Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 12:06 PM

16,412 posts, read 12,476,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
What military did you serve in?
The one that exists only in movies and TV.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 12:37 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,752,922 times
Quote:
Actually "Yes Sir" and "No Sir" and ONLY if you were speaking to an officer or superior officer.
Unless the officer was female.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
I think it is. You say "Sir" usually when talking to Authority; in Court, you're supposed to say "Your Honor," but I hear people say "Sir" too (assuming male judge.)

In the South, you're supposed to end every sentence with the word "Sir."

In the Military, you start and end each sentence with that word.

So, since the recipient is the one saying "Sir," is that not understood intimidation?
It's a minor bit of politeness, the way Hispanic language people use "senor," Germans use "herr," and the French use "monsieur."

Brits seem to raise an eyebrow at the use of "sir," but I figure that's because "sir" still has a big social status implication in the UK.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:45 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,878,348 times
Only by those with a chip on their shoulder.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:46 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,482,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Unless the officer was female.
Did you serve?

Old 03-08-2017, 12:56 PM

102,177 posts, read 107,735,907 times
OP, you seem to be confusing courtesy, and in some contexts--deference, to being intimidated. Why that would be, only you can say for sure. My attempts to guess would be that either you have an incorrect understanding of the word, "intimidation", or you have some psychological issue that causes you to frame interactions in adversarial terms.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Actually "Yes Sir" and "No Sir" and ONLY if you were speaking to an officer or superior officer.
Quote:
Did you serve?
I don't see how that relates to my post, but yes, yes I did.

And my last boss was a female major general.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:47 PM

10,500 posts, read 7,023,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
I think it is. You say "Sir" usually when talking to Authority; in Court, you're supposed to say "Your Honor," but I hear people say "Sir" too (assuming male judge.)

In the South, you're supposed to end every sentence with the word "Sir."

In the Military, you start and end each sentence with that word.

So, since the recipient is the one saying "Sir," is that not understood intimidation?
Oh, good God.

Sir is nothing more than a statement of polite respect, not subservience. If I am calling out to an adult male I don't know, I don't say, "Hey, you" or "Bub." I say, "Sir." And it doesn't matter if they are younger, older, worse dressed, better dressed, whatever.

I'm so tired of people trying to inject power dynamics into what are nothing more than simple courtesies. It makes me wonder how many trivial things affront you on a daily basis.

As far as the highlighted statement is concerned, I'm thinking you have never visited the South, getting all your information from a Dukes of Hazzard marathon on Nick at Nite.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:48 PM

52,161 posts, read 52,609,244 times
It's a sign of respect or it's a formal way to address a man who you do not know.

What is someone, say a clerk, are they supposed to address me if need be with "Hey bro/dude/buddy"

I was at the store recently and some bagboy kid, he was probably 19 or 20 he was bagging my groceries and when leaving I said "thank you" and this kid comes back at me with "no problem man"

I would have never addressed a man 25 yrs older than me who I didn't know and is also customer of the establishment that I work for with something like that. I'm not up in arms about it, I'm just sayin.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:26 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,482,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't see how that relates to my post, but yes, yes I did.

And my last boss was a female major general.
Because I did serve and I was told to use both regarding female officer at different times. Of course admittedly I was in a combat arm and we did not have many female officers around. But maybe my service does not count as much as yours?

And also my post was even in context to the thread because we were speaking of the use of the word SIR. But nice try trying to show me up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships