Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 06:54 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Ree View Post
I run most days and sometimes in the dark during the short winter season. I tend to be quite fearful but am trying to overcome that. I do take precautions. I wear reflective clothing, have mace strapped to one wrist and a horn to the other. One is a good weapon, the other attracts attention. I use trails whenever possible and run closely to other people whenever possible. I'm aware of my surroundings. If I must run in the road, I run facing traffic and only on the shoulder of the road. I prefer to run on dirt anyway, less impact on the joints.
With so many people driving and playing with their phones today, there is no freakin way I'd jog in the dark, unless there were a pavement....but Good God, I'm constantly told that my insurance keeps going up b/c there are so so many accidents involving distracted drivers.....

So please be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 11:54 PM

581 posts, read 456,448 times
Hell no. People drive like idiots where I live. I'd end up as road pizza.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:17 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Do you jog in the dark on roads?
Not only no, but HELLS NO!

I used to have to walk along a dark strip to my house when I got off the bus, and that strip had no shoulder on the road (still doesn't), so it wasn't safe in a few ways. But one evening a driver pulled over to offer me a ride and I declined, but he proceeded on very slowly and it made me nervous. I watched him up ahead turn around to head back my way. I approached a house and nonchalantly headed towards the house to make it look like I'd arrived home. He then picked up a little speed and kept going. If he tried to find me since, I wasn't there! I hated that walk home and did something different after that.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:18 AM

605 posts, read 491,411 times
Probably around 750 times in the past 10 years. Of all the times I've gone, I can only think of one close call--when I was running on a busy two-lane road, approaching a car stopped for a left-hand turn, and a truck veered into the shoulder to pass said car. I was vigilant enough to pause and allow the truck enough room, although the driver of the truck was displeased enough with my mere presence to blow exhaust in my face from some customized exhaust pipe (I believe this is what the rednecks call 'rolling coal'). F*ck him. Anyway, I do tend to go at very late hours when the roads are nearly empty, thus minimizing my exposure to humans and maximizing my exposure to deer. I live in a semi-rural section of an inner-ring suburb of the city mentioned in my location.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:42 AM

605 posts, read 491,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
no thank you....people take things way to personally today, a nice gesture might be mistaken....

I recently got a mouthful from a man that I tried to warn and no more....

but yeah, I do worry about people getting hit....

This street is not well lit...and there is a sidewalk but she runs in the street? Makes no sense....

well it does, maybe the sidewalk is uneven, but even so, it's dangerous....

Like I said before, even with safety lights, if there is a large truck in front of you, you won't see her.
His idea was better and more likely to be appreciated than 'giving a warning'.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
His idea was better and more likely to be appreciated than 'giving a warning'.
yeah, well, basically, most people don't care....I used to run and work out 7 days a week. I started this thread as a warning, b/c I care about people...and all I get are negative comments.....and smart remarks....

When a person is backing up out of a parking space, there is a point, even if you look, you don't see people if they are walking behind you.

People need to put the GD phones away and pay attention....

Years ago, when we were in a shopping center, and a car was backing up, we stopped, if we were walking or driving...b/c they can't always see

You want to run at night, go ahead, you want to drive with a cell phone in your hand, go ahead...you want to walk behind cars that are backing up, I don't really care any more....

People are ugly in this day and age, simply ugly, and think rules and others don't apply to them...it's all about the individualist...who cares about anyone else.

A man, a toe truck driver was just killed this past week, by a distracted driver....so that distracted driver affected so many other lives in a very negative way, and that driver will now have to live what that the rest of his/her days. He/she took away a life, a father, brother, son, husband.

Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-30-2018 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: rude comment

Old 01-30-2018, 08:41 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
I'm not a jogger, but I used to be a very avid walker, always shooting for those 10,000 steps (or more) a day. I used to walk in the dark quite a bit. Every day for awhile.

First of all, I walked against traffic, thus if a car was coming, it's headlights would see me, and I would see it. That gave me plenty of time to get up on the sidewalk. Second, I always wore like a safety worker vest, with a reflective surface.

I didn't wear ear buds though. It's really IS too easy for someone to sneak up on you if you're wearing ear buds.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:16 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post

First of all, I walked against traffic, thus if a car was coming, it's headlights would see me, and I would see it.
It just amazes me how many walkers and runners do NOT do this. And the law is only to their advantage.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
It just amazes me how many walkers and runners do NOT do this. And the law is only to their advantage.
As an ex runner, it amazes me, how at night, you don't see these runners until your on top of them....unless they are wearing lights of some kind, and I don't ever use my phone while driving.

I mean, I don't care, do what ever you want (well I do care, but) it's just not a safe thing to do.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:31 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post

I agree...a lot of people don't. But I think in some cases, it's not the serious walkers who are doing this. It's more like people who are walking home from a friend's, or walking up to the corner store...something like that. And kids. Cause...kids are kids and dumb. lol

It actually gives me some peace of mind to walk against the traffic. Knowing we all see each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships