Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 08:23 PM

586 posts, read 831,925 times

Advertisements

My mom pawned an item that my deceased dad left behind. Its a jewelery piece. She asked me if I wanted to buy it before she took it to the pawn but I didnt have money to spare at the time. She's out of the country now and now I do have the extra money and told her that I am interested in buying it from as a keepsake her if she gets it back. The thing is she lost the ticket (she's really forgetful) and told me that if I find a way to get it back myself, its mine. I called the pawnshop and told them about the situation and they said they can try to find it but its harder without the ticket and to call them back in 1-2 weeks because they have to look through their inventory...so my simple question is...

Should I call them next week to give them ample time (which would be 2 weeks) or call them tomorrow? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 11:09 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Either would be OK. If they haven't had time to look yet, they will tell you to call back. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:55 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
I would call them back exactly 1 week later. I wouldn't want my request to be forgotten.

Can you go to the pawn shop and see if you can locate it?

Old 03-08-2017, 01:03 PM

I just called her and she said that she's still looking and would call me back if/when she finds it. I am wondering if she ended up selling it off? She didnt give me a definite answer in the first place she just said "oh, since its been a few months, I dont know if its still around, and if it is its probably tucked somewhere because I get new items every day." So its pretty much a waiting game now. My dad used to love that necklace and I have fond memories of him wearing it, so keeping my fingers crossed she didnt sell it off. I've called her twice already and she sounded a bit annoyed like I was pestering her, she said she will call me back when she finds it, so I guess I will just wait.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:08 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,109 times
If it is a business that promised to do something like you describe I would start with the one week call back and I would not accept the 'will call you back IF I find it' thing if you care that much. I would first tell them you will call them back in another week. If that yields nothing and you feel as though you are being strung along, I would visit the shop and talk to them in person to put a bit of pressure on to be sure they actually did anything at all.

In this case, it may just be that you have lost the article for good unfortunately. However, I thought that pawn shops were supposed to have some kind of an 'inventory' system that would connect a description with an item number for instance? If they don't, it sounds like a shady place to me. If so, and they keep telling you that story, I would ask to 'help' them go through the book to save them some trouble. They may not let you but it may tell them you are serious and they may actually get their butts in gear to stop you being so nice and helpful.

It could be too that your mother is not telling you the truth about pawning the item or has told you the wrong place to go.

Good luck.

(p.s. if is a busy friend or something like that .. I would give them a lot more leeway on the time frame for a callback - just not the same situation so there are no real rules there. Assess the situation as it is each time and decide on that part. This is 'business' though .. so call away .. frequently if necessary until you are sure they have done all they could do. Just be polite and don't annoy them though because that may make them lie to you to get rid of you.)

Old 03-08-2017, 01:43 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,454,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
-Snip-
In this case, it may just be that you have lost the article for good unfortunately. However, I thought that pawn shops were supposed to have some kind of an 'inventory' system that would connect a description with an item number for instance? If they don't, it sounds like a shady place to me. If so, and they keep telling you that story, I would ask to 'help' them go through the book to save them some trouble. They may not let you but it may tell them you are serious and they may actually get their butts in gear to stop you being so nice and helpful.
-Snip-
Aery11, they did/do! His mother was given a pawn ticket when she pawned the item (that ticket ties the person who is pawning the item to the item itself) - she lost it. Without that, no pawn shop is going to be able to find it without a LOT of trouble, and if they're a big outfit with a lot of inventory, chances are slim they'd find it. I am totally surprised that this place is even offering to look!

Old 03-08-2017, 02:55 PM

Again ... Can you go in?

Old 03-08-2017, 09:27 PM

I came in last Sunday and there was no way she could find it on the spot for me. She said she would have to dig through every box. She said its best if i just give her time to find it. She does have some connection with my mom, my mom does business with her frequently by purchasing jewelry from her and selling stuff. My mom either buys or sell from her, never pawned before. This time she had to go out of the country on an emergency so was short on some cash. If i cant get through, i might wait until my mom gets back to sort this although that wont be for another month. Like someone mentioned, i would hate to annoy her and end up having her purposely try to get rid of me. We're the one at fault for not keeping the ticket.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:33 AM

I would have offered to do the digging. You know what the item looks like, so you would have a better chance at spotting it.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I would have offered to do the digging. You know what the item looks like, so you would have a better chance at spotting it.
So...I took your advice and ended up pissing her off (by her expression). I came by and asked her if I could help trying to find it and she said no because it is against protocol. They primarily operate as a jewelry shop selling gold and jewelry. They do pawning on the side. All of the pawned items are kept in the back. They rarely touch them unless people come to collect. Since they have their own inventory to sell, they dont end up selling the pawned items unless someone is specifically looking for the sort of item, so most of the time it just sits in the back collecting dust for at least a few months (in a box that is associated with the ticket number). She told me that if I had the ticket, it would only take her 5 min because she could look up my ticket number and know which box its in, in this case she has to manually dig through every box. I have no idea how many boxes she has, or if she's been looking that hard. Anyways, she told me no because all of the staff are working in the front so I wouldnt have no one to supervise me. So at this point I cant do anything really.

I just really wonder if pawnshops have a back up method of tracking people's items when they lose their tickets. I am pretty sure there must have been other people who have lost their tickets, how does that get dealt with? I will call back next week but gosh I wish she would either find it or just tell me the heart breaking news that its gone so that I could just move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships