Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 07:24 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,186 times

Advertisements

I wear a vest made of flashing lights and it is quite visible. And I run against traffic. Recently when we had considerable snowfall I didn't run in the dark for a week bcs I felt the snow piled at intersections was dangerous. But I live to run so I always try to get my runs in.
A sedentary lifestyle is dangerous, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 08:45 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I asked about daughters b/c I'm a woman, and b/c I see this woman running every day...
I'm sorry you took this whole thing wrong....but it wasn't meant to be as you took it.

NO ONE is living in fear btw!!!!!!!!!.
Look at your initial handful of posts on this topic and see how many times you say 'fear' or 'afraid' or 'scared.'

I think one of the issues with these sorts of posts is that some people think they're coming from an indisputably rational and unemotional standpoint.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:48 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
My 19 year old sister would jog in the dark and it seriously made me worry about her safety because there are dangerous people out there.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:49 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Look at your initial handful of posts on this topic and see how many times you say 'fear' or 'afraid' or 'scared.'

I think one of the issues with these sorts of posts is that some people think they're coming from an indisputably rational and unemotional standpoint.
didn't you ever at any time in your life, see something that perhaps might have made you fear for that person?

Or say to yourself, Gosh, I hope she doesn't get hit, and then you pass her and it's forgotten.

Yes, I was scared for her, I saw something that might or might not happen.

It's something I wouldn't do...but to each his own,

It's a topic....something to discuss....?????

Old 02-24-2017, 09:02 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
I don't run, but I do walk in the dark. If I didn't, my poor dog would never get out in the winter.

We also used to hike in the dark, when we lived on the west coast. My friend and I would put a blinky on the dogs so we could keep track of them, and off we went. I loved it. Being out the in the dark is a different use of the senses, and peaceful as heck. It love cycling in the dark as well for that reason, especially when it's super hot in the summer.

I've had people tell me it's too dangerous, but so is life in general. I'll take my risks and enjoy it.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:06 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
didn't you ever at any time in your life, see something that perhaps might have made you fear for that person?

Or say to yourself, Gosh, I hope she doesn't get hit, and then you pass her and it's forgotten.

Yes, I was scared for her, I saw something that might or might not happen.

It's something I wouldn't do...but to each his own,

It's a topic....something to discuss....?????
Well sure.

And it IS being discussed. Perhaps not on the terms you feel are appropriate but it is. Several have shared their experiences jogging, or not, in the dark and the precautions they take, or not.

Clearly, by posting here, you've shown that you haven't forgotten your experience passing a jogger in the dark, and that things like this are a source of worry and fear for you. So it's only natural for some of the replies to be about the bigger picture of how one chooses to navigate life in general.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Well sure.

And it IS being discussed. Perhaps not on the terms you feel are appropriate but it is. Several have shared their experiences jogging, or not, in the dark and the precautions they take, or not.

Clearly, by posting here, you've shown that you haven't forgotten your experience passing a jogger in the dark, and that things like this are a source of worry and fear for you. So it's only natural for some of the replies to be about the bigger picture of how one chooses to navigate life in general.
well, maybe so, but, that isn't the case here.

Lets move on please.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I don't run, but I do walk in the dark. If I didn't, my poor dog would never get out in the winter.

We also used to hike in the dark, when we lived on the west coast. My friend and I would put a blinky on the dogs so we could keep track of them, and off we went. I loved it. Being out the in the dark is a different use of the senses, and peaceful as heck. It love cycling in the dark as well for that reason, especially when it's super hot in the summer.

I've had people tell me it's too dangerous, but so is life in general. I'll take my risks and enjoy it.
When I walked and jogged, I don't believe I did so in the dark, but did have to walk my dog in the dark, although it wasn't on a road, and people also said the same thing, or asked me, if I was afraid doing so. I have always been an early morning person, and like others have said here, love the sounds and peace and quiet of the darkness...while everyone else is in their homes....and in the winter months, it always seems like a tad warm at 4 in the morning.

And yes, your right, never thought of it that way but it is a different use of the senses....

thanks!

Old 02-24-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
My 19 year old sister would jog in the dark and it seriously made me worry about her safety because there are dangerous people out there.
there are...yes, I guess it depends on where you live....but I bet a lot of people (joggers) carry pepper spray? I know I used to, even when I walked my dog...cuz there are always other dogs that come running after you.

Did your sister every have any problems?

Old 02-24-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
I wear a vest made of flashing lights and it is quite visible. And I run against traffic. Recently when we had considerable snowfall I didn't run in the dark for a week bcs I felt the snow piled at intersections was dangerous. But I live to run so I always try to get my runs in.
A sedentary lifestyle is dangerous, too!
well please be careful, I ran every day, and ended up getting two total knee replacements...and I now have arthritis in every joint, but I really do miss running...loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships