Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 03:48 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
If I meet someone these days who after awhile you find out is an energy vampire, I don't get chummy with them. I don't care what they look like.

I recently distanced myself who was always negative, on every subject, always the victim. It's draining.
I was just out of college at the time. It was a fantastic career opportunity. I couldn't do it now.

I have been distancing myself from emotional vampires too. It is not easy, but I think it has to be done for my own peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 05:34 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
If they were my friend, then I would enjoy their company. If they're not my friend, I would be using them for shows and I wouldn't feel right about it.
This is very superficial, shallow and ... putting looks over feelings. Not good.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:46 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
If this story is true, I'm guessing this guy has excess tickets and no one to go with him.
So yeah, I'd go. Just make it clear it is a "friend" thing from the get-go. I've "gone out" with guys I wasn't physically attracted to, just to see if there was something else there.

Two of them are still friends 15 years later.....

Old 03-01-2017, 05:47 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Agree, but what I don't do is spend anymore time with someone I would consider "toxic"(and people who are mean and treat people poorly are toxic), than I have to. And that would only be in a situation where you had to put up with them. As in work or you're related to them.
Not even then!

Old 03-01-2017, 08:24 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freak7 View Post
My friend and I are having a bet and I'm curious to hear your answers.

Let's say you have an extremely unattractive friend who is always offering free tickets to shows. While this person doesn't smell, he has bright red skin, pock-marks, is 15 years older, overweight and spits on you when he talks. However, he's nice, helpful, lonely and loquacious. Seating is prime and he's always hooked-up for sold out shows. Could you comfortably go out with said person just as a friend?
If you're way hotter than him than everyone is going to know the deal anyway. It's not like anyone with a brain is going to think you're hanging out with an ugly guy unless you're getting something. Just don't take it too far bc he's eventually going to try to bone you and then get all wah wah you owe me drama.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:02 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
Quote:
My friend and I are having a bet and I'm curious to hear your answers.

Let's say you have an extremely unattractive friend who is always offering free tickets to shows. While this person doesn't smell, he has bright red skin, pock-marks, is 15 years older, overweight and spits on you when he talks. However, he's nice, helpful, lonely and loquacious. Seating is prime and he's always hooked-up for sold out shows. Could you comfortably go out with said person just as a friend?
For some reason, when I read, "Seating is prime" right after your description of your friend, I pictured you sitting on his lap. "Wow, this is prime seating. But please don't spit in my hair, if you can help it." You gotta admit... kind of a funny visual.

I would not have any problem hanging out with anyone if I genuinely liked them. Physical appearance has never factored into any of my friendships. If someone was stinky AND wouldn't let me sit on their lap, then no dice, man. But otherwise, yeah. All good.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:49 PM

7 posts, read 9,048 times
why waste time with someone who obviously embarrasses you? You have a right to your opinion. This person sounds like someone that a lot of people wouldn't feel comfortable being seen with.

If it were me I wouldn't...personally he sounds a whole lot like my husband. :} Seriously, it isn't fair to him. He obviously doesn't know that he may not be a perfect love match for someone but his heart seems to be in the right place. You didn't say that he forces his tongue down your throat or bombards you with calls. He obviously has class in women and entertainment.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:04 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
I would take my dog, if it made us both happy.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:14 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Now, now Gretchen...I never said it was me or what the bet was about. But I agree, that isn't a friendship. Point of the question was, could you be friends, talking on the phone, e-mailing, hanging out with said person?
I don't base my friends on how they look!

Old 03-02-2017, 07:57 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
How can you ask the question? I guess you know it is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships