Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 02:33 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
From what I understand, it's a form of respect & professionalism amongst men.

A man should always assume a man and woman together are married or in relationship, so you talk to the man.

It's really no different than how a waiter or waitress approaches a "couple". A smart waitress will always get a better tip from a couple if she focuses more on the woman, and vice versa.

~ To avoid any and all potential drama or being accused of 'flirting' in front of one's spouse.

$$$ > your feelings.

Don't have guys around if you feel "ignored" or "some type of way" by people just trying to doing their jobs.
Yes, that's right, women should just forget about being respected and treated like a person rather than an appendage as long as there is a man around. Or even not around, because after all, it's not like I could make decisions about my own house or my own car since I'm not married, and they should just ask for "the man of the house" instead of talking to little old me, right?

Old 03-02-2017, 02:34 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
I went to buy a car battery, and chose the one I wanted. The male salesman put in a different one, saying it was better. Actually installed it. I said I did my comparisons and made my choice, please remove that and install the one I chose! He kept trying to argue I was thinking would you do this to a man?

Old 03-02-2017, 02:34 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Something strange happens with male service workers when i am accompanied by a male.
Its because lots of women come in with men to handle these negotiations.

Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to work through a sales process with a woman, only to have her call the husband/brother/dad? You're a freaking physical therapist (nurse/teacher/business owner) and you don't trust yourself to handle a car purchase. Nothing made me want to slam my head in the desk more.

That said, I would always make a point of asking a couple (any sort) who the car would be for, address everything to them. Because, it wasn't unheard of for a son or daughter to take his dad out to look for a new Avalon, and his son didn't want him doing anything stupid with his money either.

And, to be fair, if I saw a wedding ring on a dude and no wife, I knew there was another influencer that wasn't present, and there was a high chance of the deal having to be run by her.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:40 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,657 times
Quote:

A man should always assume a man and woman together are married or in relationship, so you talk to the man.
I've never heard of that. Of course, I'm not a man. But that is really dangerous & scary. 9 out of 10 times, if I'm in a restaurant with a man, I'm his boss or his co-worker. I can't imagine why a waiter would assume we were married or in a relationship. Making assumptions like that is a good way to lose your tip, see above story.

When DH & I hire contractors together, I'm the one who has done the most research. The contractor should always address both & answer questions specifically to the person who asked them, regardless of gender.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:44 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,988 times
You know why this happens.

As the very first reply told you--speak up, say something.

Not that anything'll change, but hey.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:44 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Its because lots of women come in with men to handle these negotiations.

Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to work through a sales process with a woman, only to have her call the husband/brother/dad? You're a freaking physical therapist (nurse/teacher/business owner) and you don't trust yourself to handle a car purchase. Nothing made me want to slam my head in the desk more.

That said, I would always make a point of asking a couple (any sort) who the car would be for, address everything to them. Because, it wasn't unheard of for a son or daughter to take his dad out to look for a new Avalon, and his son didn't want him doing anything stupid with his money either.

And, to be fair, if I saw a wedding ring on a dude and no wife, I knew there was another influencer that wasn't present, and there was a high chance of the deal having to be run by her.
Those are actually valid points. Though not gender specific, like you said in your last paragraph. In sales, you are taught that with couples, there are generally 2 influencers even though they're not necessarily both there. You actually try to get both involved!

Old 03-02-2017, 02:45 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech
" Why do you have to have a male with you when you go in the first place? They automatically assume that the male is in charge because naturally they know more than most chicks do about that kind of stuff.

So go alone."

"There's so much wrong with this post that I can't even. Plenty of men don't "naturally" know more than women about many things, and plenty of people like having some backup when they're contemplating a major purchase. It's bad news to just assume that women know less."

OP specifically stated car repair- not buying a new car so I don't see anything wrong with that response at all (except maybe the "in charge" part ......good luck with that.....) - I'm a woman and I was going to say the exact same thing. Why did you even bring the guy with you? You could have very well have told him to wait in the car and watch your purse. I guess I don't see the big deal- I've called numerous tradesmen off Angie's list or something similar and every one of them have addressed their conversations to both me and my husband. Never had an issue. Must be in the presentation.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:56 PM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes, that's right, women should just forget about being respected and treated like a person rather than an appendage as long as there is a man around. Or even not around, because after all, it's not like I could make decisions about my own house or my own car since I'm not married, and they should just ask for "the man of the house" instead of talking to little old me, right?

If you're a strong, independent woman who don't need no man, then don't bring one to tag along while you handle 'your' business.

If a worker wants to chat with my "friend", brother, dad or whoever ~ what the hell do I care? Just fix the dang thing and leave lol

Yall sure love to sweat the small stuff.. lol, smh

Old 03-02-2017, 03:04 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:

It's really no different than how a waiter or waitress approaches a "couple". A smart waitress will always get a better tip from a couple if she focuses more on the woman, and vice versa.

~ To avoid any and all potential drama or being accused of 'flirting' in front of one's spouse.

$$$ > your feelings.

Don't have guys around if you feel "ignored" or "some type of way" by people just trying to doing their jobs.
This is interesting. This actually makes some sense. At least it sheds some light on these incidents. Thx for contributing.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:06 PM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
I've never heard of that. Of course, I'm not a man. But that is really dangerous & scary. 9 out of 10 times, if I'm in a restaurant with a man, I'm his boss or his co-worker. I can't imagine why a waiter would assume we were married or in a relationship. Making assumptions like that is a good way to lose your tip, see above story.
You're assuming people on the clock actually have time to care about your male/female relationship dynamics - they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships