Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 05:51 PM

4 posts, read 11,187 times

Advertisements

Humor is subjective of course so I don't feel the need to tell people that I don't find them or their jokes funny. Plus, it's usually rude if there's the option to use avoid the person or attempt to tolerate them.

I've been in situations where someone I had to see often would constantly crack jokes that I don't find funny.

Like in a small class I once took. This guy would lob the most dry jokes at me and the other classmate despite us never laughing. He'd laugh pretty hard at his own jokes while we would stand there and stare. Maybe he was just saying them to us to make himself laugh which is fine since he's only annoying us, no harm done. I do fake laugh sometimes in other situations and I think the other guy did feign amusement at first but the jokes were too terrible. We were college students at the time, not ten year olds.

Now I have this coworker who I used to talk to at work. He started making weird, sarcastic jokes a year ago. They're a bit offputting depending who says them. Since he's old enough to be my dad, I find them weird. I wish it was one of the guys around my age, maybe then I would find it funny. At least he's not being serious. He'd crack the jokes practically every time we talked but I would never laugh. In fact there's a moment of silence at times before I would move on with the conversation. Sometimes I'd even cringe at him and it didn't seemed like he cared, he would have a smirk or blank stare; looking back, he might've thought I was doing it for comedic effect.

But anyway, It got pretty annoying so I stopped talking to him but remained civil. We had cool conversations but he's not one of my close friends at the office. Plus he's popular, always walking around the office socializing, not a big deal if one person stops being his buddy.

The other day, I was in the printer room with him and another coworker. He lightheartedly commented that I don't like him anymore to the other coworker when I came up in their conversation. I casually said that I don't hate him, but his jokes are weird.
He was stunned and then hurt after he asked me explain since he was wondering why I stopped talking to him. But if he was in a similar situation and told me, I would have recommended him to just stop talking to that person. I honestly thought my reactions to his jokes dropped enough hints, and I didn't want to drive it home.

How should I have handled the second situation? Really asking here. I don't feel like telling people they're not funny unless they're harassing someone. Which I don't think he was. I probably could've been more mature and said something. But there's tons of coworkers we both talk to so it didn't seem a big deal.

Any of you been stuck with people like this? Are you blunt towards them?

Last edited by Kabuki90; 03-05-2017 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 05:59 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,255,476 times
This story sounds familiar...

Old 03-06-2017, 06:42 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
If the jokes are not funny, they are just not funny. Don't fake laugh either.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:49 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,551 times
If the jokes are harmless I would laugh even though I might not find them funny. No reason to hurt their feelings over.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:06 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
If the jokes are harmless I would laugh even though I might not find them funny. No reason to hurt their feelings over.
Yeah true, but if you just keep fake laughing, the jokes will keep coming. Eventually he will get the message without her even saying a thing. If he wants to be a comedian, his skin can't be that thin.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:21 PM

431 posts, read 351,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki90 View Post
Humor is subjective of course so I don't feel the need to tell people that I don't find them or their jokes funny. Plus, it's usually rude if there's the option to use avoid the person or attempt to tolerate them.

I've been in situations where someone I had to see often would constantly crack jokes that I don't find funny.

Like in a small class I once took. This guy would lob the most dry jokes at me and the other classmate despite us never laughing. He'd laugh pretty hard at his own jokes while we would stand there and stare. Maybe he was just saying them to us to make himself laugh which is fine since he's only annoying us, no harm done. I do fake laugh sometimes in other situations and I think the other guy did feign amusement at first but the jokes were too terrible. We were college students at the time, not ten year olds.

Now I have this coworker who I used to talk to at work. He started making weird, sarcastic jokes a year ago. They're a bit offputting depending who says them. Since he's old enough to be my dad, I find them weird. I wish it was one of the guys around my age, maybe then I would find it funny. At least he's not being serious. He'd crack the jokes practically every time we talked but I would never laugh. In fact there's a moment of silence at times before I would move on with the conversation. Sometimes I'd even cringe at him and it didn't seemed like he cared, he would have a smirk or blank stare; looking back, he might've thought I was doing it for comedic effect.

But anyway, It got pretty annoying so I stopped talking to him but remained civil. We had cool conversations but he's not one of my close friends at the office. Plus he's popular, always walking around the office socializing, not a big deal if one person stops being his buddy.

The other day, I was in the printer room with him and another coworker. He lightheartedly commented that I don't like him anymore to the other coworker when I came up in their conversation. I casually said that I don't hate him, but his jokes are weird.
He was stunned and then hurt after he asked me explain since he was wondering why I stopped talking to him. But if he was in a similar situation and told me, I would have recommended him to just stop talking to that person. I honestly thought my reactions to his jokes dropped enough hints, and I didn't want to drive it home.

How should I have handled the second situation? Really asking here. I don't feel like telling people they're not funny unless they're harassing someone. Which I don't think he was. I probably could've been more mature and said something. But there's tons of coworkers we both talk to so it didn't seem a big deal.

Any of you been stuck with people like this? Are you blunt towards them?
This line above tells me that maybe it isn't really the jokes at all but instead you have a problem with an old guy hanging around with all you cool young people? Seriously, not talking to someone because you don't find their jokes funny seems to be a bit petty. Now if the jokes are offensive then I can understand but you saying they might be funny if told by someone your age then it's not the jokes themselves but it is who is telling them?

Old 03-09-2017, 02:22 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,372 times
I know all about this, but from the other side. My friends just ignore my jokes or pretend to laugh.

Last edited by Razza94; 03-09-2017 at 03:17 PM..

Old 03-09-2017, 02:53 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen963 View Post
This story sounds familiar...
Seriously. If people are going to make new accounts they should at least come up with new stories lol

Old 03-09-2017, 02:55 PM

75 posts, read 107,076 times
I find people who tell unfunny jokes to be funny.

Just appreciate the fact someone is ridiculous enough to be that unfunny and not realize it. Enjoy who they are instead of judging.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:00 PM

726 posts, read 1,228,673 times
I knew someone who used to say off colored jokes that weren't in the least funny, ( I think he must of made them up). Anyway after some very uncomfortable "times" I said, "I am walking away, because I can". And left the area. He never tried again....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships