Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 05:44 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,640,635 times

Advertisements

Love the ignore feature of CD.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:17 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,241,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The thing that still surprises me after all these years of being on here is how so many people are so ugly and mean spirited. I mean there's tons of nice people, but there are lots and lots of people who are just crappy and can't wait to be ugly to others. More so than you'd think and frankly I find it to be sad as hell.

There are those people that will find fault and argue just to argue, no other reason. You can post a nice sweet pic of a little kitten and someone somehow with find something ugly and nasty to say about it.

CD has actually done more harm to me in my opinion than good. I wonder why I'm here still at times......
Please don't harp on the ugly and mean spirited posts, instead, let and allow the nice posts of support to guide you.
I strongly believe that those who are mean, and the ones who take your posts as a personal attack against their character when in fact, you don't even know them, which is silly, isn't it.

another reason is they are mean people, all the time, and would be ugly to anyone, so...just put them on your ignore list and move on....instead of allowing them to win.

Yes, it's easy to be mean then it is to be nice and patient, kind and regard everyone as you would want to be regarded.

However, people are not the same, we're all different....so....with that in mind, just take a deep breath and move on.

Hugs

Old 02-28-2017, 10:18 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,048,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The thing that still surprises me after all these years of being on here is how so many people are so ugly and mean spirited. I mean there's tons of nice people, but there are lots and lots of people who are just crappy and can't wait to be ugly to others. More so than you'd think and frankly I find it to be sad as hell.

There are those people that will find fault and argue just to argue, no other reason. You can post a nice sweet pic of a little kitten and someone somehow with find something ugly and nasty to say about it.

CD has actually done more harm to me in my opinion than good. I wonder why I'm here still at times......
I agree with the bolded. I started out here in the 'single issue' areas like House, real Estate, Writing, Travel, etc., and later gravitated to this one and a couple others. Why? I dunno. I like talking about the human condition I guess, and hearing many points of view that my IRL friends may not be willing to share.

But man...I should really spend more time elsewhere.

A few things pop to mind.

I do think there are a good number of posters here who get their general worldview by clicking on places like Yahoo News and Buzzfeed et al. Notice I said 'worldview' and not 'news' or 'facts.' I make that distinction because I firmly believe that repeated exposure to those sorts of stories and the ways they are presented absolutely encourage a certain leeriness and distrust in general, and a low-level undercurrent of worry. (Or sometimes, on the flip side, a detached pink cloud inspirational poster way of looking at the world). In my experience, it's really hard to discuss things with these sorts.

I also avoid discussing things (sometimes) with posters who spend most of their time in the Politics forum, or a small handful of others. (Admittedly: I should probably spend less time in THIS forum ) Yes, I check posters' histories a lot.

I also think twice about responding to a poster whose rep points are fewer than their # of posts.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:25 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,300,147 times
What does it mean to put someone on the ignore list? How does it work?

Old 03-01-2017, 05:14 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,241,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Go Into Settings, on the left hand side there is a list, go down the list and you will see, Ignore List or edit Ignore List, not sure, click on that, and type the name of the person you want to ignore. You will no longer see their posts. you will see on any thread that your posting on, their names and that they've posted, however, you will not see "WHAT" they posted. It is a nice tool. You see, there are some people, no matter how many times you try and explain, they find things in your posts that are in fact not there, to argue with you and tear you down for your beliefs. Why do they do that? Because something that you wrote, raised a flag in them and they not only dislike you, but, they take what you've written very personal. And they don't even know you or you know them. Those are the people who will never let you alone, they are right and they will try very hard, to push your buttons, to get to you, to get you to loose it and attack them, to that the thread is shut down. Or they are simply argumentative and won't budge, regardless....so they see things in your words, that you've never meant to say and accuse you of being this horrible person.

So.....

there are also people who come into your threads and leave a message of gloom and doom, they will say things like,
Well, you must live with great fear, or try to make you sound like your afraid to go out of the house.
No, people who post threads, post them for different reasons, some for opinions, some for conversational pieces, me, I really like to post threads to learn why people do things, and consider the age who are responding...and like to know their reasons, in that, maybe I'll learn something.

But to come into a thread and attack others is so silly, honestly don't know what they get out of it....

They actually force you to be defensive, and put them on the ignore list???? Participating doesn't mean to attack others b/c they don't think and feel like you do.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 03-01-2017 at 05:40 AM..

Old 03-01-2017, 07:34 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,894,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Once you place a poster on your ignore list, all their posts will contain a notice: "This post is hidden because X is on your ignore list." However, if someone else quotes that "hidden" post, then you will see it. If you change your mind, it is easy to remove someone from the list. You can do that either by going to "edit ignore list" under your settings or by clicking on "remove X from your ignore list" which appears whenever a post is hidden.

In addition, I believe that people on your ignore list are blocked from sending you direct messages.

I have never been able to keep anyone on my ignore list for very long because I always get curious what they are saying despite their being irritating.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:47 PM

Thanks to you both.

That was my next question - whether quoted, ignored posts displayed.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:25 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,364,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I have learned to be very careful about what I post when asking a question, and also not include too much information that can be snatched up, twisted around and blasted back at me with no purpose other than to be mean and hurtful. There are so many people on CD that are genuine and really try to help that it is worth it to post questions when you need some new opinions. It's a shame there are a few that seem to be on here only to attack and try to make themselves feel superior to everyone else.
^^^^^^^I agree. I've found that many posters replying to threads seem to attack the OP just for the fun of it, in smart aleck or nasty ways. I have vowed to not start threads anymore, especially after the moderator allowed the mean or snarky replies to remain and deleted my replies to back to them.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:21 AM

Those who think they can hide behind the anonymity of the Internet should remember that all it takes is a miffed poster who may know (or discover) and reveal the offender's actual name, address or phone number to out them and all bets are off.

Imagine - 30,000 posts, many of which are hatefully-directed vitriol, all identified to a real person, permanently etched into the Internet, with no way to practically undo them.

Watch what you say on the Internet. It sticks to YOU forever.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:59 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,073,238 times
I don't really post threads. If I see a thread topic that interests me, I will read all the replies first. If people are being aggressive and extra hostile, I typically won't even post in it. I just don't want involved in that mess, so I stay out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.