Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 05:04 PM

61 posts, read 70,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If someone feels he or she should be a different gender, who am I to say he or she is wrong. Just because you say it is wrong, doesn't make it wrong. And I doubt that the botched circumcision case is the cause of people deciding they are pangendered or have a fluid gender.

And, if I remember correctly the boy in question identified strongly with being male, in spite of the conditioning he received to be female. So, his sexual identification was in place at birth.

Isn't this what these people are saying? Their sexual or gender identification was in place in birth, whether or not their equipment matched their identification. Sometimes, apparently, the brain does not match the equipment.
Exactly.

Honestly, is it really a problem for some people to call others a different name? Or is it something deeper? Sometimes, religion and morals are behind these comments. Why else would anyone waste their lives complaining about what a different person wants to be called?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 09:51 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burltodenver View Post
Are you trained in psychiatry? Do you know what really constitutes a mental illness? I suspect not. You act as if these people belong in some insane asylum, all because someone changes their name and how they would like to be referred to. That is their choice, their freedom.

Don't like it? Tough.

We live in America. That means, I don't have to care whether you want to call me Bill, Fred, or Mary. However, you DO need to respect people's individual choices.
Actually, no I don't. I don't have to respect anything that you want.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burltodenver View Post
Exactly.

Honestly, is it really a problem for some people to call others a different name? Or is it something deeper? Sometimes, religion and morals are behind these comments. Why else would anyone waste their lives complaining about what a different person wants to be called?
I don't know the answer. I'd hate to think religion or morals would deny someone's desire to be treated with respect.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:25 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
A closed mind is just that. There is no reasoning with one and it's pointless to argue with one.

Interesting how some of these threads really show what some people are like. Those that are so close minded that it really is unsettling. I honestly thought as a whole, our society was getting better about not judging an individual's sexuality.

Bullying is alive and well still. In this technological era, it is showing its face blatantly all the while hiding the person behind the keyboard.

I still don't think we should have labels, it makes it easier for those bullies to find their targets.

I stand by my earlier statement: Labels cause division.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:26 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Question wow...

It was so much simpler when we were simply 'men' and 'women'...
Koale

Old 03-24-2017, 04:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
It was so much simpler when we were simply 'men' and 'women'...
Koale
But, that wasn't the reality for a lot of people, no? What you are really saying is that everyone thought that sexuality was binary. Now, we are coming to understand this is not necessarily the case with some people, or that one's sexual identity is different from one's gender identity. At least this is how I understand this issue.

So many people through the ages have been misunderstood, and harmed because they did not fit the current norms. I am sure that all along there were people who wished they could be another sex, because they felt strongly they were another gender.

Years and years ago I read a short story by Truman Capote that involved a young boy stealing his grandmother's locket to pay for a Black "wise woman" to change him to a little girl. The pain was palpable in that story, and I have never forgotten it. My assumption is that little boy was Capote himself.

Much of our sense of rightness is inherited from patriarchal societies which have had strong rules and beliefs about men's and women's roles. These ideas are fixed in our culture, and they have lead to plenty of abuse just between men and women who are normative. It is time that we understand that when someone tells us that he, or she, feels different than what they appear to be, it is valid. I realize that change is very scary, but I do believe that we are a culture with enough strength and love to encompass everyone.

And all God's children deserve respect.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:14 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I'm way too logical to play the current social games with made up words and identities. People can fantasize all they want about being a special person based on this trait or their love of that, but in the end we are men and women, highly varied yet basically the same. Change isn't scary, but ignoring reality always ends up that way because society can't function if it's based on "whatever". That's just a fact.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:03 PM

983 posts, read 737,637 times
I for one am a non-binary genderfluid dragonborn khajeet.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:04 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don't know the answer. I'd hate to think religion or morals would deny someone's desire to be treated with respect.
Define respect.

Should all people be treated with courtesy and basic appropriate manners? Yes.

Should all people be respected regardless of their actions/beliefs? No.

There's a difference. Common courtesy for all, yes. Respect, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships