Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 694 times

Advertisements

Call me naive but I feel like here in American culture there is this strong narrative that college is supposed to be the end all be all of social life. You make a lot of new friends at university, form a lot of new social groups, do a lot of fun things with people around your age, and really form your social circles during that time.

After college, it seems like it is supposed to be lonely and all on you, more about you being alone as opposed to out with friends and having a fun time with people you have met. The media really seems to push this sort of a narrative.

So my question is, how common is it for people in their 20s out of college to make new friends, meet a lot of new people, and really form that sort of a social life with others in their shoes out of college but not married with kids?

How do these bonds commonly take place and form?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 08:15 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,551 times
Both of my kids did. Even though my dd still has her childhood friends but also her closest friends in college she has managed to make a group of friends wherever she lives.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:27 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
It's very common, OP. They make new friends by participating in activities and hobbies; the neighborhood soccer league or bowling league, volunteering for enviro orgs or political action groups, volunteering for the annual film festival or street fair, etc. etc.

Not so different from college, actually; a lot of students find college very alienating until the start joining clubs, volunteering for the theater department, hanging around the music school to organize a band, etc. Participating in groups of one sort or another is an automatic ice-breaker, and gets conversations going over mutual interests. That's all you need.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:46 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterlard View Post
Call me naive but I feel like here in American culture there is this strong narrative that college is supposed to be the end all be all of social life. You make a lot of new friends at university, form a lot of new social groups, do a lot of fun things with people around your age, and really form your social circles during that time.

After college, it seems like it is supposed to be lonely and all on you, more about you being alone as opposed to out with friends and having a fun time with people you have met. The media really seems to push this sort of a narrative.

So my question is, how common is it for people in their 20s out of college to make new friends, meet a lot of new people, and really form that sort of a social life with others in their shoes out of college but not married with kids?

For some people, friends they make during the school days are closer/deeper than the ones they encounter as adults.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:

Well I can barely remember my 20s at this point. I am in my late 30s, unmarried, no kids. I left college with a circle of local friends. While I must have made new friends in my 20s, I can't remember who, so I'll focus on my 30s.

And it is good to talk about my most recent new friends as I am going on trips with them this year or have already. They have all met my other friends and out with them too. Many of my other friends are college friends. Some of these people have also met my parents.

D - I met at work about 7 years ago, we stayed in touch.
M - I met via and online community, we met and got along great
K - met during at a meetup group
A1 - through a friend (that was a friend of another friend)
A2 - networking event, we had brunch a few weeks later and became friends
L - meetup activity. It was a large meet up (a few hundred people) I didn't know anyone and she looked friendly so I struck up a conversation.

I probably make a new friend every year.

1. Every outing is an opportunity to meet new people
2. Get involved and do stuff you are interested in. I met L because I went to something alone since I had no friends who wanted to go.
3. I find it easier to meet people if I am by myself or with another person who loves to meet new people. Find a social butterfly to be your wing person. Don't bring a shy person when you want to make new friends.
4. Take initiative, if you meet someone cool schedule a follow up not too long after. Let say you are at an event and you find out you both want to see the same movie - ask if they want to go with you next week.
5. Don't be too invested too early. I have met plenty of people that seem awesome that never make it out of acquaintance stage. It happens. Move on.

The easiest thing is to do stuff you like. The next best thing is to get involved with things that have events and mixers. My friend loves ballet. She got a membership at the ballet and joined the "young fans group." They go to shows together and have happy hours and other special events that revolve around the ballet. She goes and meets like minded people. This is how she met a lot of friends when moving to a new city.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:00 PM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,796 times
Both of my sons, now early 30's, have made friends wherever they've lived. They manage to meet people and make friends. One of them still sees lots of his college friends but many new friends too.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:37 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
I am no longer close with any childhood or college friends. I can count on one hand the number of true friends I have, and all of those friendships started after college, through work and volunteering.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:02 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:

I'm not quite sure I understand the second paragraph but I found it nearly impossible to meet people in my 20s out of college and it's not any easier in your 30s as everyone has kids and people with kids will not socialize with those that don't have them. I'm not sure what the answer is and why this is the case, but it has been my experience.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:11 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,456,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'm not quite sure I understand the second paragraph but I found it nearly impossible to meet people in my 20s out of college and it's not any easier in your 30s as everyone has kids and people with kids will not socialize with those that don't have them. I'm not sure what the answer is and why this is the case, but it has been my experience.
Misery loves company.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:48 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Because most single people don't want to be around kids.
Because sitters are very expensive.

That's pretty much it. If you are a single person who loves kids, you won't have any problems befriending couples with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships