Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 01:40 PM

965 posts, read 938,193 times

Advertisements

If they are drinkers and you become friends they will razz you for not bringing them wine it will be a good story. I will hope for that for you.

Due to food allergies, and gluten I can't do baked goods anymore so I have to thank people for the gifts, and just be ok with throwing them away (which still kills me). It was better at least when I had chickens and could give it to them...

When it is something non perishable I can always give it away, and know that someone appreciated it. Still... I know people who will throw out anything not store bought from "strangers". I rarely drink anymore but always keep something to serve, or to take to dinner somewhere.

Neighbors who garden are great, we always end up sharing produce (which was a great way yo get yo know each other that time of year), and I used to share eggs. One neighbor told me no thanks to the eggs, she preferred store-bought. Different strokes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 01:55 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
If they are drinkers and you become friends they will razz you for not bringing them wine it will be a good story. I will hope for that for you.

Due to food allergies, and gluten I can't do baked goods anymore so I have to thank people for the gifts, and just be ok with throwing them away (which still kills me). It was better at least when I had chickens and could give it to them...

When it is something non perishable I can always give it away, and know that someone appreciated it. Still... I know people who will throw out anything not store bought from "strangers". I rarely drink anymore but always keep something to serve, or to take to dinner somewhere.

Neighbors who garden are great, we always end up sharing produce (which was a great way yo get yo know each other that time of year), and I used to share eggs. One neighbor told me no thanks to the eggs, she preferred store-bought. Different strokes!

I'll know if they garden once the Spring rolls around. That's a good way to become to close. I usually plant lots of different tomatoes and basil and other herbs. Once they settle in, I'll invite them over and some of the other neighbors. Then we'll know if we're going to be drinking buddies LOL

I'd love farm-fresh eggs!

Old 02-22-2017, 02:00 PM

714 posts, read 747,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
A few days after I moved into my house, my neighbors welcomed us with a bottle of champagne and introduced themselves. We thought this was such a nice gesture and we were genuinely surprised. They invited us over the first Christmas we were there, along with a few other neighbors so we got to meet other families. This was 8 years ago and we've been close ever since.

Sadly, these same wonderful people are now moving and a new family is moving in this week. I would like to welcome them, as my neighbors did for me. My question is this: would you give a bottle of champagne or maybe a bottle of wine? I obviously have no idea if they would like that but I guess it's the gesture, right? Just like I appreciated the gesture from my neighbor.

Would a sparkling cider be good too? Those are pretty inexpensive though so maybe that and a small fruit basket?

Has anyone ever done this? If so, what did you welcome your new neighbors with? Or conversely, did neighbors welcome you and if so, what did they bring?

Looking forward to hearing ideas and stories
Seems like you're thinking too much on this.

Best moving in gift I got from a neighbor was a big plate of delicious cookies.

I loved them and I'm sure those living with me would have too, if they were able to get their hands on any of them.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:02 PM

714 posts, read 747,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I welcome them by driving into my gated driveway and staying behind my walls. I don't know the neighbors and don't want to. If I need something I'll call the HOA. If they cause trouble I'll call the police. Welcome to the neighborhood.
you forgot the part where you go write irrelevant posts on CD!

Old 02-22-2017, 02:28 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
maybe because i am a New Yorker, my thinking is a bit off, however, i would not like it if I moved into a new house and neighbors came and rang my bell to bring me something. I really dont feel comfortable letting strangers into my home, especially if I just moved in.

I rather meet neighbors while outside, be it walking down the block, getting in or out of a car, something along those likes, but NOT ringing my bell bringing me a pie.

I know it sounds rude, but I wouldnt like it, and I would not impose on someone else that was the new neighbor either.

Living in an apartment building, I met all my neighbors from walking in and out of the building, as I live in a very pedestrian friendly neighborhood....

To me, you welcome new neighbors when you see them outside, you can go over and introduce yourself, but I dont think going on thier property and ringing thier bell is a good idea. I dont like it.
Wow, you read my mind. And that's despite me being extroverted. I, too, prefer to meet my new neighbors on public territory, rather at my front door. Like in the condominium lobby, in the building garage, while getting mail, at the residents' social, on the complex's walking path, etc. If they met me there, and then prearranged a visit to drop off a pie, sure! But if they stopped by unannounced, I wouldn't like it, either. The only exceptions would be a medical or an infrastructure emergency on their part.

Plus, anything given to you sets up an obligation to return the favor. And I prefer to keep the relationship with my neighbors warm but not too close, and cultivate close friendships elsewhere. I don't want to feel like I'm living in a small town.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
When we moved in last summer neighbor's brought champagne, wine, bourbon, cookies, a cheese plate and a pizza gift card. Different neighbors with each one, obviously. We loved the gestures and live in a very tight knit community. It was a great way to meet people and I usually do wine and a plate of homemade cookies when anyone new moves in. The bourbon was a bit odd but my husband was thrilled lol.

FYI make sure you know if any gift is a sign of being a swinger. Apparently lasagna and pineapple are in our 'hood which we only found out about from a bar tender. I guess it has led to more than one awkward encounter lol.
I had no idea about gifts being signs of swingers! LOL

Old 02-22-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
maybe because i am a New Yorker, my thinking is a bit off, however, i would not like it if I moved into a new house and neighbors came and rang my bell to bring me something. I really dont feel comfortable letting strangers into my home, especially if I just moved in.

I rather meet neighbors while outside, be it walking down the block, getting in or out of a car, something along those likes, but NOT ringing my bell bringing me a pie.

I know it sounds rude, but I wouldnt like it, and I would not impose on someone else that was the new neighbor either.

Living in an apartment building, I met all my neighbors from walking in and out of the building, as I live in a very pedestrian friendly neighborhood....

To me, you welcome new neighbors when you see them outside, you can go over and introduce yourself, but I dont think going on thier property and ringing thier bell is a good idea. I dont like it.
I lived in Queens my entire life. Maybe Queens and Brooklyn are different <shrug>. When my parents bought their house, the neighbors stopped by to say hi. Not a big deal. My parents thought it was nice.

When I got married, we moved into an apartment building. Out of 36 apartments (just on our side), maybe 2-3 families were friendly.

When I bought my house on LI, I couldn't believe how friendly and welcoming people were.

To each their own

Old 02-22-2017, 02:52 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
When I first moved into my current house, the next door couple came over, introduced themselves, gave us a banana bread, and a bundle of take-out menus with post-it notes stuck to them saying things like "their garlic bread has the most garlic" and "fastest pizza delivery in town" etc.

I thought that was a unique and wonderful welcome, even though we don't get take out much.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
When I first moved into my current house, the next door couple came over, introduced themselves, gave us a banana bread, and a bundle of take-out menus with post-it notes stuck to them saying things like "their garlic bread has the most garlic" and "fastest pizza delivery in town" etc.

I thought that was a unique and wonderful welcome, even though we don't get take out much.
That's a really good idea! Even though you don't get take out much, at least you have menus and some tips for when you do Thank you!

Old 02-22-2017, 03:51 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Honestly, I've found that it's better to be a bit guarded about new neighbors until you've had a chance to observe and get to know them. You can always warm up to them. If you become too friendly in the beginning then you might have trouble putting distance between yourselves later.

With our newest neighbors, I've already had to have a stern chat about making too much noise on Sunday with their damn lawnmower, edger, and leaf blower. I've also sort of gone off on other neighbors to great effect. One was trying to cheat us when a tree on the property line fell, and the other just acted like he could drive onto our property any time he wanted.

Now everyone is extra careful because I'm crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships