Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 10:36 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,293,948 times

Advertisements

Darn. It all started out as a good friendship while she worked at the little store. She's 34 & I'm a 'gramma' type mom & we developed a friendship. She became surprisingly pregnant by a boyfriend & we all supported her.

Fast forward. The baby, who is a little doll, is now 2 months old. The mom, my friend, asked if she could help me with housekeeping as she knew I had problems due to my back injury.

Okay, I thought that would be a big help to me. The going rate here is $20/hr. Which I was more than willing to pay once or twice a week.

Well, now she has been wanting to come once a day & it is becoming too much. Yes, she has taken care of problems I can't but it's become too much & I feel like a money pit for her.

I think I've answered my own question as tomorrow I am going to have my car towed to get it fixed & I just won't be home. After that I will tell her I have no more money as I spent it on the car.

Any other advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 11:02 PM

1,265 posts, read 971,188 times
Just tell her you can't afford more than $40 a week. Either she'll only come 2 times a week or she'll come every day knowing she's only getting paid $40 a week.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:42 AM

36 posts, read 24,392 times
Hey'up Meo (I'm English,lol)

Reading between lines I see 2 situations.

Your friend has a new baby, and as you may well know babies are a bit expensive to look after, hence why she may have asked if she could help you one or two days a week with the housekeeping. Sounds like she's trying to make the extra ends meet.

You are obviously not a money pit for her and can't afford to pay her more than once or twice a week.

Hand McLovin gave you one option to consider, good advice by the way.

Another option would be, ask around your friends if they could do with a little extra help with the housekeeping for the same hourly rate. This way, your friend can earn the extra money she needs for the baby, you yourself don't become a money pit and, still get your housekeeping help once or twice a week, some of your friends get some help and, you get to keep your friendship solid.

Hope it was helpfull.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:07 AM

7,042 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Wonderful advice from both of you. Thank you.

David - this is such a small town that the services are either not needed or are done through an agency. So that is an issue.

Hand, I did tell her I couldn't afford more than 2 hours a week but she just comes over. I'm just going to have to put my foot down & say it is just a visit if she comes when it's not a help day.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:08 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand McLovin View Post
Just tell her you can't afford more than $40 a week. Either she'll only come 2 times a week or she'll come every day knowing she's only getting paid $40 a week.
I agree.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:16 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I'm just going to have to put my foot down & say it is just a visit if she comes when it's not a help day.
Yep.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:27 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Wonderful advice from both of you. Thank you.

David - this is such a small town that the services are either not needed or are done through an agency. So that is an issue.

Hand, I did tell her I couldn't afford more than 2 hours a week but she just comes over. I'm just going to have to put my foot down & say it is just a visit if she comes when it's not a help day.
Wow. Ignores you.

Thats BS. I would keep an eye on her closely at your home. Idk. For some reason, I feel like she has some agenda.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:16 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Wow. Ignores you.

Thats BS. I would keep an eye on her closely at your home. Idk. For some reason, I feel like she has some agenda.
I agree. I'm not so sure this girl is so much helpful as she is opportunistic.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:30 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
So when you tell her you can only afford 2 hours and she comes over more than that, are you paying her for the extra time? And if you are paying, is it because she's requesting to be paid, or because you feel guilty and feel like you should pay?

If you tell her you can only pay for 2 hours, and she comes over in excess of 2 hours, DON'T PAY HER MORE. If she continues to come over, it's out of the kindness of her heart.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:37 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Maybe I am naive, but does $20 an hour in a small town sound like a high price for cleaning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships