RBF and even take a bit of pride in having RBF. It makes them feel badazz, I guess.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:37 AM

15,932 posts, read 12,190,637 times
I'm probably seen as creepy if not gay, lol.. I'm the quiet man who sit's by himself in a plant full of really extroverted people who can find things to talk about nonstop all day long and pack our small break room full during day shift, which is one reason I like night shift.

I'm attracted to nerdy, quiet girls thus the really outgoing women at work, many of them also easy, don't really do anything for me. Unlike many of my co-workers I'm not attracted towards what my co-workers would deem "luts" .. fill in the blank. I was told in the past people thought I was gay and there are other co-workers, the shy ones that don't go talking about sex incessantly, that were also be rumored to be gay lol. This is how normal people (sensors) think.

Nonetheless not even the quiet introvert girls want men like me.. they all want the super outgoing men.. which leaves a lot of us men in society frustrated, so I've stopped even caring about finding anyone to a degree and focused on my hobbies and personal development for it's own sake. Plus what I just wrote is a self limiting belief and one thing I'm in the process of doing is getting rid of self limiting beliefs... the dating sites partly perpetuate this particular belief and I really need to ditch them.. dating sites are brutal to anyone but the most attractive subset of men and the only sane women I've met on them so far were ones that didn't post pictures and were skeptical of the whole process.

I tend to actually be attracted towards what you would deem "RBF" as they tend to also be quiet ones. Like attracts like I guess. lol The trouble is that they are taken, like clockwork, every time I meet one. Quiet girls are in high demand by a large subpool of men for marriage.

Last edited by sholomar; 02-23-2017 at 04:46 AM..

Old 02-23-2017, 08:37 AM

676 posts, read 525,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Yep. My husband will comment on how cranky a woman looks, but not on an equally cranky looking man. And this from a man who married a cranky looking woman.

It's socialization. I say something about it every once in awhile, but usually I just deal. Can't change the world in a day, but I'll be damned if i'm going down without a fight.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:55 PM

1,619 posts, read 1,090,961 times
I look mean and I'm quiet so people think I'm stuck up. Oh, well.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:46 AM

6,602 posts, read 4,819,316 times
Melania Trump. Female stiff upper lip thing, seems to come from European aristocracy, possibly in part as a way for a woman to demonstrate she's self-controlled and off-limits.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:03 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,620,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I wouldn't care.

If dressing nicely and keeping to myself makes me stuck up, oh well. I wouldn't want to be around people who think like that anyway.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships